Windows 10: How to re-enable search indexing?

Discus and support How to re-enable search indexing? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows' search indexing used to work on my computer, but after a recent automatic update, it stopped working. Trying to re-enable search indexing to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Diadochos, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Diadochos Win User

How to re-enable search indexing?

Windows' search indexing used to work on my computer, but after a recent automatic update, it stopped working. Trying to re-enable search indexing to search for text content in files/documents on my computer isn't working. I've found many pages online describing how to do this in Windows 10, but none of them seem to apply to my version of Windows 10, Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.1110. Apparently the instructions I found pertained to Legacy versions of Windows 10, but mine is the newer Chromium version. So I did the following: Searching in Cortana under the Apps tab, I en

:)

Diadochos, Jul 29, 2021

2. Indexing is not working

Hi Doc,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

This issue may occur due to corrupt Windows search files or settings. I suggest you to follow the below method and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run search and indexing troubleshooter
    and check. Please follow these steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.

• Click troubleshooting in the search results.

• Click "View all" and then click "Search and Indexing".

• Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Check if Indexing and Windows Search services are enabled. If not, enable them, if they are already enabled, then disable Windows Search Service and then enable again and restart.

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type services in the run box, go to the Windows search services and restart them.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Jul 29, 2021
  3. Jan Del Win User
    Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Jul 29, 2021
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 29, 2021
Thema:

1. How to re-enable search indexing? - Similar Threads - enable search indexing

2. How to re-enable audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-enable audio: I can't hear any notification sounds, like the low battery sound or the e-mail received. I can hear everything else. I do believe that I somehow ended up deactivating the sounds, but how do I re-enable them?...
  3. search indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  4. search indexing

search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  5. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  6. How to rebuild search index.

How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  7. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Search Index

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Index: Sir, I have HP 14s laptop with windows 10 OS and my laptop has been some issue with search index Indexing is not running from few days back and I have to know proper solution to solve this problem. I already done with all step present on Youtube and by HP consultant on...
  9. Searching is incredibly slow despite file indexation enabled

in Cortana
    Searching is incredibly slow despite file indexation enabled: Hi, I indexed some folders in my HDD folder but the searching is abnormally slow. With my last keyword, it takes 5 minute 30 seconds to find a folder containing the said keyword in its name while the folder is only three directory levels above the directory level where I...
  10. Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows How to Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows Indexing the contents of your PC helps you get faster results when you're searching it for files and other things. Learn how it works. Indexing is the process of...