Windows 10: How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive

Discus and support How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, let's get some requirements of this post out of the way, as it's irrelevant and I've always had this issue but only joined tenforums.com just now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nuclearbullet, Apr 1, 2020.

1. How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive

Ok, let's get some requirements of this post out of the way, as it's irrelevant and I've always had this issue but only joined tenforums.com just now to seek advice from other Windows 10 users:

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657)

But I must repeat, I've ALWAYS had this problem after adding a drive, and the solution seemed to be always move everything out of the existing storage space and delete, and re-create. So here is my question:

How do you properly adjust the storage space size (maximum) field once you add new drives to a pool? I've read the sticky post from Brink, and although I appreciate the tutorial, it didn't show anything of value in my situation. Seems like everytime I tried to address this issue, I'm playing a game of "guess my storage space size (maximum)" with Windows. My Pool and Storage Space situation is simple:

1) I created a storage space and planned ahead knowing that I will be adding drives to my pool later once those drives were freed up. "Planning ahead" meant, over-provision the pool so that the correct cluster size will be implemented in the creation of this Pool to at least guarantee that I won't get the dreaded "exceed the size cluster" error message.

2) The pool I created, has the size set to 40TB

3) Initial creation of the the Storage Space in THIS 40TB pool (Item 2 above) is 4x 6TB drives, totalling to 24TB.

4) This Storage Space has NOTHING SPECIAL. Just SIMPLE, no resiliency, it's just used to store a bunch of data that are disposable and "don't-care" if I lost all the volume (although it would be annoying, but it's not critical data).

5) I added two FRESH drives, 8TB each, after removal from another pool. I removed the disks, deleted the pool where it came from, and went into Mini-Tools Partitition Wizard to remove any garbage partition that Windows leaves behind after a drive removal. So the ENTIRE DRIVE after the Partitition Wizard shows as Unused, no partition, so 8TB raw space per drive.

6) After adding the two raw drives to the existing Pool (See item 3 for reference), I went back into that Storage Space and clicked on "Change" to change the attribute of this Storage Space.

7) Please see attached screenshot for reference. In the field "Storage Space Size (maximum)" this is where the guessing-game begins. I tried to type in value of what's shown in the "Total Pool Capacity" but I get the error message "Specified size is not valid" and with "Change storage space" greyed-out so I cannot execute this change.

So back to the general question, lots of info on the web about HOW to change the storage size, but I haven't found ANY that explains how to do it PROPERLY, to adjust this Storage Space to the maximum. Even on MS' own forums, the MS reps on there seems to dodge this question posed on there by asking the scripted questions like "What is your machine's configuration, did you make sure to apply the latest patch, etc." Bunch of unhelpful replies.

But I've been a lurker on here for years and know that there are some Windows 10 power users that probably knows how to solve this. I would appreciate any help.

Oh yeah, I did run into a post about using DISPART and EXTEND VOLUME # (where # is the volume number in the list after listing the volumes out with list volume command).

How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive [​IMG]

:)

nuclearbullet, Apr 1, 2020

2. How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive

Ok, let's get some requirements of this post out of the way, as it's irrelevant and I've always had this issue but only joined tenforums.com just now to seek advice from other Windows 10 users:

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657)

But I must repeat, I've ALWAYS had this problem after adding a drive, and the solution seemed to be always move everything out of the existing storage space and delete, and re-create. So here is my question:

How do you properly adjust the storage space size (maximum) field once you add new drives to a pool? I've read the sticky post from Brink, and although I appreciate the tutorial, it didn't show anything of value in my situation. Seems like everytime I tried to address this issue, I'm playing a game of "guess my storage space size (maximum)" with Windows. My Pool and Storage Space situation is simple:

1) I created a storage space and planned ahead knowing that I will be adding drives to my pool later once those drives were freed up. "Planning ahead" meant, over-provision the pool so that the correct cluster size will be implemented in the creation of this Pool to at least guarantee that I won't get the dreaded "exceed the size cluster" error message.

2) The pool I created, has the size set to 40TB

3) Initial creation of the the Storage Space in THIS 40TB pool (Item 2 above) is 4x 6TB drives, totalling to 24TB.

4) This Storage Space has NOTHING SPECIAL. Just SIMPLE, no resiliency, it's just used to store a bunch of data that are disposable and "don't-care" if I lost all the volume (although it would be annoying, but it's not critical data).

5) I added two FRESH drives, 8TB each, after removal from another pool. I removed the disks, deleted the pool where it came from, and went into Mini-Tools Partitition Wizard to remove any garbage partition that Windows leaves behind after a drive removal. So the ENTIRE DRIVE after the Partitition Wizard shows as Unused, no partition, so 8TB raw space per drive.

