Windows 10: How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ?

Discus and support How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hey all i have 2 keybard layouts, English and French. So once in a while the keyboard will just change input on its own. Not kidding. i just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smitty, Mar 14, 2016.

1. smitty Win User

How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ?

hey all

i have 2 keybard layouts, English and French.

So once in a while the keyboard will just change input on its own. Not kidding.

i just start my browser to type something in a forum or facebook whatever and the layout changes from one to the other.

Windows is assuming i want to type in French because the interface is in french, but i'm on an english forum.

How can i prevent this odd behavior from happening while letting me choose on my own which layout ?

:)

smitty, Mar 14, 2016
  2. Jack__LIU Win User

Missing feature to switching input language (keyboard layout) without using mouse

Switching keyboard layout without using mouse is missing in Windows 10.

Previously, in Windows 7, we are able to use Control + Shift or customize key combo to switch different keyboard input layout.

In Windows 10, we have move our hands away from keyboard, use the mouse, change keyboard layout, then go to back type.

From this perspective, it seems moving backward.

How do I switch keyboard layout without using mouse?

Jack__LIU, Mar 14, 2016
  3. maattech Win User
    Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) Microsoft Bopomofo - Standard vs HanYu Pinyin

My partner knows how to use standard bopomofo, but I only know how to use pinyin; however, I can't find an easy/quick way to switch between these two keyboard layouts without needing to open the Language Preferences and changing the keyboard layout in
    the Keyboard Options window. Any quicker/easier way to switch between the two keyboard layouts?

maattech, Mar 14, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

If they are both hooked up at the same time, yes the OS can change the layout on the whim. Just get one with the keys silk screened with both English and French on the keys and then you can just make the change on the fly from a shortcut.

bro67, Mar 14, 2016
  5. smitty Win User
    Hooked up at the same time?

1st that won't change anything in windows. windows doesn't change the keyboard layout based on an english or french keyboard.

it should, logically, to adapt itself but it doesn't. never has in the 25 years been using windows.

i've plugged english keyboards on french windows a thousand times and i had to add the us english layout myself, every time.

This is a laptop. no keyboard is "hooked up" it's built in and the keys are physically painted by the manufacturer in both languages. this is nothing new for canada, or anywhere else around the world where bilingualism is the norm.

1 keyboard, 2 language layouts. windows installed us english then i added French cms, us english for easier typing set as default but french for when i need it.

point is, this dual keyboard layout thing switches on its own depending on the browsed sites and its annoying. i want to control when this happens, not let windows assume when i need it.

smitty, Mar 14, 2016
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    In the past I also found Windows sometimes randomly changed the language by itself, however it seems to have stopped doing that now. When I last clean installed Windows I did change the way I had the languages setup, which 'may' be the reason that it's OK for me now. You could try setting it up as per the second screenshot below, however if you already have Windows setup this way anyway, then I'm afraid I'm not sure what causes it.

How I originally had Windows set up (when it used to change by itself) was I had one language as the default Windows language (English United Kingdom) and then two keyboards for that language (United Kingdom and United States International Keyboards). When I needed to type in a language with accented letters, I'd just switch to the United States International keyboard by using either Win Key + Space or the taskbar icon.

How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ? [​IMG]

How I have it setup now (which Windows doesn't seem to change by itself anymore) is two separate main languages. Still the same default Windows language (English United Kingdom), but I also added a separate language and each language now has it's own keyboard assigned to it. Having it set up like this also means spell check works for the respective language you're typing in the Mail app, Browser, etc. and also word suggestions too on Windows Phone (when typing SMS for example).

ARC1020, Mar 14, 2016
  7. smitty Win User
    the problem is i can't add a 2nd language otherwise it also changes all of windows itself after a reboot.

i've disabled the shortcut combo keys in

to not assigned. i don't know if this will fix the problem, i'll keep an eye on it the next few days.

source: Change Key Sequence in Windows 10

smitty, Mar 14, 2016
  8. AndreyT Win User

I have two input languages too - English and Russian - but I never saw them switch by themselves.

BTW, what is your current setting: did you opt for independent input language selection for each running application? Or did you ask Windows to use the same input language for all applications?

AndreyT, Mar 14, 2016
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Windows let you control language used for display, input etc.
    I also find Windows 10 more consistent with switching language. There are some problems with region settings, but can choose which language is fisrt. Advanced settings are in control panel - you can get them from settings also:

AndreTen, Mar 14, 2016
  10. ARC1020 Win User
    You can choose the default device language.

On PC, select ‘Set as Default’ so that the language you want as the main PC language is showing as ‘Windows Display Language’.

On Windows 10 Mobile, the language at the top is the main phone language. To move a language to the top, press and hold a language to get the context menu, then select ‘Move Up’ until it’s at the top. If you don't do this as soon as you add a second language, then when you reboot it will change the phone language and you'll need to change it back again.

ARC1020, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ? - Similar Threads - prevent switching keyboard

2. How to prevent Windows 11 from adding new keyboard layouts at will

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows 11 from adding new keyboard layouts at will: And no, I don't need guides on how to remove keyboard layouts, i can do it myself thank you very much. I just want it to stop adding a layout without my permission. I've been struggling with this for 2 years now...
  3. How to prevent Windows 11 from adding new keyboard layouts at will

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent Windows 11 from adding new keyboard layouts at will: And no, I don't need guides on how to remove keyboard layouts, i can do it myself thank you very much. I just want it to stop adding a layout without my permission. I've been struggling with this for 2 years now...
  4. Prevent keyboard layout change when switching languages

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent keyboard layout change when switching languages: Hello. On windows 10, I have installed both the Italian my native language and Japanese I sometimes type with it keyboards. However, I noticed a very annoying behaviour: once I switch from Italian to Japanese, mykeyboard layout changes too, from Italian correct to English...
  5. Prevent layout changing when switching languages

Prevent layout changing when switching languages: Hello. On windows 10, I have installed both the Italian my native language and Japanese I sometimes type with it keyboards. However, I noticed a very annoying behaviour: once I switch from Italian to Japanese, mykeyboard layout changes too, from Italian correct to English...
  6. Keyboard layout switching issue

Keyboard layout switching issue: Hello, I use Windows 10. In my system there are several combination of language/keyboard layout: - English/United States-International QWERTY - English/US QWERTY - Russian/Russian - French/United States-International QWERTY - French/French AZERTY I try to configure...
  7. Auto-switch keyboard layout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto-switch keyboard layout?: I have 2 keyboards with different layouts (US-International and PT-ABNT2) I switch back and forth between. I currently have a shortcut set to change layouts. Is there any way to configure Windows 10 so it automatically switches to the correct layout based on the keyboard I'm...
  8. How to prevent additional keyboard layouts from coming back?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to prevent additional keyboard layouts from coming back?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jpcrs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fkpzcl/how_to_prevent_additional_keyboard_layouts_from/
  9. How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards: Hello Today (never before) Windows insists on changing my keyboard settings from US International to just US, when I press certain keyboard shortcuts (that I use in another program). I could see the language selector pop up to the right of my screen a few times. I have reset...
  10. How to prevent Windows 10 from automatically adding keyboard layouts US Keyboard

How to prevent Windows 10 from automatically adding keyboard layouts US Keyboard: So every time i Remove the US Keyboard layouts windows 10 adds it again even if i remove it and restart the damn think comes back and i cant change to the keyboard layout i want my windows 10 wont let me. So please help me i want English UK With swedish keyboard layout i dont...