Windows 10: How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards

Discus and support How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Today (never before) Windows insists on changing my keyboard settings from US International to just US, when I press certain keyboard shortcuts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ugcheleuce, Mar 6, 2020.

1. How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards

Hello
    Today (never before) Windows insists on changing my keyboard settings from US International to just US, when I press certain keyboard shortcuts (that I use in another program). I could see the language selector pop up to the right of my screen a few times. I have reset this back to US International a few times via the Start > Settings > Time & Language, but that method has now stopped working. As far as I can see, I have only ONE language (US English) set, and only ONE keyboard (US International), but when I type in any text editor, it doesn't use US International (it uses just US). So now I'm permanently locked of US International (I can reboot, but I don't have time to reboot every few minutes, really). Is there a surefire way to tell Windows 10 that I always, always want to use US International and never, ever anything else?
    Thanks
    Samuel

:)

ugcheleuce, Mar 6, 2020
  2. ARC1020 Win User

How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ?

In the past I also found Windows sometimes randomly changed the language by itself, however it seems to have stopped doing that now. When I last clean installed Windows I did change the way I had the languages setup, which 'may' be the reason that it's OK for me now. You could try setting it up as per the second screenshot below, however if you already have Windows setup this way anyway, then I'm afraid I'm not sure what causes it.

How I originally had Windows set up (when it used to change by itself) was I had one language as the default Windows language (English United Kingdom) and then two keyboards for that language (United Kingdom and United States International Keyboards). When I needed to type in a language with accented letters, I'd just switch to the United States International keyboard by using either Win Key + Space or the taskbar icon.

How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards [​IMG]

How I have it setup now (which Windows doesn't seem to change by itself anymore) is two separate main languages. Still the same default Windows language (English United Kingdom), but I also added a separate language and each language now has it's own keyboard assigned to it. Having it set up like this also means spell check works for the respective language you're typing in the Mail app, Browser, etc. and also word suggestions too on Windows Phone (when typing SMS for example).

How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards [​IMG]

ARC1020, Mar 6, 2020
  3. D3LL Win User
    How to prevent Windows from automatically adding regular US keyboard

These steps should probably help you. Be sure that its not set as default when trying to delete.

D3LL, Mar 6, 2020
  4. Karen Her Win User

How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards

Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard won't connect to Windows 10 Pro through Lindy KM Switch after upgrade from Win7 Pro

Hi,

The issue might occur if the device is not compatible with Windows 10. Since you mentioned that it's not working if the keyboard is connected to Lindy KM Switch. To troubleshoot the issue, we suggest that you check if the keyboard will be detected by your
    PC while it’s connected to Lindy KM Switch. Follow the steps below to check:

• Right-click on the Start menu and select Device Manager.
    • Click on the arrow button beside Keyboard and look for the name of your keyboard.

If it’s not there, we recommend that you visit Lindy KM Switch’s website to verify if the device you are using is compatible with Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards

1. How to prevent Windows from switching keyboards - Similar Threads - prevent switching keyboards

2. How to easily switch from keyboard languages on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to easily switch from keyboard languages on Windows 11?: I've been trying to find a way to change my keyboard settings from qwerty to the standard Russian cyrillic keyboard. I have stickers with cyrillic letters on my laptop. On windows 10, I could see my keyboard settings in the lower right corner of my screen, allowing me to...
  3. How to prevent windows from switching to newly connected audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent windows from switching to newly connected audio device: Hiya,So, I know this is a known thing with Windows, but I can't really find anything that fixes it and the posts I found were a little old so maybe there's some new info?I don't think the question needs much explaining but I'll give an explanation anyway.So, when you connect...
  4. How to prevent windows from switching to newly connected audio device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent windows from switching to newly connected audio device: Hiya,So, I know this is a known thing with Windows, but I can't really find anything that fixes it and the posts I found were a little old so maybe there's some new info?I don't think the question needs much explaining but I'll give an explanation anyway.So, when you connect...
  5. How to prevent windows from switching to newly connected audio device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. How to prevent language from switching in alternate mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent language from switching in alternate mode?: As per image, by default Windows is in English input mode. When I hit Ctrl+Space, it shows me this: However sometimes when typing halfway, it will toggle to English, while still in Chinese mode. How do I disable this feature? I want to always stay in Chinese mode if I have...
  7. Prevent keyboard layout change when switching languages

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent keyboard layout change when switching languages: Hello. On windows 10, I have installed both the Italian my native language and Japanese I sometimes type with it keyboards. However, I noticed a very annoying behaviour: once I switch from Italian to Japanese, mykeyboard layout changes too, from Italian correct to English...
  8. How to prevent Windows switching keyboards when there is a physical keyboard attached

How to prevent Windows switching keyboards when there is a physical keyboard attached: I have a desktop computer that has a English UK keyboard and I want to carry on using it. I also have a new laptop/tablet that has a English US keyboard as I live in NZ and can only get US keyboards, and a Win 10 phone set to English UK. The problem is that on both the PCs...
  9. How to prevent Windows 10 from automatically adding keyboard layouts US Keyboard

How to prevent Windows 10 from automatically adding keyboard layouts US Keyboard: So every time i Remove the US Keyboard layouts windows 10 adds it again even if i remove it and restart the damn think comes back and i cant change to the keyboard layout i want my windows 10 wont let me. So please help me i want English UK With swedish keyboard layout i dont...
  10. How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ?: hey all i have 2 keybard layouts, English and French. So once in a while the keyboard will just change input on its own. Not kidding. i just start my browser to type something in a forum or facebook whatever and the layout changes from one to the other. Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows not automatically changing keyboards