Windows 10: How to prevent windows from turning defrag and indexing back on after windows update

Discus and support How to prevent windows from turning defrag and indexing back on after windows update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I currently have 4 240Gb SSD's running in a raid 0 configuration. I have deragment/optimize on a schedule turned off as well as file indexing due to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidBlank2, Mar 25, 2019.

1. How to prevent windows from turning defrag and indexing back on after windows update

I currently have 4 240Gb SSD's running in a raid 0 configuration. I have deragment/optimize on a schedule turned off as well as file indexing due to having SSD's. Windows does not trim these, it defrags them which eats away at my SSD life. When I had just one SSD it would trim them which took all of 2 seconds, but once I started using RAID it defrags. (takes longer 5-15 minutes) File indexing is also unnecessary and gets turned back on after every single update. How can override windows for re enabling this default behavior after every major update?

:)

DavidBlank2, Mar 25, 2019

2. SSD defragmenting on or off on windows 8.1?

Like i said, Windows 8 knows its an SSD so when you go into yhe windows defrag utility, instead of defragging when you click oprimize itll do trimming instead. So you dont need to turn anything on or off.

MxPhenom 216, Mar 25, 2019
  3. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Mar 25, 2019
  4. jbailey8 Win User

How to prevent windows from turning defrag and indexing back on after windows update

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

How to prevent windows from turning defrag and indexing back on after windows update

1. How to prevent windows from turning defrag and indexing back on after windows update - Similar Threads - prevent turning defrag

2. How to prevent Windows 11 indexing from dropping files from its index after an edit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows 11 indexing from dropping files from its index after an edit?: This problem just started yesterday. It was fine before that. W11 was installed about 2 weeks ago. After editing a JPG image "details" or metadata, "Details" the file details get dropped from indexing, but not from the file itself. The details themselves old and new are in...
  3. How to prevent Windows 11 indexing from dropping files from its index after an edit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent Windows 11 indexing from dropping files from its index after an edit?: This problem just started yesterday. It was fine before that. W11 was installed about 2 weeks ago. After editing a JPG image "details" or metadata, "Details" the file details get dropped from indexing, but not from the file itself. The details themselves old and new are in...
  4. How to prevent users from indexing Specific Paths in Search Index on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from indexing Specific Paths in Search Index on Windows 10: At times, you might not want to include a particular folder or path in Windows Search. You can follow this tutorial to prevent users from indexing specific paths in the Search index on Windows 10 computer. It is possible to create this limitation using the Registry Editor and...
  5. how to prevent hyper v from automatically turning on after update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to prevent hyper v from automatically turning on after update?: how to prevent hyper v from automatically turning on after update? submitted by /u/johncaling40 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k3ckms/how_to_prevent_hyper_v_from_automatically_turning/
  6. turn indexing back on Windows 10

in Cortana
    turn indexing back on Windows 10: For some reason (I don't know how) indexing was turned off. I am unable to turn it back on. Cannot get past "indexing is not running" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-indexing-back-on-windows-10/d9155bd5-dc5d-4816-b489-04347ad69b73"
  7. cannot turn indexing back on

in Cortana
    cannot turn indexing back on: cannot turn indexing back on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-indexing-back-on/43e0de6f-431d-4da2-a2e7-938047d5c336"
  8. How to prevent Defrag from re-enabling itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent Defrag from re-enabling itself: I normally keep defrag/optimization set on a schedule for my internal hard drives - one SSD, one standard. I have the other drives disabled under 'choose drives' and I've also disabled 'defrag new drives automatically'. However, a few times a year I'll see my other drives...
  9. How to prevent Windows from updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....
  10. How to prevent Windows from updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....