Windows 10: How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge

Discus and support How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; At times, you might not want to allow other users to download files on your computer. If you are using the Microsoft Edge browser, things are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 9, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge

At times, you might not want to allow other users to download files on your computer. If you are using the Microsoft Edge browser, things are relatively straightforward. Here is how to prevent users from downloading files in the Edge browser. You can set the filter for everyone using the Registry Editor and the Local Group Policy Editor.

The process is similar to blocking downloads in Chrome or Firefox browsers. You do not have to download third-party extensions or software since the Registry Editor and the Local Group Policy Editor can do the job for you.

To prevent users from downloading files in Edge using Registry, follow these steps-

1. Press Win+R to open the Run prompt.
    2. Type regedit, and press the Enter button.
    3. Click the Yes button.
    4. Navigate to Microsoft in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    5. Right-click on Microsoft > New > Key.
    6. Name it Edge.
    7. Right-click on Edge > New > Key.
    8. Name it Recommended.
    9. Right-click on Recommended > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    10. Name it DownloadRestrictions.
    11. Double-click on it to set the Value data as 1/2/3.
    12. Click the OK button.

It is recommended to backup all Registry files before making any change.

First, press Win+R, type regedit and press the Enter button. It should show the UAC prompt on your screen. If yes, click on the Yes button. Then, navigate to the following path-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

Right-click on Microsoft > New > Key and name it as Edge.

Right-click on Edge > New > Key and name it as Recommended.

How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge prevent-users-downloading-files-edge.png

Right-click on Recommended > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it as DownloadRestrictions.

How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge prevent-users-downloading-files-edge-1.png

Now, double-click on it and set the Value data as mentioned below.

• Block dangerous downloads: 1
    • Block potentially dangerous and unwanted downloads: 2
    • Block all downloads: 3

How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge prevent-users-downloading-files-edge-2.png

It is recommended to set the Value data as 3 and click the OK button to save the change.

After that, you can’t download any file in your Edge browser. If you want to revert the change and download files, double-click on the DownloadRestrictions DWORD Value and set the Value data as 0.

How to allow or block file downloads in Edge using Group Policy

To allow or block file downloads in Edge, follow these steps-

1. Search for gpedit.msc in the Taskbar search box and click the individual result.
    2. Navigate to Microsoft Edge – Default Settings in Computer Configuration.
    3. Double-click on the Allow download restrictions setting.
    4. Select the Enabled option.
    5. Choose Block all downloads option.
    6. Click the OK button.

It is required to download Group Policy Templates for the Edge browser before going forward.

To get started, search for gpedit.msc in the Taskbar search box and click on the respective result to open the Local Group Policy Editor. Following that, navigate to this path-

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Classic Administrative Templates > Microsoft Edge - Default Settings

On your right-hand side, you can see a setting called Allow download restrictions.

By default, it is set as Not Configured. You have to double-click on it, select the Enabled option, choose the Block all downloads option, and click the OK button.

How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge prevent-users-downloading-files-edge-3.png

Alternatively, you can choose two more options-

• Block dangerous downloads
    • Block potentially dangerous and unwanted downloads

In case you want to continue downloading files in the Edge browser, choose the Not Configured option as it was before.

Hope this tutorial helps.

How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge prevent-users-downloading-files-edge-3.png
    This article How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Mar 9, 2021

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 9, 2021
  3. How can I set EDGE to by default download to D:\Downloads

Hi:

I do not use Edge, but here is one suggested method (it dates from Aug 2015, but I presume the steps are still valid):

How to change the default Microsoft Edge download location - gHacks Tech News

EDIT: And here is a tutorial right here in tenforums.com:
    Microsoft Edge Downloads Folder - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Mar 9, 2021
  4. How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge

Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

1. Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    2. Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

1. Click the Start button
    2. Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

1. How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge - Similar Threads - prevent users downloading

2. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??: everytime i change the default Pdf viewer after couple of restart edge became again the main pdf viewer, how can i stop that ??thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-edge-to-open-pdf-files/305cdbe3-8e9b-4c88-9d49-48a90904b2eb
  3. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??: everytime i change the default Pdf viewer after couple of restart edge became again the main pdf viewer, how can i stop that ??thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-edge-to-open-pdf-files/305cdbe3-8e9b-4c88-9d49-48a90904b2eb
  4. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  6. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  7. How to prevent users from importing data from other browsers into Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from importing data from other browsers into Edge: It is possible to import browsing data, saved passwords, etc., from other browsers in Edge. But if you wish, you can stop or prevent users from importing data into Edge using Registry Editor and Local Group Policy Editor. You can allow or block autofill form data, browser...
  8. How to prevent users from installing extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from installing extensions in Microsoft Edge: You can prevent others from installing extensions in Microsoft Edge using the Registry Editor and the Local Group Policy Editor. Although extensions are supposed to enhance your user experience, at times, they might make things worse. You can therefore block others from...
  9. Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -...: Hey, I'm having issues downloading certain files on my desktop PC (latest Windows 10). Things like https://download.jetbrains.com/idea/ideaIC-2020.2.2.exe and https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/architect/ just cause an error with the message...
  10. How to prevent users from adding new profile in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from adding new profile in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]If you want to prevent users from adding a new profile in Microsoft Edge, then here’s how you go about doing it. You can block […] This article How to prevent users from adding new profile in Microsoft Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...