Windows 10: How to prevent updates from continually messing with my computer

Discus and support How to prevent updates from continually messing with my computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an HP G72 laptop with a Symantec touch pad. W10 installed an updated driver for the touch pad the other day and it's incompatable with the pad -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SteveGPhoto, Apr 11, 2016.

1. How to prevent updates from continually messing with my computer

I have an HP G72 laptop with a Symantec touch pad. W10 installed an updated driver for the touch pad the other day and it's incompatable with the pad - scrolling doesn't work.

I rolled back the driver and got the pad working again but Windows keeps reinstalling the driver update.

How can I stop this happening?

:)

SteveGPhoto, Apr 11, 2016

2. Unable to access internet after the update.

The latest Windows 10 update keep preventing my computer from accessing the internet. I have to continually go back to a restore point. How do I prevent this?

Original Title: Update prevents internet access

ComptonHPD, Apr 11, 2016
  3. Woody114 Win User
    Windows updates messing with my computer

It's Feb 2017 and Windows has been trying to update for about 2 weeks now. It will try to install the updates but gets stuck at 87%. I leave it for hours but it doesn't move, so I reboot, and this time it gets stuck at 95% and then I reboot again and it
    gets stuck at 99%, and then 87% again. I leave it overnight, and then reboot because nothing happened. Next time it got stuck at 100%. Again, I left it for hours, but the update did not finish. Sometimes it tries to Configure the Updates, and again, takes
    many hours, gets stuck, and needs to be rebooted so that I can use my computer. This has taken many hours of my time when I cannot use my computer (which I need for work).

What is the problem??? My computer is about 5 years old and had a new hard drive installed last fall. Why won't this update install?(This scenario happens with every update since Windows 10 came on the scene).

Woody114, Apr 11, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How to prevent updates from continually messing with my computer

Brink, Apr 11, 2016
  5. The HP support site only shows 7 and 10 supported for that model if the same as seen at the support site. HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

The support site indicated those would be through the WU not having any separate downloads available. You might be seeing the updates for a different model series being installed by the WU. Otherwise if updates had been made available you could have tried the 8.1 updates instead to see if that would correct the problem. HP G72-262NR Notebook PC or other model?

Night Hawk, Apr 12, 2016
  6. Hi Brink,

Thanks for the information. I have managed to turn off autmatic updating of devices and drivers and after a couple of reboots all is good.

Job done *Biggrin

SteveGPhoto, Apr 13, 2016
  7. Hi NightHawk,

I found the same thing on the HP website but managed to get the latest driver from the Symantec one.

Following the info from Brink this is now resolved ... I hope *Biggrin

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

SteveGPhoto, Apr 13, 2016
  8. RWOne Win User

I have the same issue on my HP DV7 laptop, however I've found that disable to be hit or miss. That said though, that laptop is on the fast ring, lots of builds it's been through and still kicking butt.

RWOne, Apr 13, 2016
  9. That figures! Often you will find yourself at a particular manufacturer's site looking for something when HP or some other OEM doesn't carry what you need. Too often the correct updates are not being maintained at the OEM sites themselves. That is also a well known issue for AMD/ATI, Intel, NVidia, AMI, SIS, Award, etc. where you end up chasing around trying to look something up. Been there done that enough times! Glad to hear you were able to find what you needed quickly however! *Smile

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent updates from continually messing with my computer - Similar Threads - prevent updates continually

2. Update messed my computer up!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update messed my computer up!: A couple of weeks ago windows did an update. When it did it made the whole system run extremely slow and sluggish. I did the trouble shooter thing and now I can not get to my pictures ,settings, email, microsoft store, pretty much everything. I right click on the start button...
  3. Update messed my computer up!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update messed my computer up!: A couple of weeks ago windows did an update. When it did it made the whole system run extremely slow and sluggish. I did the trouble shooter thing and now I can not get to my pictures ,settings, email, microsoft store, pretty much everything. I right click on the start button...
  4. Update messed up my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update messed up my computer: After the latest update I woke up to find All but three Desktop icons and all my start menu Icons had disappeared,along with numerous programmes and apps not working, I spent a couple of days trying to rectify the problems, got one or two apps to work, then uninstalled the...
  5. How can I prevent the Microsoft Store from updating continuously?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How can I prevent the Microsoft Store from updating continuously?: I tried many times such as: Using an available tool like wsreset.exe, then reinstalling Microsoft Store still does not work, even I reset Microsoft Store still cannot. When I click on the Get Updates button, there are updates coming out. Although it has already updated, but...
  6. New update is messing with my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New update is messing with my computer: Hi! I just recently got a new computer and it worked flawlessly until today. There was an update when I shut off my computer last night and today while using chrome it has occasionally froze for 5-10 seconds and all my monitors turn black. When it turns back on everything in...
  7. How To verify what is preventing my computer from updating to Update 2004

How To verify what is preventing my computer from updating to Update 2004: I checked all the open issues and nothing is related to what I have on my computer.. is there anywhere on my PC that I can check why my Windows install don't like the new update? submitted by /u/DiReis [link] [comments]...
  8. How do I prevent the latest update from bricking my computer?

How do I prevent the latest update from bricking my computer?: I noticed that windows was threatening to install updates on the next reboot (I had thought I blocked all the windows update servers in the host file but I guess they made more or something) I looked it up and apparently lots of people can't boot their computer after this...
  9. update messed up my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update messed up my computer: I cannot describe with simple words how much I hate Windows 10, this last updated messed up my computer AGAIN to a degree my whole desktop Disappeared, all my pin apps are not any where I can find, It crashes and restart out of the blue when I am in the middle of call and...
  10. updates preventing my computer from shutting down

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    updates preventing my computer from shutting down: i keep getting this message. i have already disabled automatic updates through group policy editor. [img] 103389