Windows 10: How to prevent win10 from powering on during hibernate or poweroff

Discus and support How to prevent win10 from powering on during hibernate or poweroff in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It seems now the MS don't want you to turn off your PC and want you to leave it on 24/7, which seems a bit suspicious to me. I have had win10 v1909... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TerrySaunders2, Aug 23, 2020.

1. How to prevent win10 from powering on during hibernate or poweroff

It seems now the MS don't want you to turn off your PC and want you to leave it on 24/7, which seems a bit suspicious to me.

I have had win10 v1909 installed for some time now, and it's been regularly updated, but this update with the new Edge, has caused my computer to keep restarting every day at 5:15am regardless of if the PC is in a sleep, hibernate or powered off state, so for everyone that is having the same problem, and have done everything suggested from checking the WOL setting in BIOS, to looking up all the schedules in the win10 scheduler, and nothing has worked, there is ONLY one proved method that WILL stop the PC from waking up and that is to literally pull the plug, but not during a sleep state, this only works after entering into hibernate or a power off state, guaranteed to STOP the PC from waking up.

Even better if you install a DPDT Double Pole, Double Throw toggle switch just under the desk in one corner connected to an outlet where the computer is plugged into, then after you've powered down, or put the PC into hibernate flip the switch to ensure the PC doesn't wake up.

Why MS don't want people to power of their PC's is beyond me, but yesterday I installed a power switch under my desk, and now us it to literally STOP the PC from waking up.

:)

TerrySaunders2, Aug 23, 2020

2. Power Hibernate Option Stops Working Correctly after Win10 1809 Upgrade

Hi Nikhar Khare,

Many thanks for taking the time to look into the problem.

To answer your questions:

• Is this happening all the time or is it intermittent? A: It has been happening all time ever the first boot-up since the Ver 1809 upgrade whenever the PC was turned hibernate either by Home key > power logo> Hibernate or by pressing
      the power button (which was set as hibernate. The hibernate function worked well up until last boot-up before the upgrade.
    • What is the make and model of your computer? A:
      The PC is a Dell Inspiron laptop. OS is Win 10 Home V1809 64-bit Build 17763.1
    Execution of your suggested solution protocol did not solve the problem.

Hopefully you can suggest other solutions for trying.

Regards!

JamesYoung888, Aug 23, 2020
  3. Ernie San Win User
    hibernate, but shuts down

Hello,

We suggest to manually setup hibernation on your computer. You may follow the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize.
    • Click Lock screen>Screen saver settings>Change power settings>Choose what the power buttons do.

• Change the settings When I press the power button, click
      hibernate.
    • Click Save changes.
    Keep us posted.

Regards.

Ernie San, Aug 23, 2020
  4. How to prevent win10 from powering on during hibernate or poweroff

i have no hibernate option in win10

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if the issue persists:

• Press Windows key to launch Start screen.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes and click on Troubleshooting.
    • In the new window, click View all on the left pane.
    • In the list of options, click on Power.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Method 2: Reset and restore the power plans to default

I suggest you to reset the power settings and check if it helps. Follow the steps to restore the power settings:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Choose Command prompt (Admin) from the context menu.
    • In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit command prompt.
    • Check whether you are getting the Hibernate option.
    Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any customized power plans are would be removed.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

How to prevent win10 from powering on during hibernate or poweroff

1. How to prevent win10 from powering on during hibernate or poweroff - Similar Threads - prevent win10 powering

2. How do I prevent my windows 10 laptop from automatically powering on from hibernate?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I prevent my windows 10 laptop from automatically powering on from hibernate?: Hi,I am running Windows 10 Home on a laptop. In an effort to stop my battery from running out when I walk away from my laptop, I have enabled the laptop to hibernate. I am consistently having a problem in which I put the laptop to hibernate - everything appears to be...
  3. How do I prevent my windows 10 laptop from automatically powering on from hibernate?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent my windows 10 laptop from automatically powering on from hibernate?: Hi,I am running Windows 10 Home on a laptop. In an effort to stop my battery from running out when I walk away from my laptop, I have enabled the laptop to hibernate. I am consistently having a problem in which I put the laptop to hibernate - everything appears to be...
  4. How do I prevent my windows 10 laptop from automatically powering on from hibernate?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD driver power state failure on poweroff

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD driver power state failure on poweroff: I have a laptop HP 4340S. Upgraded RAM from 4 gb to 8 gb and set SSD. I installed windows 10, and i got 2 problems: 1 When i set turn off it waits about 2 minutes, then i got BSOD "DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE" 2 Bluetooth module working bad - constantly disconnecting with...
  6. How do I prevent Win10 rebooting during the night ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prevent Win10 rebooting during the night ?: I am copying a large amount of data to the network, and doing this overnight. Frustratingly, Windows 10 has decided to reboot a few times during the night and this has caused the copy to stop etc. I already renamed the Reboot file to Reboot.old in this directory:...
  7. How do I prevent Win10 rebooting during the night ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I prevent Win10 rebooting during the night ?: I am copying a large amount of data to the network, and doing this overnight. Frustratingly, Windows 10 has decided to reboot a few times during the night and this has caused the copy to stop etc. I already renamed the Reboot file to Reboot.old in this directory:...
  8. How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep

How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep: In Windows 10 version 1909, how do I prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep? I don't want my PC to wake from mouse and keyboard movements, but I am maybe okay for it to wake to install updates but if it does this, I'd like it to put itself back into...
  9. How to prevent Windows 10 from waking up from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent Windows 10 from waking up from hibernate: How to prevent Windows 10 from waking up from hibernate from keyboard or mouse ? I want it to wake up only from power button 128925
  10. Remover Power Supply during Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep?

Remover Power Supply during Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep?: Hello all, I have 3 questions regarding putting a PC into a lower energystate. 1. Can the PC be damaged if I turn off and remove the Power Supply and opening the case to clean the PC, while the PC is in Hibernation Mode instead of having it fully shut down? 2. I've...