Windows 10: How to read the amount of RAM shared to GPU ?

Discus and support How to read the amount of RAM shared to GPU ? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; How to read the amount of RAM shared to GPU in Windows 10 ? I have AMD 5700 176105 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by William40, Mar 17, 2021.

1. William40 Win User

How to read the amount of RAM shared to GPU ?

How to read the amount of RAM shared to GPU in Windows 10 ? I have AMD 5700

:)

William40, Mar 17, 2021
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Shared ram to video ram with no integrated video card.

- I find it difficult to wade through walls of text, and it makes it hard to re-reference parts of the post, but...

- Win10 does have a different way of expressing the amount of system RAM that it allocates to the gpu than Win7.

Win10 also does a better job of using some of the excess RAM installed on so many modern machines than previous Windows versions.

My Win7 used around 1.5+ at idle, while Win10 manages to make use of 2GB+ atm.

- My dedicated gpu with 4GB VRAM, currently has 7.9GB RAM Win10 describes as 'shared' with the gpu.

It also shows a total of 11.9 GB 'gpu memory' (of 16GB total) showing in Processes.

Seems pretty close % to your experience.

Nothing at all to be concerned about.

Win10 will reallocate system RAM on a needs basis to whatever requires the system RAM at the time.

The 'share' is just the amount of system RAM that Win10 loosely 'dedicates' to graphics after discounting the RAM Windows

uses at idle, with a bit of headroom left for whatever else may need some when the graphics are using the RAM.

- You may also notice that the system RAM tab does not show more RAM in use than what should be atm, 'committed'

is not a large amount, and 'available' coincides closely with what is in use.

- Before reading your post, I had no idea Win10 dedicated so much system RAM was allocated to the gpu.

Why ? Because I've never even come close to using my 16GB RAM when running various programs.

I do however have a couple of games that, with what Windows is also using at the time, manage to just break through 8GB system RAM use.

If everything is running smooth... No worries.

- I believe that my Win7 also 'shared' system RAM with the gpu, even without my Intel integrated graphics in use,

but I'll have to boot into Win7 to verify that.

- btw - What configuration or RAM are you using to = 18GB RAM ?

Shouldn't you be using 12 or 24GB factory matched kits of 3 sticks to properly run a 3 channel RAM configuration

without it running in the less efficient single channel mode vs triple channel ?

(As would be the case with dual channel machines using an odd RAM configuration. )

BossDweeb, Mar 17, 2021
  3. 265_Medo Win User
    to increase shared gpu memory

I really want your help in this question rapidly laptop : dell inspiron 15 3576 win 10 pro cpu : i7-8550u ram : 8 gb 2nd gpu : amd radeon 520 my problem is that I am playing a
    gme requiring high hardware performance i shot task manager during play and i found that vram of radeon gpu is 2 gb can increase up to nearly 6 gb so there is about 4 gb shared gpu memory . i want to know how I can use this shared gpu . please answer me rapidly
    and if you say i cannot allocate part of physical memory to vram on my dell inspiron (as i am gonna buy another extra 8 gb ram ) so tell me how i can get benefit of this shared memory because it is not put here for joke and dell company installed an external
    gpu in their laptops which can get shared memory they didnt do that for joke also so for sure this shared memory can be used .please understand me and anwer me . thanks
    How to read the amount of RAM shared to GPU ? 1bc7d631-5d4d-4302-a894-958d2e4e21dc?upload=true.jpg

265_Medo, Mar 17, 2021
  4. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

1. How to read the amount of RAM shared to GPU ? - Similar Threads - read amount RAM

2. Incorrectly showing the amount of RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrectly showing the amount of RAM: Hello to all dear supportersFor some time now, when I work with my laptop, I feel that the laptop has slowed down, and after inquiry, we found out that the RAM of my laptop has changed from 8 gigs to 4 gigs!Every time after turning on the RAM a few times, it becomes 8 again...
  3. Incorrectly showing the amount of RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrectly showing the amount of RAM: Hello to all dear supportersFor some time now, when I work with my laptop, I feel that the laptop has slowed down, and after inquiry, we found out that the RAM of my laptop has changed from 8 gigs to 4 gigs!Every time after turning on the RAM a few times, it becomes 8 again...
  4. I want to reduce the number of ram allocated to my gpu as shared gpu memory

I want to reduce the number of ram allocated to my gpu as shared gpu memory: My laptop has a 8gb ram , where as it is 1.1 gb is used as shared memory to my gpu . how can I reduce it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-reduce-the-number-of-ram-allocated-to-my/195bb244-c846-4c7f-9e6a-f11df4110ded
  5. I want to reduce the number of ram allocated to my gpu as shared gpu memory

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to reduce the number of ram allocated to my gpu as shared gpu memory: My laptop has a 8gb ram , where as it is 1.1 gb is used as shared memory to my gpu . how can I reduce it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-reduce-the-number-of-ram-allocated-to-my/195bb244-c846-4c7f-9e6a-f11df4110ded
  6. I want to reduce the number of ram allocated to my gpu as shared gpu memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. DWM.exe using high amounts of gpu

DWM.exe using high amounts of gpu: So about a day ago i've been noticing that my gpu usage has been spiking alot, and after some searching i found out that DWM.exe was causing the gpu usage. I've tried so many things but nothing has worked before, can anyone help me with this?...
  8. Decrease the amount of RAM used as Shared GPU Memory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Decrease the amount of RAM used as Shared GPU Memory in Windows 10: I have 32Gb RAM on my PC but it looks like only 16Gb is utilized, regardless if I even run Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, and Death Stranding simultaneously. At the same time in Advanced Display Settings, there are 16Gb memory allocated as Shared System Memory which I'm...
  9. Decrease the amount of RAM used as Shared GPU Memory in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Decrease the amount of RAM used as Shared GPU Memory in Windows 10: System: AsRock X99M Extreme4 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: IntelR CoreTM i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz RAM: 64GB Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Dedicated Video Memory: 8GB System Video Memory: 0 Shared Video Memory: 31GB Is there a way to change how much RAM windows 10...
  10. Odd RAM Amounts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd RAM Amounts: I have the impression that 10 uses RAM in a fairly even way, as in more RAM=faster performance. My experience with XP was that it had a "sweet spot", I always ran it with 2GB of RAM. But I'm wondering if the more is faster depending on amount is really true for one thing, but...