Windows 10: How to read dump files?

Discus and support How to read dump files? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just got my first BSOD! I wasn't quick enough to note down the full error as Windows did a crash dump, but I did notice the offending file was an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by nigelmercier, Nov 23, 2015.

1. How to read dump files?

I just got my first BSOD!

I wasn't quick enough to note down the full error as Windows did a crash dump, but I did notice the offending file was an Atheros driver. This was confirmed by Control Panel | Reliability Monitor

Source
    Windows

Summary
    Shut down unexpectedly

Date
    ‎24/‎11/‎2015 10:35

Status
    Report sent

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    Code: 1000007e
    Parameter 1: ffffffffc0000005
    Parameter 2: fffff800dd3dfbe1
    Parameter 3: ffffd0002093c938
    Parameter 4: ffffd0002093c150
    OS version: 10_0_10240
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    OS Version: 10.0.10240.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: AV_athurx!Hw11HeartBeatCallBack

I've used the DM Log Collector to get the DMP file, but I'd quite like to study it myself, and send relevant parts to Alfa (who make the offending Wi-Fi adaptor with the Atheros chipset).

:)

nigelmercier, Nov 23, 2015

2. WinDBG Debuggee not connected

Yes i did! I was reading the dumps with the link by its side. I am very keen on learning how to read these dumps and will be glad to try your recommendations

Here are the dump files

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArEigW8sE3Q-kDjt56Ii3W-yVXly

chooxingyu, Nov 23, 2015
  3. garybear89, Nov 23, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

How to read dump files?

You can look here WinDBG - Install Configure - Windows 10 Forums

It is quite easy really. Install WinDBG from the ADK, Associate .dmp with WinDBG, put in the symbol path, copy your MEMORY.dbg file to the desktop and open it.

99 times out of 100 it will tell you that some driver is in error. Otherwise it will generally be overclocking, hardware or antivirus.

If you see "probably caused by xxxx.sys" then you can go to this site Driver Reference Table - npf.sys (replacing the =npf.sys with whatever the debugger shows)

5. Thanks, I got the info attached and sent it to Alfa...

I've also figured out the error was: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED athurx.sys

nigelmercier, Nov 23, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    Not exactly true, it is more 90/100 times that a driver is causing problems. Memory problems are very common so then you'll see 'probably caused by: memory_corruption' or something similar and even then it doesn't have to be the modules but some settings.

It is quite easy to configure Windbg, but it takes a lot from one to actually proper read dump files.

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to read dump files?

1. How to read dump files? - Similar Threads - read dump files

2. Need help on reading dump files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help on reading dump files.: Hi,I'm a technical support for a store consist of 3 POS. Since 4 months ago, all these 3 POS have been randomly auto restart or BSOD. It can happen during peak hour or even after the store closed they leave running 24/7. I have swapped parts such as motherboard, HDD, RAM, PSU...
  3. Need help on reading dump files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help on reading dump files.: Hi,I'm a technical support for a store consist of 3 POS. Since 4 months ago, all these 3 POS have been randomly auto restart or BSOD. It can happen during peak hour or even after the store closed they leave running 24/7. I have swapped parts such as motherboard, HDD, RAM, PSU...
  4. Windows crashed, not surehow to read this dump file or how to fix it.

Windows crashed, not surehow to read this dump file or how to fix it.: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.25200.1003 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\010623-33562-01.dmp]Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available************* Path validation summary...
  5. Windows crashed, not surehow to read this dump file or how to fix it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows crashed, not surehow to read this dump file or how to fix it.: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.25200.1003 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\010623-33562-01.dmp]Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available************* Path validation summary...
  6. Help reading dump file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help reading dump file: Before we get started, yes I do realize this is still running Windows Vista. This is my uncle's computer that he uses an offline application for.Dump FilePreview of dump file:ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY fcAn attempt was made to execute non-executable memory. The...
  7. Help reading dump file

Help reading dump file: Before we get started, yes I do realize this is still running Windows Vista. This is my uncle's computer that he uses an offline application for.Dump FilePreview of dump file:ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY fcAn attempt was made to execute non-executable memory. The...
  8. Help reading a Dump file

Help reading a Dump file: My Pc has a new found power loss issue during gaming it simply loses power and there are little to no error logs. I have logs about Drivers failing on every startup that I dont believe are related, and after I reboot from a crash I see error 41 Kernal Power, And Error 6008,...
  9. help reading dump file

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    help reading dump file: my pc has been crashing when entering a vr game sometimes. sometimes it works perfect but sometimes it "reboots from a bug check" anyways i have my latest dump file here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WqXNJ3elC17ndgRWcKnHw_34TFKvua_R/view?usp=sharing...
  10. How do I read or understand dump file?

How do I read or understand dump file?: Windows 10 created a new crashdump file called ShellExperienceHost.exe.3708 in my AppData/local/Crashdumps folder, does anyone know how to read one of these dump files or what this one means to me??? Thanks. 22175