Windows 10: How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs

Discus and support How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I need to configure a Virtual Machine with Windows 10 OS using Hyper-VI should be able to export this VM, import it in multiple other machines... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Javid_Rahman, Aug 19, 2022.

1. How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs

Hello,I need to configure a Virtual Machine with Windows 10 OS using Hyper-VI should be able to export this VM, import it in multiple other machines and use it without any license related issues.Could someone please guide me on how to purchase license for this requirement ?Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

Javid_Rahman, Aug 19, 2022
  2. KMRL84 Win User

Hyper-V VM server licensing

Hello,

We have a VM running a 2012 R2 OS and are having an issue applying the license we have purchased.

I was advised that a 2019 standard license would work for licensing a 2012 server and this is not working when typing in the key to the VM.

Can anyone point out what could be the issue, maybe I'm supposed to type the key into the Hyper-V host?

KMRL84, Aug 19, 2022
  3. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization.

I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some questions on licensing and any activation issues that might occur
    1. I expect I'll need to buy a 2nd Win 10 license
      • Does it need to be a retail license?
      • Or can I a buy an OEM license? (I’ll always use the 2nd license for a virtual machine on the same PC but never run more then one VM at a time)
    2. If i wanted to create multiple VMs (gen-1 and gen-2) could I use that 2nd license each time? Again, assuming i'll never actually having more then one VM running at a time.
    3. And just curious: Does anyone know if MS simply recognizes 2 licenses both for the same PC? If I did a fresh reinstall in the future, would it make any difference which license i lthen used for the PC and which for the VM?

ComputerGeek, Aug 19, 2022
  4. ShonoSF Win User

How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs

Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing

Hi there,

First of all, there is no "server" topic, so I put this under windows->other/unknown

According to this, if I have my fully licensed Windows Server Standard, than I can run 2 VM with the same license.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lic...ing/windows-server?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0

My understanding is:

- physical host win srv std +2 vm with win srv std; in sum 3 full license

I achived:

- host os installed (with desktop experience), activated with STD license key, hyper-v role installed (no other role installed - expect default file/storage service)
    - first VM installed with same win server standard license, without an issue

- second VM installed with same win server standard license, but I can not activate it, because "license limit exceeded (used on other machine)"

Some forum says, I have to use AVMA for VM-s, but according to this AVMA requires Windows Server Datacenter edition with the Hyper-V host role installed.

Automatic Virtual Machine Activation in Windows Server

Anyway, I've tried it. It does not work. "could not activate... you have to change key or upgrade host license"

My question is:

How to properly activate Win Srv STD hyper-v VMs?
    - should i use AVMA on STD as well? how to do this? (data exchange already enabled)
    - should I enter the OEM/Retail key for VMs? (than why I have error on 2nd VM)

AFAIK:
    - 1 license key is enough for 16 cores. The host has sum 16 phy cores (2x8 aka 2 x Xeon Silver 4109T), so this should be no problem.
    - the host slmgr /xpr and /dlv reports no error, aka "permanently" activated
    - I should be able to activate VMs with no internet access....

ShonoSF, Aug 19, 2022
Thema:

How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs

1. How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs - Similar Threads - purchase license run

2. How to fix Hyper-V VMs being created, but the temporary Windows License not activating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix Hyper-V VMs being created, but the temporary Windows License not activating: Hey all. I have scoured the internet trying to troubleshoot it but have not had any luck. To be clear I am NOT trying to extend my Hyper-V VM's temporary license.The problem is brand new Hyper-V VMs are created but continue to start with an expired license which means the VM...
  3. How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs: Hello,I need to configure a Virtual Machine with Windows 10 OS using Hyper-VI should be able to export this VM, import it in multiple other machines and use it without any license related issues.Could someone please guide me on how to purchase license for this requirement...
  4. How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to purchase license for Windows 10 to run that in Hyper-V VMs: Hello,I need to configure a Virtual Machine with Windows 10 OS using Hyper-VI should be able to export this VM, import it in multiple other machines and use it without any license related issues.Could someone please guide me on how to purchase license for this requirement...
  5. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V: See image for errorVirtualisation is enabled in UEFI. WSL2 gives error 0x80370102. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-run-vms-on-hyper-v/f66a80ff-0862-46c6-884d-3ca09d196882
  6. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V: See image for errorVirtualisation is enabled in UEFI. WSL2 gives error 0x80370102. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-run-vms-on-hyper-v/f66a80ff-0862-46c6-884d-3ca09d196882
  7. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Network issues with Windows 10 Hyper V and VMs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network issues with Windows 10 Hyper V and VMs: Hey all, I have a weird issue with my Windows 10 Hyper-V that I do not have with other machines. Let me explain below: I am following this guide: Step by step guide: Configure a test lab to deploy Windows 10...
  9. Hyper-V forgets my VMs

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V forgets my VMs: Ok on build 16288, but happened on earlier builds - when I reboot my laptop, Hyper-V keeps forgetting my VMs saying I have noinstalled. Only takes a couple of minutes to restore them but a PITA. I am going to try and unistall Hyper-V and reinstall to see if that fixes...
  10. Identifying VMs in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Identifying VMs in Hyper-V: Hi does anybody know how to tell what Hyper-V VM is connected to which /vhdx file ? It is all a bit of a mess now. I am guessing the only valid ones are the large datafiles? cheers [img] 84958