Windows 10: how to protect my PC's data and security information from being hacked

Discus and support how to protect my PC's data and security information from being hacked in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; To keep my long story short, there is a software programmer who knows me pretty well that he wants to hack (and will try to hack) my PC and steal my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tsw88, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Tsw88 Win User

how to protect my PC's data and security information from being hacked

To keep my long story short, there is a software programmer who knows me pretty well that he wants to hack (and will try to hack) my PC and steal my confidential data stored on my desktop PC. I have no any security solutions yet to protect my PC against those hacks. What is specifically thing I should take immediate action now to protect my data and my activities from being watched or stolen?

:)

Tsw88, Apr 14, 2017
  2. FredZilz Win User

WM 6.1 Security? Exchange 2007

We use smartphones (at&t tilt) now with windows mobile 6.1. My users sync with our exchange 2007 server. In addition to the emails themself, my users often have data in their contact folders - they use it to store information for quick access. What
    is the best way to secure that data that is on the phone. I see a lot of information about wiping the data when stolen (I have this setup through Exchange 2007), but I am concerned with someone hacking into the phone while it is being used.

What should be disabled (bluetooth, wireless,?), Bluetooth seems like the weakest link but it is required for hands free communication - which is the law in california - when driving. How do I protect the data on the phone from hackers. How do I best
    protect the phone from being used by hackers. This is both a policy and software / software configuration question.

Do phone passwords help at all.

I look forward to your advice.

FredZilz, Apr 14, 2017
  3. How to know i am being monitoring or not

could anyone pls tell me how to know my laptop is being monitored or not

and also how to protect my pc/laptop from hacking Thank you

Moved from Virus & Malware

josephbabu27, Apr 14, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Stay offline! And prevent physical access to you computer. If this is you business machine, take out your hard drive and take it with you.

AndreTen, Apr 14, 2017
  5. Tsw88,

A couple of suggestions, in addition to Antivirus, Firewall, etc.,:

1. Disable WiFi when you’re not using it!

2. Use a VPN, it acts as an intermediary between your device and the Internet server, routing all your activity through your own encrypted loop of the Internet. It hides your real IP address from hackers.

How to Setup and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10

cottonball, Apr 14, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Have a solid, reliable, routine of weekly (or more often if data changes often) rotating images of your OS and Data partitions. While you cannot completely be hack-proof, you can have solid rotating restorable backups if you do get hacked or ransomwared.
    There is one type of security program you could install, finetune, and use: "protect o' data pots" against ransomware. WAR - WinAntiRansomware is just one example of many such programs. WAR for me allows me to "green-light" each and every program and utility that is ok to be given access to my "data pot". My data pot is located in a different partition than my normal collection of day-to-day folders and files. I FreeFileSync 'em on a weekly basis.

addendum: supplied missing words

RolandJS, Apr 14, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Apr 14, 2017
  8. Tsw88 Win User

Hi all does keyscramble help protecting against password or document contents being stolen and watched in the background? (I often need to create text documents which content confidential information)

Tsw88, Apr 14, 2017
  9. Tsw88 Win User
    was it a joke?

Tsw88, Apr 14, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Yes and no @Tsw88. I just post message about that stolen NSA's hacking tools... and it's specific timing.

There is no 100% method, tool or practice these days to stay safe from somebody who has enough knowledge and is set to hack you.

For most users, acting responsible is good enough. Responsible means:
    - set up basic security (Windows defender, firewall and maybe Malwarebytes Anti Exploit),
    - be careful on net (think before you click on something, delete mails with suspicious content before you read it, ...)
    - make compete backup of your files (at least documents, pictures and anything that have value to you) and put it in safe place (disconnect it from computer).
    - in addition - secure your home router! Disable WPS if you have it on..

In the case of OP (thread starter), I would move important files from computer to external drive (not just copied them!) if the files are some kind of important and should be private) and be extra careful...

AndreTen, Apr 14, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    The best form of defence against a hacker is backups! No amount of software will block a determined hacker from gaining entry.

Ideally you should make regular backups to an external drive which is not normally connected to your computer at other times.

If you don't have an external backup device, now might be a good time to start investing in one.

swarfega, Apr 14, 2017
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Agree (and suggested). Problem is, if OP has important documents that should be kept secured from hacker, backup won't help much... We don't know that, so it's up to him.

AndreTen, Apr 14, 2017
  13. swarfega Win User

A backup will absolutely help. If its kept uptodate, then if he gets attacked he can just pull the latest file from the backup.

swarfega, Apr 14, 2017
  14. AndreTen Win User
    Not, if somebody just want to know what's in the files *Smile

AndreTen, Apr 14, 2017
  15. dencal Win User
    Which is as good a reason as any to encrypt your files using Bitlocker.

dencal, Apr 14, 2017
Thema:

1. how to protect my PC's data and security information from being hacked - Similar Threads - protect PC's data

2. Being hacked or no being hacked?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Being hacked or no being hacked?: So I just got a bar tablet HD and I was going on to Target website and Austin out of nowhere all these windows popped up and saying Microsoft security alert the window is blocked because my computer is infected with children viruses and it's infecting Microsoft servers so...
  3. Being hacked or no being hacked?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Being hacked or no being hacked?: So I just got a bar tablet HD and I was going on to Target website and Austin out of nowhere all these windows popped up and saying Microsoft security alert the window is blocked because my computer is infected with children viruses and it's infecting Microsoft servers so...
  4. Guest Account Security: Is There a Risk of Being Hacked When Lending My PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Guest Account Security: Is There a Risk of Being Hacked When Lending My PC?: <Moved from the Word forum>Before lending my PC to someone else, I took the precaution of creating a guest account with non-administrative privileges. Despite this measure, I'm concerned about the possibility of the person exploiting the guest account to compromise my system....
  5. Guest Account Security: Is There a Risk of Being Hacked When Lending My PC?

Guest Account Security: Is There a Risk of Being Hacked When Lending My PC?: <Moved from the Word forum>Before lending my PC to someone else, I took the precaution of creating a guest account with non-administrative privileges. Despite this measure, I'm concerned about the possibility of the person exploiting the guest account to compromise my system....
  6. Microsoft Account Hacked - Security Information Changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Account Hacked - Security Information Changed: Note - This is a new account I created using the same email that used to be attached to the old account.About a month ago my Microsoft account was hacked and all the information was changed. I contacted Microsoft support and they told me that they found unauthorized access to...
  7. Microsoft Account Hacked - Security Information Changed

Microsoft Account Hacked - Security Information Changed: Note - This is a new account I created using the same email that used to be attached to the old account.About a month ago my Microsoft account was hacked and all the information was changed. I contacted Microsoft support and they told me that they found unauthorized access to...
  8. PC Seems Being Hacked

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC Seems Being Hacked: Hello,I see some programs running in the background continuously like User OOBE Broker, Bridge Connection, KMS Connection broker, and whenever I click with the mouse on the Wi-fi symbol in the taskbar, it runs a background process named "Windows Shell Experience Host".I doubt...
  9. PC Seems Being Hacked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Seems Being Hacked: Hello,I see some programs running in the background continuously like User OOBE Broker, Bridge Connection, KMS Connection broker, and whenever I click with the mouse on the Wi-fi symbol in the taskbar, it runs a background process named "Windows Shell Experience Host".I doubt...
  10. Account was hacked with all security information changed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account was hacked with all security information changed: As the subject suggests, one of my Microsoft accounts was hacked and I can't recover it because the person who did it replaced all the security information. I hadn't used the account in a few months, so I didn't check for any security alerts Microsoft sent, of which there...