Windows 10: How to prevent the start menu from closing when a shortcut or icon is executed by clicking?

Discus and support How to prevent the start menu from closing when a shortcut or icon is executed by clicking? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I don't have icons on my desktop as I keep them all in the start menu since I like it that way. However, it becomes a little annoying to hit start,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gaderic, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Gaderic Win User

How to prevent the start menu from closing when a shortcut or icon is executed by clicking?

I don't have icons on my desktop as I keep them all in the start menu since I like it that way. However, it becomes a little annoying to hit start, open browser, hit start, open program, hit start, open program, hit start, etc I want the start menu to stay open till hit start again or click somewhere off the menu.

I tried looking for options in windows and around other forums but it seems my question is not very popular.

So is it even possible?

:)

Gaderic, Mar 15, 2019

2. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Darknova Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Naki Win User

How to prevent the start menu from closing when a shortcut or icon is executed by clicking?

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

1. How to prevent the start menu from closing when a shortcut or icon is executed by clicking? - Similar Threads - prevent start menu

2. RESOLVED Windows 10 Start Menu automatically closes, can't click shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    RESOLVED Windows 10 Start Menu automatically closes, can't click shortcuts: Resolved by asking for assistance via the Live Chat Widget on Microsoft Support.=========================================================================When I open the Start Menu, I can't even click on any shortcuts I have there and after hovering on any icons, the menu...
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu automatically closes, can't click shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu automatically closes, can't click shortcuts: When I open the Start Menu, I can't even click on any shortcuts I have there and after hovering on any icons, the menu automatically closes after 2-4 seconds.What I've tried that haven't worked:Restarting my laptopRestarting "Windows Explorer" in the Task ManagerRunning sfc...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu automatically closes, can't click shortcuts

Windows 10 Start Menu automatically closes, can't click shortcuts: When I open the Start Menu, I can't even click on any shortcuts I have there and after hovering on any icons, the menu automatically closes after 2-4 seconds.What I've tried that haven't worked:Restarting my laptopRestarting "Windows Explorer" in the Task ManagerRunning sfc...
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu automatically closes, can't click shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Windows Icons/Shortcuts have disappeared from the start menu

Windows Icons/Shortcuts have disappeared from the start menu: This weird problem has been going on with my computer for several weeks. On the windows start menu several of my application icons are gone. When i do a search to open the application it won't find it. The applications are still installed on my computer, I never removed them....
  7. Adding shortcut icon to the start menu

Adding shortcut icon to the start menu: I have created a powershell script for a custom shutdown. Is it possible to add the shortcut icon to the start menu. See image. [img] 159199
  8. Prevent Windows Update from removing Explorer.exe shortcut from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prevent Windows Update from removing Explorer.exe shortcut from Start Menu: I do not like to use the default Explorer shortcut. It has no accessible properties, and only allows multiple instances if you enable "Open each folder in a new window" from settings, an entirely different - and undesired - behavior. I've therefore simply created a shortcut...
  9. Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts: So I'm having this weird bug where I can't click any of my start menu shortcuts when I search up the program (typing) I'm trying to execute but if I manually look for it (using scroll wheel) and clicking on the shortcut the program will execute? I've tried rebuilding my...
  10. Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu: Whenever I move shortcuts to a folder in the Start Menu, a lot of times the icon turns into what appears to be a white blank sheet of paper. I've tried changing the icon, to no avail. They show up just fine in the Start Menu, just not in File Explorer. How do I fix this? 82451