Windows 10: How to re-install windows after replacing a failed drive?

Discus and support How to re-install windows after replacing a failed drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The SDD on which I had Windows 10 Enterprise Edition installed died, so I replaced it with a hard drive today. Now how do I re-install Windows? I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JerryG2KD, Feb 11, 2019.

1. JerryG2KD Win User

How to re-install windows after replacing a failed drive?

The SDD on which I had Windows 10 Enterprise Edition installed died, so I replaced it with a hard drive today. Now how do I re-install Windows? I tried to do it with a DVD I made from the ISO file but it created partitions then locked them, and nothing I've tried has worked. I have a second hard drive that was in the computer with the SSD, and it has a recovery partition in it, but I don't know how to activate it and I'm not sure if it has everything that would be needed. The SSD is completely dead with an electronic failure that has wiped out the whole thing.

There must be a straightforward way to do this, no? My Windows software was legally obtained and properly activated, so it seems as though I should be able to do this without having to purchase anything additional. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

JerryG

:)

JerryG2KD, Feb 11, 2019
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Feb 11, 2019
  3. dhdude Win User
    Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile How to re-install windows after replacing a failed drive? :)

dhdude, Feb 11, 2019
  4. How to re-install windows after replacing a failed drive?

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

How to re-install windows after replacing a failed drive?

1. How to re-install windows after replacing a failed drive? - Similar Threads - install replacing failed

2. How to get windows 10 back after my hard drive failed and replaced?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to get windows 10 back after my hard drive failed and replaced?: My hard drive failed and I replaced it. It now say no bootable devices which means I need an OS. I had window 10 before it failed, how would I get it back?...
  3. Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD: I'm helping out a friend with an older AMD quad core Dell XPS 625 running Windows 10 Home 1803. The original Seagate 1 TB drive was failing with some bad sectors. I used Acronis 2017 to back up to an external USB drive. I installed a new 1 TB WD SSD drive and restored the...
  4. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive: I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed...
  5. Re-activating Windows 10 Pro after a motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-activating Windows 10 Pro after a motherboard replacement: I think I'm royally screwed here, but want to confirm with you guys who are far move savvy than I am. I had an Asus Eee (mini) with Win7 that I upgraded (and I use the term loosely) to Win10 a couple of years ago when it was free. Shortly thereafter I purchased the MS...
  6. how to reinstall windows 10 (home) after replace hard drive

how to reinstall windows 10 (home) after replace hard drive: FACTS: Dell inspiron 3050 (small fanless cube) came with windows 8.1 later upgraded to windows 10 .. it only had a 32 gig solid state drive which is so crowded now it has NOT been able to update since oct 2017because it says it needs 8 gig on c to do the update ... I tried...
  7. Reclaiming Apps for re-install after re-install W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reclaiming Apps for re-install after re-install W10: I've been digging through many fora for this obvious issue...cannot find. Once I wipe out all the apps and data by a Re-install / Clean Install: I got the data backed up, but there was backup of the apps. How do I get the paid ones back? Surely not >Store...
  8. after clean re-installation of windows..

in Windows 10 Support
    after clean re-installation of windows..: After clean re-installation of windows. is AV and internet security the first thing I should install before connecting to the internet? 90660
  9. Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive: Toshiba C55 series with a failing hard drive. My first attempt was to clone the drives using my Acronis True Image 2015. Formatted the new drive and placed in the PC. Old HD in a USB drive enclosure. Booted from the TI "Bootable Rescue Media.." As soon as it started to...
  10. How to re-install

How to re-install: We upgraded to Windows 10 on 5 dell notebook computers, but one has had problems since the install. It just doesn't run smoothly, constantly stalls, takes forever to boot/shutdown, and seems to want to constantly update which appears to fix nothing. None of our other...