Windows 10: How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.

Discus and support How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My son would like to create a dual boot operating system. We understand (at least we think) that we need to create 2 partitions on a single drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by smalltown, Mar 26, 2017.

1. smalltown Win User

How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.

My son would like to create a dual boot operating system. We understand (at least we think) that we need to create 2 partitions on a single drive and install one operating system on each. Hopefully that will give him a dual boot menu when he starts up ?

Our problem so far has been attaching his hard drive externally to my desktop and trying to get the 2 partitions.
    We are stuck at this point. Here is a photo of what his drive looks like right now.

Any help would be appreciated.
    How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive. [​IMG]

:)

smalltown, Mar 26, 2017
  2. KISA72 Win User

Windows 10 does not recognize my second hard drive

The Microsoft way didn't work for me. But I got it sorted another way, but I had a few extra things that made it possible.

1. Firstly I had another computer that could read the hard drive (actually my sons), so I used that to copy the contents I wanted to keep to another hard drive (an external hard drive in my case).

2. I then put the undetectable hard drive into an external hard drive caddy (I dismantle one I had and just changed the hard drive over).

3. I then turned on the computer with the issue and plugged in the USB external hard drive (with the undetectable drive inside). The computer could see the drive.

4. I deleted the drive partition in Disk Manager and converted it to a GPT partition, formatted it then deleted the partition and converted it back to an MBR partition and formatted it again.

5. I shut the computer down and put the unreadable hard drive back into the PC.

6. Turned the PC back on and it found it in Windows 10.

Number 4 in the steps may sound strange, but I actually tried putting the hard drive back into the PC between each step, but only found it worked after I did all of that. My (unbacked) conclusion is that something from the original install or configuration
    making it invisible was sitting in the MBR.

Anyway, it's taken me many days to work this one out, so hope it saves you time.

KISA72, Mar 26, 2017
  3. How to recover partitions from external hard drive dueto windows 10 update issues

External Hard Drive has lost previous partitions when reinstalling windows 10 to enable the latest windows 10 update.

Can you advise how to recover lost partition.

TrevorChadban, Mar 26, 2017
  4. How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.

Do you and your son share the same computer?

Josey Wales, Mar 26, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    You would be much better off splitting that large 232GB partition on the main drive. An OS partition can run very nicely on 64GB, but you can make it larger. That way the dual boot menu would be easier to manage. Here is a tutorial here on Tenforums. It is written for dual booting 10 & 7, but the concepts are the same. You would simply shrink the existing "C" partition to around 64GB or 96GB (plenty of room), create a new 64GB or 96GB partition for the install of the second OS. That (the new partition) would be the one you would choose when installing the second OS. Take a look and see if the tutorial gives you what you are looking for.

TC

Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

f14tomcat, Mar 26, 2017
  6. smalltown Win User
    Josey no I am just helping out by connecting his drive externally to mine.
    Tomcat thanks for the link we will try that.

smalltown, Mar 26, 2017
  7. Good it will work.

Josey Wales, Mar 26, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

It may not be that simple what o/s are you going to use and is it a uefi motherboard its better to install the oldest o/s delete all partitions and let windows create new one. Then shrink c: and install the second o/s windows will want a a small system parition and a c drive if its uefi it will lneed a parition as well and you may set the drive as gpt or mbr.
    Its often simpler and safer to install one windows then run th eother as a virtual pc with free Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox with that you dont have to mess with paritions

Samuria, Mar 26, 2017
  9. smalltown Win User
    Samuria no uefi just a regular Bios. Per tomcats suggestion we did shrink the first partition to 96GB. The second partition also has 96GB. Just called him, and he has successfully installed both operating systems (win 10 and Win 7) , and his laptop is booting to the "dual boot" menu. He is just finishing getting a few drivers.

smalltown, Mar 26, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    Excellent! Please post back when all done, would love to hear how it all went.

Good job! *Thumbs

TC

f14tomcat, Mar 26, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Mar 26, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Mar 26, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, and I found a link to the free 9.1.

f14tomcat, Mar 26, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    V10 is out now.

cereberus, Mar 26, 2017
Thema:

1. How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive. - Similar Threads - put partitions external

2. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  3. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  4. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Removing partitions on External Hard Drive

Removing partitions on External Hard Drive: I want to use the HDD from my old laptop as External drive. After formatting former “C:” partition and “Recovery” partitions separately, in the Disk Management I see: Disk 1 Basic 931.50GB Online 260MB Healthy EFI System Partition New Volume E: 919.48 GB NTFS...
  6. missing suddenly external hard drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    missing suddenly external hard drive partition: MY EXTERNAL Hard Driver suddenly missed it's partition and windows show it in disk managment but it can't initia [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] lized it to perpair a partition also external hard...
  7. Removing partitions on external hard drives?

Removing partitions on external hard drives?: I have several laptop hard drives that I access on my desktop PC via a usb hub, I have managed to format them and they work perfectly. My problem is that 2 of these hard drives have 2 partitions which I have also formatted, but the partitions show up as separate drives in...
  8. 2 partitions external hard drive need to reformat.

2 partitions external hard drive need to reformat.: I have an external Hard Drive 500GB, it was formatted into 2 partitions. I have done backup of the contents, then I thought I need to format it to a one hard disk. I did delete the 2 partitions in "computer management". Later this hard drive did not show on "This PC" and can...
  9. How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?

How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?: I am new to the forum. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but hoping someone here can direct me or might know. I purchased a 1TB hard drive to place media files on it so that I could plug it into my DVD player which has a USB port. I made sure to...
  10. How to partition external hard disk?

How to partition external hard disk?: I hv window vista business edition OS. I purchased 500 GB seagate external hard drive as I wish to transfer my collection of songs and photos from my laptop to hard drive. How do I partition the hard drive in three parts. It comes with integrated software for backup and I...