Windows 10: How to properly swap out an M.2 SSD for a larger size replacement

Discus and support How to properly swap out an M.2 SSD for a larger size replacement in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an ASRock X399 Taichi, 128GB ram running Windows 10 Professional. This motherboard has 3 M.2 slots. I currently have a 960GB in M.2 slot 1 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by robert3892, Jan 24, 2019.

1. How to properly swap out an M.2 SSD for a larger size replacement

I have an ASRock X399 Taichi, 128GB ram running Windows 10 Professional. This motherboard has 3 M.2 slots. I currently have a 960GB in M.2 slot 1 and it is my O/S drive. I another 960 GB in slot 2. It is my intention to replace the slot 1 M.2 with a 2TB M.2. I then want to move the current 960 GB in slot 1 to slot 3. I want to make a fresh windows install on the 2TB and format the 960GB.

Will there be any issues with this? Previously I had a 480GB M.2 SSD in slot 2. I formatted it and removed it and replaced it with a 960GB but when I did this Windows could not find the boot drive (slot 1).

I don't mind doing a fresh install at all if that is the only solution.

:)

robert3892, Jan 24, 2019

2. How to properly swap out an M.2 SSD for a larger size replacement

I have an ASRock X399 Taichi, 128GB ram running Windows 10 Professional. This motherboard has 3 M.2 slots. I currently have a 960GB in M.2 slot 1 and it is my O/S drive. I another 960 GB in slot 2. It is my intention to replace the slot 1 M.2 with a 2TB
    M.2. I then want to move the current 960 GB in slot 1 to slot 3. I want to make a fresh windows install on the 2TB and format the 960GB.

Will there be any issues with this? Previously I had a 480GB M.2 SSD in slot 2. I formatted it and removed it and replaced it with a 960GB but when I did this Windows could not find the boot drive (slot 1).

I don't mind doing a fresh install at all if that is the only solution.

robert3892, Dec 16, 2019
  3. How to properly swap out an M.2 SSD for a larger size replacement

Thanks. You're right it isn't well documented and should be. By the way my personal goal is to only have M.2 storage along with cloud backup so my mechanical HDDs and SSDs are gone. Only M.2 SSDs now.

robert3892, Dec 16, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

How to properly swap out an M.2 SSD for a larger size replacement

Hi Robert, M2's are definitely the way to go, they are so much faster than a HDD and even the SATA SSD's

DaveM121, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

1. How to properly swap out an M.2 SSD for a larger size replacement - Similar Threads - properly swap SSD

2. How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?: Ive got a problem. Ive currently got 1 SSD operational with around 450 GB. However, i've got 1 other SSD Which is unallocated and I dont know how to activate it and an M.2 which isnt even showing up. Not only that but I can now figure out the Disk Manager....
  3. How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?: Ive got a problem. Ive currently got 1 SSD operational with around 450 GB. However, i've got 1 other SSD Which is unallocated and I dont know how to activate it and an M.2 which isnt even showing up. Not only that but I can now figure out the Disk Manager....
  4. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  5. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  6. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  7. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  8. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  9. Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows: Not sure if this is the right sub for this but, I currently have an OMEN b HP 17-inch Gaming Laptop w/ 144Hz Anti-Glare G-Sync Display, with GTX 1060. Series number: 17-an120nr It came installed with a 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive + 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive. I...
  10. Size of replacement SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Size of replacement SSD: My company is gradually replacing all OEM provided HDD with Samsung 860 EVO SSD. In my case this requires replacing a 1TB laptop Toshiba HDD, which provides cause for my curiosity level to rise. The advantages of plentiful space are realized and understood. However, I could...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. swap out pcie m2