Windows 10: How to Put OS on new SSD while keeping existing HDD for existing games

Discus and support How to Put OS on new SSD while keeping existing HDD for existing games in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I've recently bought a new SSD for the purpose of moving my Windows 10 OS onto it from my existing HDD. I plan on using SSD for the OS and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DK7089, Mar 27, 2021.

1. DK7089 Win User

How to Put OS on new SSD while keeping existing HDD for existing games

Hi there, I've recently bought a new SSD for the purpose of moving my Windows 10 OS onto it from my existing HDD. I plan on using SSD for the OS and keep my current HDD to hold all my existing games and other files. I have been trying to find ways to do so but there doesn't seem to be a clear way to accomplish this so I thought I would ask the following questions. For reference the SSD is 250 GB and the HDD is 1 TB.

I was wondering the following:

1. if I fresh install Windows 10 on my SSD using Windows creation tool and a bootable media, once I boot from my SSD the current registries will no longer work for my games and such that I have on my HDD if I'm correct. How would I be able to fix this, do I need to reinstall everything again onto my HDD?

2. If I migrate clone all the data from my HDD onto my SSD and then delete only the games/personal files on my SSD, would this still result in the registries being messed up or could I then play my games off the HDD without having to reinstall everything.

3. Would it be possible to move all my personal files ex. videos, documents, etc... onto a USB, wipe the HDD, install windows onto the SSD, and then reinstall the programs NOT on the USB onto the HDD and copy/paste the personal files from the USB back onto the HDD

Thank you for your help I really really appreciate it!!!

:)

DK7089, Mar 27, 2021
  2. Ammaarqv Win User

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

I want to use a new SSD to run my OS on my PC. I have a lot of data on my HDD and dont want it on the SSD but do want to keep it.

I have read that you shouldn't use an external drive that has Windows installed so how would i go about doing what I need?

I.e. get Windows onto the SSD, replace HDD with SSD, use HDD as external drive, and keep data from HDD on HDD.

Thanks!

(P.s. any guides or instructions to any steps would be great but if not then no issue)

Ammaarqv, Mar 27, 2021
  3. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Mar 27, 2021
  4. Ammaarqv Win User

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Thanks for the response. So you suggest installing Windows on SSD, swap out HDD, then just remove Windows files? How would I go about doing this?

Is this safe to do?

Ammaarqv, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

1. How to Put OS on new SSD while keeping existing HDD for existing games - Similar Threads - Put SSD while

2. A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD: Also the button for new volume is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-device-which-does-not-exist-was-specified-while/c57a9fb0-e122-485f-824a-1e1ff798e256
  3. Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage.: As said in the title, I am trying to install a new version of windows 10 onto my SSD but want to use my existing HDD as a storage drive. My HDD is currently running windows but I have been having troubles recently so I decided to buy a new copy using windows 10 pro but want...
  4. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive: I want to use a new SSD to run my OS on my PC. I have a lot of data on my HDD and dont want it on the SSD but do want to keep it. I have read that you shouldn't use an external drive that has Windows installed so how would i go about doing what I need? I.e. get Windows...
  5. Upgrading to SSD - Want to Copy Existing HDD

Upgrading to SSD - Want to Copy Existing HDD: I'm looking to upgrade a computer from a HDD to a SSD. I was going to use Minitool Partition WIzard, but apparently it's not free, and that's what I'm of course looking for. Are there any free tools out there to copy an existing hard drive to a new one? The computer in...
  6. How to move an existing user from HDD to a SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move an existing user from HDD to a SSD: I upgraded my laptop and installed a SSD keeping my HDD installed. I made a new Windows installation on the SSD and created a new user for myself, but my brother would like to move his user account with all his files, folders, preferences etc from HDD to SDD. Is this...
  7. Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.: Hi, I'm thinking about updating my 2 years old laptop from HDD to SSD. Since my HDD is still in working condition, I plan to use it as an external HDD. I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home on my laptop.Is it possible for me to transfer it to the new SSD while upgrading?...
  8. Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD: Hello, Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop Name: Steam Target:...
  9. Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD

Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD: I have Installed a new WD SSD on my Asus S15 S510UN Laptop. I have been trying to identify possibilities of migrating my Windows 10 installation 'as it is' to my new WD SSD. I have tried using Acronis True Image WD Edition but am facing some issues with the installation. The...
  10. Clean install while keeping existing partitions?

Clean install while keeping existing partitions?: the tutorial here says to delete all partitions before clean installing windows 10. But I don't want to do that. I just want to reinstall cleanly on the OS partition only. In the past with win7, when I had an OS and Data partition, I would just reinstall the OS, and my...