Windows 10: How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS

Discus and support How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Looking for advice please. I have a laptop currently running Version 1809 OS Build 17763.10390 And, for my purposes it works perfectly. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JustRayInWisconsin, Feb 24, 2020.

1. How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS

Looking for advice please.

I have a laptop currently running Version 1809 OS Build 17763.10390

And, for my purposes it works perfectly.

However, the laptop is always telling me I need to update to a newer version of Win 10.

I would be glad to except ..........

My laptop has a 32 Gb hard drive.

And try as I may to free up space, it is simply not in the cards.

Everything I run is via a browser.

So I don't really have enough of the suggested objects that might be deleted to make a difference.

Even when trying to use external storage along with no page file at all, the upgrade still wants 8 Gb of free space on my C drive.

I understand the real solution to my space issue is a larger hard drive.

But for now, that isn't in the cards either.

This laptop has wireless connectivity to the Internet.

I have heard that setting the WiFi connection to "metered", might help with delaying of stopping updates altogether.

Or, would more need to be done ?

Thanks in advance for thoughts or suggestions.

:)

JustRayInWisconsin, Feb 24, 2020

2. Update Windows 10 to 1809 manually

It's been a while after Microsoft released an update to fix issues in the initial Windows 10 1809 update. But the page where we can download the updates as standalone packages still has a hole instead of download link to the 1809.17763.1 version package:

How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS IrC85.png

Windows 10 Update Assistant page is useless as well, since it offers to download April 2018 Update, lol.

So, I can't update my 1803.17134.376 to 1809 even after more than a month since it's initially was released.

(Of course, "drastically improved" Windows Update doesn't suggest the 1809 update, too. Actually, it has been never working on this Win 10 copy, so I used to download all the updates manually via the first link in this post.)

Has anybody figured out a way of how to manually update from 1803 to 1809?

Without hardcore stuff, please, like making bootable media which potentially would have a great chance of destroying the currently installed Win 10 copy How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS :)

UPDATE: I was completely confused by that "Microsoft recommends" wording near the 1809 update on that page and some top articles in Google saying that it was released and ready for production with that quick patch. So, this question is from this confusion.

Thanks to comments below and @music2myear answer, it's clear now that 1809 is still not released. So, there is no point in update attempts (at least for me) at the moment.

Alexander Abakumov, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Problem with Windows update -2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)

I completed all of the troubleshooting steps listed the "article" that you provided with ZERO success. I completed all of the suggestions offered by others (thank you for trying to help) with no success. I finally bit the bullet and contacted Microsoft
    online help. They agreed to a telephone and remote session during which the Microsoft tech repeated all of the troubleshooting steps that Dell Technical Support unsuccessfully tried and all of the steps listed in the "article", including a few additional
    steps, with the same unsuccessful results. The Microsoft tech then downloaded an OS 1709 iso that had all of the updates up to KB4056892. The OS was successfully installed with no impact to any of my other installed programs, following which I successfully
    installed the previously failed update as well as one other. The whole troubleshooting process with the Microsoft Tech (including initializing the Win 10 iso download) took about 2 hours, plus about an additional hour to install the Win 10 iso that was initialized
    by the Microsoft Tech.

RichardArmellino, Feb 24, 2020
  4. How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS

Problem with Windows update -2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)

sorry haven't completed all the steps yet but wasn't sure to let you know as soon as I get to good results

Rex (live.com, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS

1. How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS - Similar Threads - prevent 1809 trying

2. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  3. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  4. The Win OS downloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Win OS downloads: I downloaded win 8.1 iso and it did not tell me I had to pay for a product key so I spent 2 hours downloading and I still don't know where to find a key other than free ones from the internet, I hope they work, sorry. if you have them for free please contact me at : *** Email...
  5. The Win OS downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Win OS downloads: I downloaded win 8.1 iso and it did not tell me I had to pay for a product key so I spent 2 hours downloading and I still don't know where to find a key other than free ones from the internet, I hope they work, sorry. if you have them for free please contact me at : *** Email...
  6. How to prevent forced feature update from 1809?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to prevent forced feature update from 1809?: I am running Windows 10 Home, version 1809. I have software on my device that will not be compatible with 1903 or later. How do I prevent or defer the forced feature update to 1909 that is being pushed to my device?...
  7. Update Win 10 from 1809 to1903

Update Win 10 from 1809 to1903: Scan computers (uk) 3XS System. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz RAM 16.0 GB 64-bit op system Windows 10 Home Version 1809 (Installed 03-10-2018) OS build 17763.557 I have tried repeatedly to update to Version 1903 but startup sticks at screen with a circle...
  8. Win 10 update 1809

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 update 1809: Printer (wifi) will not print. I troubleshooted, reconnected printer with wifi. Error printing. ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-update-1809/99efbbf6-1d7a-4d11-86c6-d1fc3e8d6c43
  9. How to prevent downloading updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to prevent downloading updates?: While I do know it is Microsoft's policy to automatically update Windows, I would really appreciate some control of my own PC, and I alone decide when (and if) I want to download updates. I also happen to have a Tronsmart mini-PC which doesn't have much computing power,...
  10. Win 10 upgrade failed. How to prevent it from being tried again?

Win 10 upgrade failed. How to prevent it from being tried again?: Aloha, I've got a couple of Win 8.1 machines where I discovered that the upgrade to Win 10 was attempted (and I did not ask for this) and failed. At this point I really don't want to install Win 10, I just want to prevent my machines from trying to install it again....