Windows 10: How to reactivate W10 with a local account after replacing the motherboard?

Discus and support How to reactivate W10 with a local account after replacing the motherboard? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I clean installed Windows 1903 in May of last year, and followed a guide to run it with a local account, for privacy reasons. I already had a Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EeK09, Jan 8, 2020.

1. /u/EeK09 Win User

How to reactivate W10 with a local account after replacing the motherboard?

I clean installed Windows 1903 in May of last year, and followed a guide to run it with a local account, for privacy reasons. I already had a Microsoft account and had it linked to my copy of Windows 10 prior to that clean installation, as I had been using the same PC since 2017. I successfully installed 1903 and activated W10.

Recently, my motherboard died and I was forced to upgrade to a new one, moving from Intel to AMD, in the process. Because it happened unexpectedly, I couldn't prepare W10 for a hardware change, as recommended by Microsoft.

Now, I'm trying to reactivate Windows through the troubleshooter. The first couple steps, where it asks for my Microsoft account login information and 2FA authentication code, go smoothly. However, when it gets to the screen where it asks for my "current Windows password one last time", it always gives me an error message stating that the password that I entered is incorrect.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't actually create a password for my local account, leaving the field blank when it prompted me, as I knew that I'd eventually forget it or it'd cause me issues when trying to access my PC in safe mode (not to mention asking for a password every time I logged in). If I did, all the passwords that I tried aren't working. I also tried entering my W10 product key directly, but that isn't working either.

Everything seems to be working fine for now (I even updated Windows to 1909), but I'd still like to reactivate my copy of W10. Any help is appreciated.

submitted by /u/EeK09
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EeK09, Jan 8, 2020

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jan 8, 2020
  3. Can't reactivate Windows 10 Pro after replacing motherboard

Hi,

I've just replaced a faulty motherboard in my PC and tried to reactivate Windows 10 Pro via the Windows Activation troubleshooter. The license linked to my account is an upgrade from a retail version of a previous version (so i should be able to reactivate
    it). After selecting the correct device to activate I am presented with the following error message:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

Learn more

You can also activate this device by going to the Store and purchasing a genuine copy of Windows.

How to reactivate W10 with a local account after replacing the motherboard? Store.24.png

Go to Store

The "Learn more" page referred to does not help as I have just followed the steps listed on that page to get to where I am now.

Phil Brent, Jan 8, 2020
  4. RS_891 Win User

Reactivating Windows after replacing an OEM motherboard.

can not reactivate after replacing an oem motherboard

[Original title:
    reativating]

RS_891, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

1. How to reactivate W10 with a local account after replacing the motherboard? - Similar Threads - reactivate W10 local

2. Difficulties with Reactivating Windows 10 After Replacing Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Difficulties with Reactivating Windows 10 After Replacing Motherboard: I recently had to change my motherboard, because I was having issues with it. After replacing it, I reinstalled Windows 10 as well. Naturally, I had to reactivate Windows 10, however, when I tried to input the 25-character product key, I got the following error message:Just...
  3. WIndows auto-reactivating after motherboard replacement?

WIndows auto-reactivating after motherboard replacement?: Hi all - just a quick question. I have an HP laptop I was asked to repair. Turns out the motherboard is toast. I want to order a replacement used board from Ebay. The current dead board has an embedded Win10 license key. That means that the new board should also have an...
  4. WIndows auto-reactivating after motherboard replacement?

in Windows 10 Support
    WIndows auto-reactivating after motherboard replacement?: Hi all - just a quick question. I have an HP laptop I was asked to repair. Turns out the motherboard is toast. I want to order a replacement used board from Ebay. The current dead board has an embedded Win10 license key. That means that the new board should also have an...
  5. Reactivation problems after replacing motherboard

Reactivation problems after replacing motherboard: Hi everyone, Yesterday, I replaced my motherboard on my PC, and now my Windows won't reactivate. I had the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro, and I'm fairly sure there is supposed to be a licence attached to my account, but I don't know how to find it. I had...
  6. Reactivating Windows after replacing motherboard

Reactivating Windows after replacing motherboard: Some backstory before I start- Back in June of 2018 I bought a prebuilt Cyberpower pc. After 2 years the motherboard died, so I replaced it. After booting it up, I have a little thing in the bottom right hand corner of my screen that says, "Activate Windows. Go to Settings to...
  7. Difficulty Reactivating Windows After Replacing Motherboard

Difficulty Reactivating Windows After Replacing Motherboard: Hello, I've had to replace my motherboard and CPU after a catastrophic power failure. After reinstalling Windows (unfortunately, I had to reformat the drives in the process), I am unable to activate it. I tried troubleshooting the activation and selecting the old...
  8. Can't reactivate Windows after replacing motherboard

Can't reactivate Windows after replacing motherboard: I recently had to replace my motherboard after it had fried and now I can't activate Windows. I've seen that apparently when Windows 10 is preinstalled, it is an OEM license and can't be activated after changing motherboard. Since getting the computer that had Windows 10...
  9. Unable to reactivate after motherboard replacement

Unable to reactivate after motherboard replacement: i recently replaced my motherboard and didn't create a restore point nor do i have the key as it was i think bought somewhere online. In my microsoft account the previous PC(with old Motherboard) is still shown in my account which i think is still activated for some reason...
  10. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement

Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement: So I recently had a motherboard failure and had to get a new one. My Windows 10 (which was activated earlier) started showing as not activated after I did. I must add that I upgraded to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7 Home Basic using the anytime upgrade offer that was...