Windows 10: How to read GPS data on photos

Discus and support How to read GPS data on photos in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I have found the GPS data on my photos (latitude and longitude) but can't work out how to read it. For example, if I plug in the first two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by peanutbuttersquare, May 10, 2019.

1. How to read GPS data on photos

Hi all,

I have found the GPS data on my photos (latitude and longitude) but can't work out how to read it.

For example, if I plug in the first two numbers into Google Maps (eg. 35 41, 139 34) I get an approximate location, but not exact. I suspect the long decimal number would help with this, but no matter how I use it I can't seem to get a result. I have tried using these numbers alone (eg. 45.679, 14.809) thinking they might be the decimal form of the lat and long.

Any help?

How to read GPS data on photos b25b1fd4-415d-4a6c-93bc-a516a4cc36e9?upload=true.png

Cheers.

:)

peanutbuttersquare, May 10, 2019

2. GPS data

It seems from the photos in this link (half way down the page):

http://www.nokiasymbianthemes.com/free-mobile-applications/ovi-maps-3-features-downloads-and-plugins

that, at some stage, the functionality from the old "GPS data" program was available within Ovi maps v3. I have v3.04 on my N8-00 and I can NOT find it anywhere. Where can we find out the list of changes for each version of Ovi Maps? I'm prepared to revert
    to an older version if I can get access to GPS data.

montse_ros, May 10, 2019
  3. petrib Win User
    GPS data

What do you mean? Do you expect to find a file you could access and read/copy that contains stored/accumulated GPS data? If so, then there is no such file.

If your goal is something else, please explain.

In general, the GPS receiver gets its current position info from the GPS satellites and there is an application programming interface (API) to retrieve it. The software that gets the location info from the GPS receiver may, in addition, complement the data
    with network-based info, and then returns the location info to the calling application who needs to know. Then the next moment the position is calculated again.

Applications can use the value to show a location on the map, or save the current location to a photo to record where it was taken, etc. Applications could also log/save the location over a period of time, but as far as I know, the phone has no such built-in
    applications, so you'd have to find and install such an app yourself (or create/develop one, if you have the skills or decide to learn).

So, at most, one could say that the GPS data is stored temporarily in the phone memory, but lost if no applications read the data and use it for something.

petrib, May 10, 2019
  4. kormath Win User

How to read GPS data on photos

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done How to read GPS data on photos :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, May 10, 2019
Thema:

How to read GPS data on photos

1. How to read GPS data on photos - Similar Threads - read GPS data

2. How to Supply Windows Location Services with NMEA GPS Data Via MQTT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Supply Windows Location Services with NMEA GPS Data Via MQTT: Hello,I have a question about getting my lattePanda Delta 3 864 with Windows 10 Pro to use NMEA GPS data fed to a locally served Eclipse MQTT server/broker-deprecated. I have a Beitian BN-880 connected to a PI Pico W that feeds GPS data to a MQTT server running on Windows 10...
  3. How to Supply Windows Location Services with NMEA GPS Data Via MQTT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Supply Windows Location Services with NMEA GPS Data Via MQTT: Hello,I have a question about getting my lattePanda Delta 3 864 with Windows 10 Pro to use NMEA GPS data fed to a locally served Eclipse MQTT server/broker-deprecated. I have a Beitian BN-880 connected to a PI Pico W that feeds GPS data to a MQTT server running on Windows 10...
  4. GPS NMEA 0183 Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPS NMEA 0183 Data: My Tablet updated to Win 11 build 22H2. None of the Prolific drivers will work. Have updated all the Intel driver and Bluetooth drivers. Still can not stream data from a GPS-5 GPS Receiver nor a GlobalSat BU353N5. Although a Garmin Glo 2 will Pair with the tablet, it will NOT...
  5. GPS NMEA 0183 Data

GPS NMEA 0183 Data: My Tablet updated to Win 11 build 22H2. None of the Prolific drivers will work. Have updated all the Intel driver and Bluetooth drivers. Still can not stream data from a GPS-5 GPS Receiver nor a GlobalSat BU353N5. Although a Garmin Glo 2 will Pair with the tablet, it will NOT...
  6. Sharing a USB GPS puck data to multiple programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Sharing a USB GPS puck data to multiple programs: I plugged in a usb gps, and windows assigned a com3 port to it. I can easily connect OpenCPN navigation program to it and it gets data. What though if I wanted other programs to also be able to use the gps? How would you do that? And are their any utilities to view the...
  7. GPS . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPS . . .: Along4 with7 my text problem. I have a Dell Vostro 3583, laptop. Is, it possible to add GPS? Then, I assume, I could enter a city, anywhere. And watch7 th7e traffic moving4 around . . . Using GPS? If it can't be done? Oh7 well, h7ad to try. Th7anks for reading4 . . ....
  8. Photos app not reading photos

Photos app not reading photos: Photos app reads all pictures in my pictures folder but I have the following folder with my synced wallpapers and it says no readable photos found the app does not read pictures located in appdata/local/Microsoft/windows/themes The folder is desktop background and it has...
  9. Changing GPS coordinates format in Photos

Changing GPS coordinates format in Photos: I need GPS coordinates in Latitude and Longitude in my photos, but when I view "File info" in Microsoft Photos App on Win 10, it sometimes shows the Latitude and Longitude for a while and then goes back to showing the real location, i.e. the place name itself. Is there any...
  10. GPS data in Explorer details view

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPS data in Explorer details view: Can anyone explain me why in the details view of Explorer it is not possible to find a heading for a new column related to GPS info. It is indeed available in the Properties Tab but it is cumbersome to open it every time for each photo to check. If it was listed in such a...