Windows 10: How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?

Discus and support How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 on three computers. After updating Windows, my default handler of PDF-files is changed to Edge. I want to use Acrobat Reader.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Edwinvan der Vuurst, Mar 4, 2020.

1. How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?

I'm using Windows 10 on three computers. After updating Windows, my default handler of PDF-files is changed to Edge. I want to use Acrobat Reader.

:)

Edwinvan der Vuurst, Mar 4, 2020
  2. ConiGL Win User

How to Prevent Windows 10 Changing Default Apps/Programs

I hope this will help you.

How to Change the Default PDF Viewer in Windows 10?

Changing the Default PDF Viewer in Windows 10
    1. Click on Start Menu > Settings > Apps > Default apps

2. Scroll down and click ‘Choose default Apps by file type

3. Scroll down and look for .pdf file type on the left side, click on default PDF viewer (here it is ‘Microsoft Edge’) to select, once ‘Choose an app’ popup opens, select the
    PDF application you want to set as default, done.

Hopefully your choices will stick.

Why do my PDF file associations get reset every time I restart? | The Old New Thing

A customer reported that each time they restart their Windows 10 PC, the file association for PDF documents keeps getting reset to the default, which is Microsoft Edge. They use the "Set Default Programs" control panel to change the default handler to Program X,
    but the changes don't stick past a reboot.

The feature team for file associations explained that Windows 10 changed the way the user's file associations are recorded. Program X wants to set itself as the user's preferred handler, but they want to do so without requiring the user to confirm the change.
    How considerate of them. So they manipulate the registry keys directly. (I bet somebody got a really nice bonus for that
    feature
    .) But they are manipulating them the pre-Windows 10 way. This means that Windows 10 detects the settings as corrupted and throws them away, causing the handler to fall back to the system default.

The customer has a few choices here.

The obvious choice is to stop using Program X. Easier said than done. Program X is probably essential to the customer's workflow. That's why they want to set it as the default!

Another option is to work with the vendors who produce Program X and get them to stop mucking around in internal registry keys. (Good luck with that.)

Yet another option is to set the system default handler to Program X, so that when Program X accidentally-on-purpose corrupts the user preferences, Windows 10 falls back to the system default, which now happens to be Program X.

It does mean that the user won't be able to change their default handler to anything
    other than Program X. But given that Program X is corrupting the user preferences, this is the best you can hope for, assuming you are required to keep using Program X.

ConiGL, Mar 4, 2020
  3. FrankS Win User
    Unhandled Extension Handler Finder?

Yup, I already did that in 'Choose default applications by type'.
    JPG, PNG & TIF are set to Windows Photo Viewer but beneath item in the list of file types Windows lists their default application.
    For example .PDF has a description of Adobe Acrobat Document followed by the application - in that case it is of course Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    However, .PNG (& other common graphic files) is described as Unhandled Extension Handler Finder followed by the application Windows Photos Viewer.
    I can readily change the default application but it makes no difference to the description/type: Unhandled Extension Handler Finder

FrankS, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Robert_S. Win User

How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?

When trying to set Protocol Handler in Chrome, (for Bitcoin, Gmail, Etc) Windows gives me a dialog box that states "To change your default apps, go to Settings > System > Default Apps"

Vanessa,

I can not determine if this is an issue in Edge or IE because I do not use those browsers, however Chrome is acting as it should and adding the protocols to it's "Handlers" section. It is Windows 10 that is getting in the way, and when I try to save
    the settings I get a Windows toast message preventing it. I went into
    Settings > System > Default Apps > Choose default apps by protocol and was able to switch my 'mailto' handler to Chrome and Windows stepped out of the way and allowed Chrome to save that setting... Now I need to set my Bitcoin protocol.

How do I add a new protocol 'URL:Bitcoin' to that list so I can set it to Chrome?

Robert_S., Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?

1. How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler? - Similar Threads - prevent change default

2. Default PDF handler changes to Edge on every boot or login to Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default PDF handler changes to Edge on every boot or login to Windows: Hi there,I have around 30 people in our org who since last week have started to see that Edge is defaulting to the be the default PDF handler over Adobe Acrobat whenever they boot the machine or log out and log back into Windows. Nothing has changed from us IT to cause this...
  3. Default PDF handler changes to Edge on every boot or login to Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default PDF handler changes to Edge on every boot or login to Windows: Hi there,I have around 30 people in our org who since last week have started to see that Edge is defaulting to the be the default PDF handler over Adobe Acrobat whenever they boot the machine or log out and log back into Windows. Nothing has changed from us IT to cause this...
  4. How to change the default app for .pdf files

How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  5. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  6. Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer

Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer: I have an issue where the default PDF preview handler that drives the Preview pane in MS explorer as well as in MS outlook, defaults to an MS Edge base preview handler. The only way I know of setting it back is by triggering the set to default .pdf reader within my default...
  7. Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer: I have an issue where the default PDF preview handler that drives the Preview pane in MS explorer as well as in MS outlook, defaults to an MS Edge base preview handler. The only way I know of setting it back is by triggering the set to default .pdf reader within my default...
  8. Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Windows changes my PDF default

Windows changes my PDF default: For the past few days, my Windows PDF default keeps changing from Kofax Power PDF to Acrobat. This happens whether I use "open with" and check "always or tell Kofax Power PDF it IS the default when it finds it isn't when it opens and, of course, by setting in in Windows...
  10. Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App

Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App: I'm using Nitro pro as my default pdf reader, editor. Win 10 keeps changing it every time to MS Edge. How can I stop this behaviour? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/prevent-windows-from-changing-default-pdf-app/12c74e04-52d8-45bc-b8a6-95aeaa200df9