6) After adding the two raw drives to the existing Pool (See item 3 for reference), I went back into that Storage Space and clicked on "Change" to change the attribute of this Storage Space.

7) Please see attached screenshot for reference. In the field "Storage Space Size (maximum)" this is where the guessing-game begins. I tried to type in value of what's shown in the "Total Pool Capacity" but I get the error message "Specified size is not valid" and with "Change storage space" greyed-out so I cannot execute this change.

So back to the general question, lots of info on the web about HOW to change the storage size, but I haven't found ANY that explains how to do it PROPERLY, to adjust this Storage Space to the maximum. Even on MS' own forums, the MS reps on there seems to dodge this question posed on there by asking the scripted questions like "What is your machine's configuration, did you make sure to apply the latest patch, etc." Bunch of unhelpful replies.

But I've been a lurker on here for years and know that there are some Windows 10 power users that probably knows how to solve this. I would appreciate any help.

Oh yeah, I did run into a post about using DISPART and EXTEND VOLUME # (where # is the volume number in the list after listing the volumes out with list volume command).

How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive [​IMG]

nuclearbullet, Apr 1, 2020
  3. IgorVU Win User
    What is resizing maximum shadow copy storage space?

On my laptop, drive C: is a small solid state drive with only about 50G of free space. I noticed that a little bit of this free space is disappearing every day until only a few gigs of free space was remaining. Turned out, shadow storage was eating up all
    the free space. The size of used shadow copy storage space was about 45GB. The maximum shadow copy storage space was set to unbounded.

I resized the maximum shadow copy storage space and set the size to 20GB using 'vssadmin resize shadowstorage' command. A few days later, I noticed the maximum shadow copy storage space was set back to unbounded. I tried setting maximum size through the
    GUI (system protection settings) but that did not last either.

Is there any way to find out what application resizes the maximum storage space? Any ideas why something would want storage space to be unbounded?

Thanks,

Igor

IgorVU, Apr 1, 2020
  4. j_007_k Win User

How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive

Storage Spaces not showing increased size..

Hello, Size was increased via storage spaces. I was able to fix the issue. It seems like size increase via storange spaces is not working. I manually have to reboot and then use following command to show the correct size.

C:\ > DISKPART

DISKPART> List Volume

DISKPART> select volume # (this is the number of the volume listed by the above ‘List Volume’ command)

DISKPART> extend filesystem

DISKPART> exit

This fixes the storage pool to show the correct size. But its really annoying to do that every time you increase the size of the pool.

Thanks

j_007_k, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive

1. How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive - Similar Threads - PROPERLY adjust storage

2. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...: I have a Simple no resiliency storage space with 2 HDD 2 x 14TB. I want to add a 3rd drive to increase pool space, but I'm a little confused about how that will work.The storage space currently has 2 columns one for each physical disk and I know that cannot be changed without...
  3. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...: I have a Simple no resiliency storage space with 2 HDD 2 x 14TB. I want to add a 3rd drive to increase pool space, but I'm a little confused about how that will work.The storage space currently has 2 columns one for each physical disk and I know that cannot be changed without...
  4. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. storage space adjustment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    storage space adjustment: I am seeking assistance with my windows C drive allocation.See i have a 2tb hard drive, and was pretty alarmed when looking at my storage to see a 279 gb cap for apps & features, and an equal amount of space allocated to temporary files and "other" with 0 gb used. I'd like to...
  6. storage space adjustment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    storage space adjustment: I am seeking assistance with my windows C drive allocation.See i have a 2tb hard drive, and was pretty alarmed when looking at my storage to see a 279 gb cap for apps & features, and an equal amount of space allocated to temporary files and "other" with 0 gb used. I'd like to...
  7. Adding\Replacing Drives In Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding\Replacing Drives In Storage Spaces: Hello, We recently purchased a new server which we will be using to support several of our SQL databases. The server contains 4 NVMe drives that will be used for the database files. The server is running Windows Sever 2019. We would like to use Storage Spaces to “manage”...
  8. How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive: Ok, let's get some requirements of this post out of the way, as it's irrelevant and I've always had this issue but only joined tenforums.com just now to seek advice from other Windows 10 users: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657) But I must...
  9. How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to PROPERLY adjust storage space size (maximum) after adding drive: Ok, let's get some requirements of this post out of the way, as it's irrelevant and I've always had this issue but only joined tenforums.com just now to seek advice from other Windows 10 users: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657) But I must...
  10. Storage Spaces issues adding drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces issues adding drive: I have a 4x 2TB drive storage pool setup with storage spaces under parity mostly used for movies/tv shows. I decided to buy 2 more 4TB drives and add them, but I only have space for 1 more at the moment (only 6 SATA connectors on my MB). After adding it (and appearing...