Windows 10: How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

Discus and support How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello all, I’ve been trying to tackle this issue all day and it’s starting to drive me mad. I was troubleshooting something else on my system and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rddsknk89, Oct 1, 2020.

1. How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

Hello all, I’ve been trying to tackle this issue all day and it’s starting to drive me mad. I was troubleshooting something else on my system and I realized that I have a piece of hardware that has never been installed correctly. This is the device I’m trying I’m trying to install correctly. The device itself doesn’t matter, but the manufacturer has drivers made specifically for this device, but Windows 10 has chosen to install generic USB audio drivers instead. This is preventing me from using the device properly in my DAW. When I go into device manager to try and install the driver manually, Windows tells me that the best drivers are already installed. This is NOT correct. I’ve tried everything that I could find online: Uninstalling old drivers; changing Windows update settings; booting into safe mode without internet access, then removing old drivers and trying to install the correct ones; and NOTHING WORKS. Windows ALWAYS finds a way to install the incorrect drivers DURING THE INSTALLATION of the correct ones, and the installer of the correct drivers gives me error “0x0005,” which is a timeout error. I can only assume that this is because Windows has already installed something in its place and the installer doesn’t know what to do. This is a huge issue, but all I need is to prevent Windows from installing the generic “USB Audio Codec” drivers. The firmware for the device won’t even install because it doesn’t think a device is connected, probably because the driver is wrong. I’m completely at a loss and I don’t think I’ve ever been this frustrated trying to troubleshoot something that seems like a simple fix.

submitted by /u/rddsknk89
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rddsknk89, Oct 1, 2020

2. Automatic GPU drivers installed

Hey guys for the past 6 months I've been running a gtx 580 and I've just sent it back today as part of the step up program to get the gtx 680. For the next 2 weeks I will be using my old 9800 gtx+. I installed the card and booted the computer and upon getting to the windows screen, windows searched automatically online and installed drivers. I rebooted and checked the driver version, and sure enough, it had found and installed the latest drivers for my card.

I've always manually installed drivers by starting up the nvidia process and all that, what windows did, was it a sufficient driver install? When I get the gtx 680, I'm assuming it will do this again, would it be a smart idea to manually install the driver or would windows version do the exact same thing? Thanks guys.

lwgnlseven, Oct 1, 2020
  3. wolf2009 Win User
    Stop windows automatic driver install

I'm having a problem with installing a nvidia card. windows 7 automatically installs some wdm 1.1 drivers, then when i install the 195.39 drivers, it gives me less performance. like the cards lags in games when it should run fine.

how can i stop windows from installing the drivers automatically ?

i tried checking the "don't install drivers from windows update" in device manager. it still installs it.

wolf2009, Oct 1, 2020
  4. How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

windows automatic driver install

whenever i uninstall my video card drivers and reboot windows will install some random drivers and wont let me stop it. ive checked off the option to not automatically install drivers in advanced system settings but it still does it. how can i stop this?

madswimmer, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

1. How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers? - Similar Threads - prevent automatically installing

2. how to prevent Win10 from installing it's own VGA Driver through windows update automatically ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to prevent Win10 from installing it's own VGA Driver through windows update automatically ?: been experiencing this annoying auto update download that i can't stop even after disabling it in Group Policy and in Servicesi have a perfectly working AMD Adrenalin Driver already but this windows update still downloading and stalling a completely broken drivers.it pisses...
  3. Prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?: Hi allI have a very specific computer setup which requires me to install specific drivers. Unfortunately, Windows constantly installs drivers which I do not want.There are written articles which can be found through a simple web search, but absolutely none of them work. I...
  4. Prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?: Hi allI have a very specific computer setup which requires me to install specific drivers. Unfortunately, Windows constantly installs drivers which I do not want.There are written articles which can be found through a simple web search, but absolutely none of them work. I...
  5. How to Prevent Windows 10 Automatic Driver Downloading and Installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Prevent Windows 10 Automatic Driver Downloading and Installation: I have over 15 years experience with Windows. I have observed every single solution on google, every solution on Microsoft's Help, and every possible solution I can think of.Yes, I have gone to System, Advanced System Settings -> Hardware Tab -> Device Installation Settings...
  6. How to prevent update previews from installing automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent update previews from installing automatically: I am starting a new thread for this question since no one helped me on my prior thread. Each time there is a optional update preview for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 20H2 it automatically installs without even notifying me that it is pending. There must...
  7. Prevent automatic driver installations

Prevent automatic driver installations: After upgrading my pc to windows 10, the os seems to install serval drivers automatically without notifying about the driver packages. I want to disable this feature and prevent windows from downloading drivers automatically...
  8. How to prevent a network driver from automatically installing? Specifically, Intel - Net -...

How to prevent a network driver from automatically installing? Specifically, Intel - Net -...: Okay, the reason why I want to prevent this exact update from installing is because it causes a Wifi malfunction for me, wherein every other 20 minutes or so, the Wifi will automatically disconnect, and I have to manually reconnect to the wifi after 1 minute. It is extremely...
  9. How to prevent automatic install of nvidia display driver

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to prevent automatic install of nvidia display driver: I recently moved from nvidia to AMD but windows update still install nvidia display driver! how to prevent that ? 148594
  10. How to prevent Windows installing video driver updates automatically?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to prevent Windows installing video driver updates automatically?: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and I manually install nVidia graphic driver updates as soon as they are available as I am an avid gamer. However, since February, every time I try to run nVidia's driver install program, it has abended. I end up having to go into safe mode,...