Windows 10: How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

Discus and support How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded the computer that I run windows on. After the upgrade I installed a new copy of windows, I am trying to migrate the old product key from one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ThomasVaron, Nov 28, 2023.

1. How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

I upgraded the computer that I run windows on. After the upgrade I installed a new copy of windows, I am trying to migrate the old product key from one computer to another, my old computer to the new computer, and what I have found online is that I need to get the product key from the old computer's install of windows. However, when starting that copy of windows it says, "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. Error code: 0xC004F211" and running the troubleshooter says, "We can't activate Windows on this device right now. You can try activating again later or go to th

:)

ThomasVaron, Nov 28, 2023
  2. mlg63 Win User

Change hardware product key

If you linked your original activation to your Microsoft Account and you have the latest version of Windows 10, you will have a Digital License. Your product key will be on MS servers connected to your MS acct. See this for instructions--

Reactivating Windows after a hardware change - Microsoft Support

mlg63, Nov 28, 2023
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 28, 2023
  4. Rose Cal Win User

How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Nov 28, 2023
Thema:

How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

1. How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key? - Similar Threads - reactivate hardware change

2. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?: Hi, so I had Windows 7 pro which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. I had some issues which meant my only option was to reinstall Windows. I also have a newer laptop that I've put my hard drive in. I did a clean install of Windows 10 from a disk I...
  3. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?: Hi, so I had Windows 7 pro which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. I had some issues which meant my only option was to reinstall Windows. I also have a newer laptop that I've put my hard drive in. I did a clean install of Windows 10 from a disk I...
  4. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?: I upgraded the computer that I run windows on. After the upgrade I installed a new copy of windows, I am trying to migrate the old product key from one computer to another, my old computer to the new computer, and what I have found online is that I need to get the product key...
  6. How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?: I upgraded the computer that I run windows on. After the upgrade I installed a new copy of windows, I am trying to migrate the old product key from one computer to another, my old computer to the new computer, and what I have found online is that I need to get the product key...
  7. reactivating windows key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reactivating windows key after hardware change: Hi,my motherboard recently needed replacement, and when it did, I had driver issues with my graphics card and I just couldn't operate the machine. So I decided to pull the most important information from my SSD, extract the Windows key Windows 10 and do a clean reinstall....
  8. reactivating windows key after hardware change

reactivating windows key after hardware change: Hi,my motherboard recently needed replacement, and when it did, I had driver issues with my graphics card and I just couldn't operate the machine. So I decided to pull the most important information from my SSD, extract the Windows key Windows 10 and do a clean reinstall....
  9. W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi there,So I have this nice gaming PC and I'm planning to upgrade some of its hardware next month MoBo, CPU and SSD. I bought W10 from an online retailer back in 2016 and they shipped a small blue box with an activation key inside but I've moved twice to different apartments...
  10. reactivating windows 10 on new hardware, without "proper" product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    reactivating windows 10 on new hardware, without "proper" product key: Sorry for so many posts, but this may be my most important question yet. My "introduction" to windows 10 started with the purchase of a used machine, from a computer/resaler on Amazon. It is a fully activated install (seems like an OEM install) of windows 10 pro, 64 bit. The...