Windows 10: how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t

Discus and support how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to understand the reason why sometime qemu / kvm / tianocore and also virt-manager can't boot Windows 10 physically,sometimes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ziomario, May 18, 2020.

1. ziomario Win User

how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the reason why sometime qemu / kvm / tianocore and also virt-manager can't boot Windows 10 physically,sometimes it can. And maybe I found the reason. Infact I found that when Windows 10 installs the EFI partition as first partition of the disk,qemu / kvm / tianocore / virt-manager can boot it. But sometimes it happens that windows makes another kind of disk structure,for example it can make something like this :

1) 128 mb : microsoft reserved partition

2) 500 mb recovery partition

3) 99 mb EFI partition

in this case,windows 10 will not boot. So,in this case I don't know what to do. Maybe it can work it I delete the 128 and the 500 mb partitions and I expand the EFI partition until the beginning of the disk space. But I'm not sure. I read that I shouldn't erase the 128 mb partition or the system will not boot. So,what should I do ? One thing I'm sure : The EFI partition should be the first partition if I want to boot Windows 10 with tianocore. But I'm not sure about how to do that. Please understand,I don't want to reinstall Windows.

:)

ziomario, May 18, 2020
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, May 18, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 18, 2020
  4. how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t

Disk Partition EFI Management

DISK PARTITION INCLUDING EFI SYSTEM PARTITION AND RECOVERY DRIVE PARTITION.

Earlier my File Explorer used to display C drive and D drive (Recovery Drive) which majorly contains only the recovery file. However, after a windows update a long time back, the D drive stopped displaying in the file explorer "THIS PC"

how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t 94106581-0ed7-416a-85ec-d0bdb8dc804e?upload=true.png

I checked the Disk Management tool. There are two unallocated space of 651 and 128 mb along with a EFI partition and two recovery partition one with drive letter D assigned and another without.

My hard disk is of 1TB out of which 904gb (C drive) is accessible.

how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t 3bd71d1c-7a5f-45e5-920e-a9722a4f61c7?upload=true.png

I am not able to manage these unalloacted partitions of my drive. I am only able to create a new volume but I want this unallocated space to either merge into C drive OR D drive the option for which (Extend/Merge) is not available.

how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t 2fda3755-c09d-4e17-a8de-9f4f344a7b0e?upload=true.png

Also there is an EFI system partition which is in between these two unallocated spaces and I am unable to manage that space as well.

The recovery partition of D drive is not visible in file explorer.

I want a way to manage these spaces and also that my D drive is shown in the file explorer

Regards

RajatBhatnagar, May 18, 2020
Thema:

how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t

1. how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t - Similar Threads - put EFI partition

2. How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?: Hi i'm limon i need help, how to create recovery disk with efi partition?the reason i want this bc my computer is installed with non factory OS...
  3. How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?: Hi i'm limon i need help, how to create recovery disk with efi partition?the reason i want this bc my computer is installed with non factory OS...
  4. How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  6. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  7. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. disk partition not able to use

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk partition not able to use: So recently I noticed that only drive C: is showing in file explorer and there used to be 4 drives from C: to F: and I checked disk management, there was disk 0 with 900GB and disk 1 with 100GB. I'm sure that disk 1 is drive C but 100GB is not enough for me so how can I use...
  9. how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able to boot windows 10...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able to boot windows 10...: Hello, I'm trying to understand the reason why sometime qemu / kvm / tianocore and also virt-manager can't boot Windows 10 physically,sometimes it can. And maybe I found the reason. Infact I found that when Windows 10 installs the EFI partition as first partition of the...
  10. Disk Partition EFI Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Partition EFI Management: DISK PARTITION INCLUDING EFI SYSTEM PARTITION AND RECOVERY DRIVE PARTITION. Earlier my File Explorer used to display C drive and D drive Recovery Drive which majorly contains only the recovery file. However, after a windows update a long time back, the D drive stopped...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. move efi partition to start of disk