Windows 10: How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?

Discus and support How to prevent writing to a specific registry key? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So changing registry strings is a pretty common tool around here and something ive done pretty comfortably for a long time. Messing with registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, May 4, 2021.

1. klepp0906 Win User

How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?

So changing registry strings is a pretty common tool around here and something ive done pretty comfortably for a long time. Messing with registry permissions goes above my head and is quite a bit more risky. AFAIK with my limited knowledge ACL's and the like is quite a bit more risky. I'd like to make this change as limited in scope as possible, and entirely reversible. Automatable via script if possible would be even better. Dropbox. The bane of my existence as far as overlays go. Due to windows longstanding limit for overlay icons and its poor means of prioritization, i've had to go into the registry to manage them. 90% of the time this is due to dropbox updating and leapfrogging everything. This fact in and of itself keeps me from enrolling in the dropbox beta builds as that would mean needing to self-modify even MORE frequently. So in short, how can I remove write permissions to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers and then un-do it when/if the need arises?

:)

klepp0906, May 4, 2021
  2. Shnxxx Win User

Prevent specific app writing on specific folder

There's a 3rd-party app I have that let me connect to servers to play warcraft 3 with others. It is a great alternative for battle .net. But I am annoyed and worried of what it does. It generates random files inside system's "Windows" and "SysWOW64" folder.
    It's just weird that they are doing this. It makes me worry. Especially, they are writing on a system folder. Any help would be much appreciated!
    I already tried changing its permissions by going into the properties of the ".exe" >> Security Tab >> Advance >> Changing owner from "Administrator" to "User", and changing permissions from "Full Control" to "Read and Execute". Also removed other Principals. After all of that, it could still write on the system folder :/

Here's some screenshot of what it generates.
    [Under Windows folder]
    How to prevent writing to a specific registry key? [​IMG]

[Under SysWOW64 folder, it writes about 643 files...]
    How to prevent writing to a specific registry key? [​IMG]

Shnxxx, May 4, 2021
  3. poop1711 Win User
    protect specific registry key from change

hello everyone.

many somebody know if ti possible and how - to prevent specific registry key from change, rename delete and etc?

many thanks in advance.

poop1711, May 4, 2021
  4. G Woity Win User

Windows Registry Writing Issues

I have a VB6 app that reads/writes information to the windows registry. everything works fine on every version of windows up to windows 10. On windows 10, I have had the occasional issue (sometimes after windows 10 updates) where the app cannot read/write
    to the registry key (under hkey_local_machine). One time the user account had to be deleted and recreated to give me access to the registry key. The other I was able to run the app as the administrator once and then revert to running it without administrator
    privileges and that seemed to fix the issue with writing to the registry. Why does this happen? How can it be prevented? Thanks for any help.

G Woity, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. How to prevent writing to a specific registry key? - Similar Threads - prevent writing specific

2. Cannot create value or key, Error writing to the registry

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot create value or key, Error writing to the registry: [IMG]When some Windows users tried creating value or key in Registry Editor, they failed due to lack of permission or misconfiguration. This issue is mainly caused when the user doesn’t have permission to access or perform actions on the folder under which they are trying to...
  3. protect specific registry key from change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    protect specific registry key from change: hello everyone. many somebody know if ti possible and how - to prevent specific registry key from change, rename delete and etc? many thanks in advance. 174450
  4. How can I determine if a registry key belongs to a specific program?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I determine if a registry key belongs to a specific program?: For example - if a key contains a value containing for example one value clearly related to this program, but I can't determine what others' values mean, like in the attatchment, how can I be sure it belongs to the program?[ATTACH]...
  5. Prevent specific app writing on specific folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent specific app writing on specific folder: There's a 3rd-party app I have that let me connect to servers to play warcraft 3 with others. It is a great alternative for battle .net. But I am annoyed and worried of what it does. It generates random files inside system's "Windows" and "SysWOW64" folder. It's just weird...
  6. It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder?: I have an application that writes temp files in %appdata%/Local/Temp. I wanted to know if there is a way, either using Windows 10 or a third-part solution, to prevent that application from doing it. The easiest way would be disabling writing on the entire Temp folder, but I...
  7. Cannot write to Registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot write to Registry: I have a program that needs to make entries in HKCU Software VB and VBA Program Settings. It is unable to. I am the Administrator. How can I get access to the Registry? Thanks, Murray...
  8. Registry keys registry keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  9. Installer unable to write to registry

Installer unable to write to registry: I'm trying to install an older version of MYOB accounting software, which I was previously able to install on Win7 Pro by running the installer in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode, using an account with administrator privileges. I'm running Win10 Pro 64b with UAC...
  10. Prevent application to create a registry key

Prevent application to create a registry key: Hi, is it possible to prevent certain application to create a registry key in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software registry location? That registry key causes some problems - when I delete it manually problems are solved but every so often key gets created as soon as...