Windows 10: How to re-install W10 without losing activation key

Discus and support How to re-install W10 without losing activation key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After a spectacular crash on my Acer Aspire laptop, I spent several hours on MS Chat who were as helpful as possible. However, the conclusion was that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oldcelt, Jan 29, 2018.

1. oldcelt Win User

How to re-install W10 without losing activation key

After a spectacular crash on my Acer Aspire laptop, I spent several hours on MS Chat who were as helpful as possible. However, the conclusion was that a re-installation was necessary. I downloaded the .iso advised by MS and formatted a USB device ready to boot.

However, I don't have any previous installation media and no record of a key because it was a free upgrade from Windows 7. How do I go about re-installing without losing the registered activation please?

:)

oldcelt, Jan 29, 2018

2. How do I change which version of Windows 10 I will get?

Hello,

Where exactly are you able to unlock W10 Pro? I did a clean install of W10 Home by accident and can't activate it with my W8 Pro key. IF I can convert my W10 Home edition to W10 Pro, I can use my key to activate without having to reinstall W8 and upgrade
    it to W10. Please let me know how you unlocked W10 Pro.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Andre

MagicalMind, Jan 29, 2018
  3. WINDOWS 10 1607 PRODUCT KEY

Hello,

My laptop came with pre-installed Windows 8.1 and later I upgraded to Windows 10. Previously when I installed W10 it didn't asked me for a product key. But now when I tried to reinstall W10 (Build1607) it asks for a product key which I don't have as the
    previous versions are activated using digital license. So I need to know how can I activate my W10 installation if I proceed the installation without a product key? Or do I have to still use the old W10 iso for installation?

Thank you

NIDHINRADH, Jan 29, 2018
  4. How to re-install W10 without losing activation key

You can install Windows 10 to your computer without the product key as it was free upgrade from Windows 7 you can also use Windows 7 product key to activate Windows 10.

FreeBooter, Jan 29, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    It's registered on ms servers so no need for key skip it when it asks and it will activate via their servers

Samuria, Jan 29, 2018
  6. Barman58 Win User
    The activation is stored on Microsoft's servers and is tied to your Hardware specification, if you simply install and select the "I do not have a Key" or similar option when prompted the system will auto activate as soon as it has a connection to Microsoft's servers. If you are using wireless connection to the network this can take longer than if it's an ethernet connection but will happen in a short time

Barman58, Jan 29, 2018
  7. oldcelt Win User
    Really? The old Windows 7 product key will still activate a new installation of Windows 10?
    I should add that the PC has been running Windows 10 since it first became available as a free upgrade - summer 2015!

oldcelt, Jan 29, 2018
  8. oldcelt Win User

Thanks Barman58: I wasn't aware of that.

oldcelt, Jan 29, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    A couple more points to be aware of. Your HDD is not part of the unique hardware ID, so you are free to replace it (say, with an SSD), clean install and still get activated automatically.

The digital licence your upgrade earned is valid only for one edition (Home or Pro). When reinstalling, make sure you install the same edition as you had before.

10. Barman58 Win User
    Also, if you have a Microsoft ID, (Hotmail, Live, or Outlook.com email address), and you choose to login with this ID rather than a local ID you gain some extra protection in that it's possible to re-install to a system where one of the tied items (eg. the Motherboard), has been replaced

Barman58, Jan 29, 2018
  11. cereberus Win User
    Further more for each Version (Home, PRO etc), there can be multiple Editions (actually Edition refers to variant of Version but we (including myself) do to rather tend use the terms interchangeably) i.e. normal, N EU Edition, and for Home SL Single Language Edition (I just typed Version and had to edit post :-D).

So you have to have the right Version (Home, Pro etc), and right Edition (normal, N or SL) for it to activate. For most users the Edition is normal (no letter prefix).

cereberus, Jan 29, 2018
  12. Barman58 Win User

I am not sure if the use of a Win7 key will activate windows 10 any longer, it should be possible to use the same one as originally used to re-activate a previously activated copy, (but as already stated it should not be needed as the offsite activation should work), The free upgrade for Assistive Technology users has now ended and I am not sure of the status of the unofficial extended free upgrade

Barman58, Jan 29, 2018
  13. I think we still can use Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10, i have not found any information about this option have been removed in latest version of Windows 10.

FreeBooter, Jan 29, 2018
  14. Barman58 Win User
    The end of the AT offer only came into force on the 16Th Jan 2018, and have not heard anything either way on the general update free offer (that is not recognised by MS), as to changes in status, It will have to be checked by someone with a spare unused W7 key or active Win7/8/8.1 system to upgrade

The initial free upgrade that allowed the use of previous keys to clean install or to upgrade an existing install for free ended on July 29, 2016, but nothing actually changed, so MS could just stop at anytime and not say anything *Wink

Barman58, Jan 29, 2018
Thema:

1. How to re-install W10 without losing activation key - Similar Threads - install W10 without

2. How to re-install windows 10 without losing digital keys?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to re-install windows 10 without losing digital keys?: My friend's old laptop, it has terrible hardwareintel celeron, automatically updated to windows 11 even though it's far from eligible. It can't handle it, and is running very slowly. It has been more than 10 days since it had updated so we can't roll it back to windows 10....
  3. How to re-install windows 10 without losing digital keys?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-install windows 10 without losing digital keys?: My friend's old laptop, it has terrible hardwareintel celeron, automatically updated to windows 11 even though it's far from eligible. It can't handle it, and is running very slowly. It has been more than 10 days since it had updated so we can't roll it back to windows 10....
  4. How to re-install windows 10 without losing digital keys?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows Re install without loosing Windows Activation

Windows Re install without loosing Windows Activation: Can i reinstall Windows 10 from the Windows 10 Iso without loosing its Windows Activation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-re-install-without-loosing-windows/6c58a80e-8644-4f34-9923-779038032eea
  6. Activation without losing games.

Activation without losing games.: So I have bought cold war and pubg on my pc but windows was not activated and my cold war will not open. Idk if not having windows activated is what's stopping cold war from opening, but I just wanted to know if it's possible to buy a key for windows and activate it without...
  7. i need to instal w10 1909 without losing anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i need to instal w10 1909 without losing anything: i have w10 2004 but the game forza horizon 4 dont work, the only thing i can do is go back to 1909, i know i have to download the iso with ruffus, but what should i do to keep all my archives and programs? thanks for read and sorry for bad english submitted by /u/isma_fdc...
  8. Installed W10's activation key?

Installed W10's activation key?: Hello. Is W10 Home Ed's control panel -> system and security -> system -> Windows activation's Product ID the key (its last three letters says OEM) used to install & activate? If not, then where I can get its activation key to install W10 cleanly from scratch? Thank you for...
  9. Re-Installing W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-Installing W10: Hi, HP desktop. I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro. I do not have W7 product key. I would like to fresh install W10 Pro because my PC has so much junk. I will use a W10 ISO file downloaded from the web. Will I be asked for a key when re-installing W10.....? Thank...
  10. Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ?: Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ? I am helping a friend with his Asus laptop. The hard drive is damaged, and there is no hope of using the recovery (re-install) partition on his hard drive. He was wary of the cost of a new drive, and the cost of a new W10 Pro...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to re install W10 pro after hard drive failure