Windows 10: How to read my old laptop drive and retrieve it files

Discus and support How to read my old laptop drive and retrieve it files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have connected my old laptop drive to my other laptop. However, I can see the drive, but there are no visible folders in the drive that have the OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mansouraYahya, Oct 10, 2020.

1. How to read my old laptop drive and retrieve it files

I have connected my old laptop drive to my other laptop. However, I can see the drive, but there are no visible folders in the drive that have the OS system. Althrough, I can access all the files that I have saved in the partition that I have created long back. I can't reboot my laptop because of a problem in the OS. I need to retrieve my files before formatting and installing a new windows.

I have tried to check hidden files, but the files still not appearing.

:)

mansouraYahya, Oct 10, 2020

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Oct 10, 2020
  3. Nordic Win User
    What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Oct 10, 2020
  4. How to read my old laptop drive and retrieve it files

Windows 10 cannot read drive from old computer

My windows 7 professional laptop died with a mother board failure. I have purchased a new Windows 10 home computer and removed the hard drive from my old computer. This drive had a hard drive password set on it.

I have placed the old hard drive into a USB drive caddy and plugged it into my new machine but it cannot be read.

It does not appear in File Explorer and but when I go into compute management the drive is shown as unallocated with no options for allocating a drive letter to it.

Any suggestions so that I can load all of my files from the old drive onto my new computer would be most welcome.

I did have all files backed up to an external drive but the software has not been upgraded to run on Windows 10.

SouthEssex, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

How to read my old laptop drive and retrieve it files

1. How to read my old laptop drive and retrieve it files - Similar Threads - read old laptop

2. Can data from old IDE drives be read and retrieved in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can data from old IDE drives be read and retrieved in windows 11?: I am attempting to read my old IDE drives in windows 11 using a Fideco USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA converter cable. Nothing is showing in disk management that detects it, other than a delayed sound notification that a USB device was connected. Is this a controller issue with windows...
  3. Can data from old IDE drives be read and retrieved in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can data from old IDE drives be read and retrieved in windows 11?: I am attempting to read my old IDE drives in windows 11 using a Fideco USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA converter cable. Nothing is showing in disk management that detects it, other than a delayed sound notification that a USB device was connected. Is this a controller issue with windows...
  4. How can I retrieve encrypted files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I retrieve encrypted files from old hard drive: My computer died last week, there seemed to be an issue with the motherboard so the technician removed the hard drive and made it an external HD. Fast forward to now, I can plug in the external to my new laptop and retrieve copy files but not ones that were encrypted saying I...
  5. How can I retrieve encrypted files from old hard drive

How can I retrieve encrypted files from old hard drive: My computer died last week, there seemed to be an issue with the motherboard so the technician removed the hard drive and made it an external HD. Fast forward to now, I can plug in the external to my new laptop and retrieve copy files but not ones that were encrypted saying I...
  6. Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files: I had my Windows 10 PC Reset and lost everything, when I signed back in with the same email address, the one I used before, my files,apps,and basically everything was gone, and was back to from the start of a fresh windows 10 beginning.Any Ideas to get it back somehow, and oh...
  7. Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files: I had my Windows 10 PC Reset and lost everything, when I signed back in with the same email address, the one I used before, my files,apps,and basically everything was gone, and was back to from the start of a fresh windows 10 beginning.Any Ideas to get it back somehow, and oh...
  8. Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files

9. Retrieving Windows old files

in Windows 10 Support
    Retrieving Windows old files: Had a disaster yesterday when an update crashed my main desktop. So I ended up doing a clean install and worst of all have been a bit lazy backing up my stuff. So what I would like to know is there any way of retrieving those old files from the previous installation?? Any...
  10. How to retrieve old windows copy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to retrieve old windows copy?: Hello there, So the case is , I have recently bought a new laptop "HP Zbook 15 G3 Model:y6k26es" from a laptop vendor at my city,however under my laptop it says that the laptop is provided with Windows 10 Pro copy,however this isn't true here, my operating system currently is...