Windows 10: How to put drive letters before drive label?

Discus and support How to put drive letters before drive label? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home. I want my drive letters to appear before the name of the drive. I tried:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DeniseJM, Jan 14, 2019.

1. DeniseJM Win User

How to put drive letters before drive label?

I have Windows 10 Home. I want my drive letters to appear before the name of the drive. I tried:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

ShowDriveLettersFirst DWORD

4 = Show all drive letters before drive label

I rebooted.

But it didn't work.

Is there another way that I can get Windows 10 Home to put drive letters before the name of the drive?

:)

DeniseJM, Jan 14, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 14, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Strange Value Drive

Hi Chiranjit,

It seems that this particular drive was not assigned a drive letter (for eg: drive H: or drive DHow to put drive letters before drive label? :) and hence it is displayed as with such a label. May we know if you have made any changes to your computer prior to this issue? I would suggest you to go to
    disk management tool and assign a letter to this drive. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Disk
      management.
    • Locate the drive with the label shown in the image.
    • Right click on that drive and select Change drive letter and paths.
    • Now select the drive and click on the change button.
    • Select assign the following drive letter and choose a drive letter that hasn’t been assigned to any other drive.
    • Click Ok to save changes.

Now check if the drive is listed in File Explorer and if you are able to access its contents.

Update us with the results so we can further assist you.

Eric Ber, Jan 14, 2019
  4. How to put drive letters before drive label?

Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jan 14, 2019
Thema:

How to put drive letters before drive label?

1. How to put drive letters before drive label? - Similar Threads - put drive letters

2. Default Drive Letter Label does not work when the drive is a using bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Drive Letter Label does not work when the drive is a using bitlocker: I can use this registry setting to define the name of a drive mounted on my system.Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\<Drive Letter>\DefaultLabelAnd it works as expected EXCEPT if the share comes from a drive with...
  3. Default Drive Letter Label does not work when the drive is a using bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Drive Letter Label does not work when the drive is a using bitlocker: I can use this registry setting to define the name of a drive mounted on my system.Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\<Drive Letter>\DefaultLabelAnd it works as expected EXCEPT if the share comes from a drive with...
  4. file explorer letter before drive letter in search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer letter before drive letter in search: when i did a search in file manager it showed the file as "rc:******" why is there a letter before the drive and what does it mean f and r are the letters that are shown before the drive...
  5. Microsoft Windows - please forget about drive letters, allow to use drive labels

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Windows - please forget about drive letters, allow to use drive labels: This happens too often. After plugging in a new storage device or temporarily disconnecting one of the hard drives,their letters are messed up. It takes a while to use diskpart, list volume, select volume and assign letter=if it happens once by a serious system failure.but...
  6. How to Show Drive Letters first before Drive Names in Windows 10 Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    How to Show Drive Letters first before Drive Names in Windows 10 Explorer: Drive names or volume labels appear before the drive letters in Windows OS by default. But, if you want, you can change this default behavior and show drive letters first before drive names in Windows 10. Whenever you will open File Explorer, you will see that letters (C, D,...
  7. bitlocker drive label

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker drive label: My computer upgraded over the weekend and the bitlocker no longer works. It asks for the recovery key which I have but it looking for a desktop drive label that was not the original and is not listed on my microsoft account. None of the bitlocker keys on my account will...
  8. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  9. Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive Letter: I have automatic updates for windows 10. I have a separate drive normally connected to one of my windows devices. For many years this drive now identifies 100's of folders and many more files. When first installed it was allocated letter 'F' which since my latest update has...
  10. How to change drive letter of mirror drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change drive letter of mirror drive: I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am wondering if I am stuck with the one assigned when the mirror drive was set up. 27607