Windows 10: How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically

Discus and support How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If your Windows PC is connected to a wireless network all the time or regularly, you may have noticed that it is sometimes switching between different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 24, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically

If your Windows PC is connected to a wireless network all the time or regularly, you may have noticed that it is sometimes switching between different networks automatically.

A common use case for that is when multiple Wi-fi access points are in the vicinity for which authentication was provided previously. Windows 11 may, in that case, switch from one wireless network to another, if it believes that the other network is the better choice.

While this may be beneficial in the long run, it may lead to disruption, e.g., during downloads, streams, chats, gameplay or other online activity.

When Windows devices are connected to a wireless network for the first time, a profile is created for that connection. This profile includes the password, name of the wireless network and also other parameters that are of importance. This is done out of convenience, as Windows may use the information to reconnect to the wireless network whenever it is in proximity.

Windows uses a network adapter binding priority for network connections. Basically, the operating system picks the highest priority network connection that is available. All other available networks, all with a lower priority, are ignored by Windows. When a higher priority connection becomes available, Windows may attempt to connect to it, and this may be causing the connectivity issues.

How to disable the automatic connection to another Wi-Fi network in Windows

The following step by step instructions help Windows users disable the auto-connect option, so that Windows won't connect to another wireless network automatically, while connected to one already.

Step 1: Open the Start Menu, type Control Panel and select the result to launch the classic Windows Control Panel.

Step 2: Select Network and Internet, and then Network and Sharing Center on the page that opens.

How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically network-sharing-center.png

Step 3: Select the name of the wireless network the PC is connected to right now next to Connections on the page that opens.

How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically network-connection.png

Step 4: Select Wireless Properties when the new Status window opens. The window displays information about the quality of the connection and the connection itself.

How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically wireless-properties-1.png

Step 5: Uncheck the box "Look for other wireless networks while connected to this network". You may also disable the "connect automatically when this network is in range" option, if you don't want the Windows device to connect to it automatically.

How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically look-for-other-wireless-networks.png

Windows won't look for other wireless networks anymore while connected to this network anymore. This means, that you won't run into issues anymore related to the automatic switching of wireless networks while connected to the network.

Note that you may need to repeat the process for other wireless networks, e.g., in other locations or even the same.

Now You: Wireless or cable connections, which do you prefer?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 24, 2023
  2. dljprince Win User

Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

This isn't helpful.

This is clearly a software issue and can't be rectified by playing with wireless settings. Please can Microsoft create a patch? I find that often it stops me logging in as the computer is confused on the networks it is connected to.

I have followed all the suggested steps and it makes no difference as I am not actually connected to the networks that the computer is suggesting I connect automatically to.

Regrads

David

dljprince, Apr 24, 2023
  3. Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

If you have not tried this then you may follow these steps to test if that helps:

• Open "Network and Sharing Center".

• On the left pane, click on the option "Manage wireless networks”.

• Look for those networks where the Security is "Unsecured." Right-click on an unsecured network, then click on "Properties”.

• Make sure that the box next to "Connect automatically when this network is in range," is not checked. Then click on "OK" to save your settings. Repeat the steps to uncheck the box for any other unsecured networks on the list.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Apr 24, 2023
  4. How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically

Losing network connection

Hello Dear, if you have a laptop or a PC with a wireless network adapter, you can see a list of available wireless networks and then connect to one of those networks. The wireless networks will only appear if your PC has a wireless network adapter installed, the adapter is turned on, and the wireless access point is in range.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

2. In the left pane, under Network Tasks, click View available wireless networks.
    In case, If you don't see the network you want to connect to, click Refresh network list. If you see the network but the signal is weak, move the PC closer to the wireless router.

3. Click the network you want to connect to, and then click Connect.

4. If you're connecting to a secure network, type the security key, and then click OK.

I Hope you solve out your query soon.

martinkaren77, Apr 24, 2023
Thema:

How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically

1. How to prevent Windows from connecting to other wireless networks automatically - Similar Threads - prevent connecting wireless

2. How to prevent Windows from automatically connecting to bluetooth devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows from automatically connecting to bluetooth devices: This is a dead simple problem. I have a bluetooth device that you can turn on by connecting to it. It's a simple feature that is usually quite useful. The problem is that whenever Windows boots or wakes up, it will power on the device and connect to it. This is also a problem...
  3. How to prevent Windows from automatically connecting to bluetooth devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent Windows from automatically connecting to bluetooth devices: This is a dead simple problem. I have a bluetooth device that you can turn on by connecting to it. It's a simple feature that is usually quite useful. The problem is that whenever Windows boots or wakes up, it will power on the device and connect to it. This is also a problem...
  4. How to prevent Windows from automatically reconfiguring saved network from 'private' to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows from automatically reconfiguring saved network from 'private' to...: I have a saved personal WiFi network, my mobile phone hotspot. Each time I connect my computer to the network, Windows resets the network's profile to 'public', afterwhich I have to log in as admin and change the profile back to 'private'. This never used to happen with my...
  5. How to prevent Windows from automatically reconfiguring saved network from 'private' to...

How to prevent Windows from automatically reconfiguring saved network from 'private' to...: I have a saved personal WiFi network, my mobile phone hotspot. Each time I connect my computer to the network, Windows resets the network's profile to 'public', afterwhich I have to log in as admin and change the profile back to 'private'. This never used to happen with my...
  6. How to prevent Windows from automatically reconfiguring saved network from 'private' to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. network automatically connect wirelessly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network automatically connect wirelessly: I got a new internet service provider. My laptop will not connect wirelessly to my new network. It does work if i plug in the ethernet cable. I have done s troubleshoot, it states 'this computer is set to manually connect to 'Martin' network. How do I get to automatically...
  8. network automatically connect wirelessly

network automatically connect wirelessly: I got a new internet service provider. My laptop will not connect wirelessly to my new network. It does work if i plug in the ethernet cable. I have done s troubleshoot, it states 'this computer is set to manually connect to 'Martin' network. How do I get to automatically...
  9. network automatically connect wirelessly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Disable automatic connection of a wireless network not in range

Disable automatic connection of a wireless network not in range: I am trying to connect to a network, but it is not shown in the list of available networks. It is in fact available, but it is not shown. When I launch the troubleshooter, it insists on connecting me to a network that I previously had selected as "connect automatically", but...