Windows 10: How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

Discus and support How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm having a hard time making Windows REALLY stop updating without consent. The idea is that when I'm turning on my laptop for the first time in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ScothMcBeast, Dec 8, 2018.

1. How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

I'm having a hard time making Windows REALLY stop updating without consent.

The idea is that when I'm turning on my laptop for the first time in a while I'm usually in a place where I'm hotspotting with my mobile phone. Needless to say I need to limit my data flow making sure that no updates are running without consent.
    Another annoying issue comes if updates are being loaded. Usually when I'm prepared to shut down the system there is no "shut down" option that doesn't have update related option to go with it. Again needless to say if I need to shut down and move right away there is not time to wait for updates to be installed, I need to plug out of power and go and just yanking the cable out doesn't seem like a healthy solution.

What's the best way to achieve this?

I've searched the forums and found a tutorial. Here's my results on that.

1. There is no gpedit.msc on my system, it seems. Searches, run or CMD come up empty.
    2. Searches on registry root with regedit "Enable_Automatic_Updates.reg" come up empty.
    3. I do not need to stop driver updates, I need to stop all updates.
    4. I don't need to stop non critical updates, I need to stop all updates.
    5. Windows update service is now disabled and still forced updates arrive.

Any other ideas? I read in another forum that someone has tweaked their windows to think they have some sort of cable connection so that the Windows thinks it's costly to download stuff so they can't do it legally without permission hence ending the sneaky forced background stuff. Sounds good enough to me but I haven't found out details on what's being done or how to do it.
    The goal is
    1. never to have ONLY "update and shutdown" options, but also "no thanks, in a hurry today, I'll just want to shut down"
    2. prevent any and all unwanted data download until in an environment where it's preferred (such as solid cable, no wifi)

Thanks for replies.

:)

ScothMcBeast, Dec 8, 2018
  2. horik Win User

How to stop Win10 updating graphic driver!?

Also on Win10 home and no auto-driver update.

horik, Dec 8, 2018
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Dec 8, 2018
  4. horik Win User

How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

How to stop Win10 updating graphic driver!?

I use Win10 Home and it does not auto-update graphic drivers.

horik, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

1. How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating? - Similar Threads - REALLY stop Win10

2. How to stop Windows Update from auto turning on in Services

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to stop Windows Update from auto turning on in Services: So i want to stop Windows Update by editing in Registry ad disable it in Services but after about 3 days it auto turned on in Services. How can i stop this happening? Its very annoying to disable it everyday...
  3. How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!: I've had this problem in the past on a system running W10 Home. But it's happened 3 times now in the past month on a W10 Pro system in the middle of running a weeks long task. Checking the event log I see: Date: 9/25/2020 8:53:43 AM Windows successfully installed the...
  4. How to indefinitely stop auto updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to indefinitely stop auto updates?: Windows 7 was pretty easy and clear on how to stop auto updates (download/install) but w10 doesnt seem to have that option? i recently made a thread about issues with windows 10 version 2004 update seen here...
  5. Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry

Win10's auto-update (disabled AMAP) just made me really, really angry: I already had Windows automatic updates disabled as much as think the operating system allows -- I think. I'm on Win10 1909, build 18363.959. Time to try again, and ask for help here. Windows woke up my computer from hibernation last night, merely to update Edge (which I...
  6. How to stop auto windows update

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop auto windows update: Every morning when I turn on my device it will be autocratically update and the process take an hour sometimes How can I stop that ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-auto-windows-update/380931a3-300b-4d8d-92fe-67e7295c32fe
  7. how to disable win10 auto update?

how to disable win10 auto update?: how to disable win10 auto update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-win10-auto-update/650900ee-a7c9-4680-843d-73073c5b2193
  8. Win10 HOME edition stop auto update ?

Win10 HOME edition stop auto update ?: I am completely exhausted from MONTHS trying to install 1803 on this m32cd with SSD @ 1709 On several other pc's 1803 went on with little trouble. I just want to permanently kill WU, but it happily resets itself. At this point, my attitude toward Windows, is rock-bottom...
  9. A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates.

A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates.: Windows rebooted my PC again the other day, without warning, while I was using it. This is the 3rd time it has done this since "upgrading" to Windows 10. I've tried every possible work-around I can find, but MS keeps "fixing" them so they don't work. I don't have Windows Pro,...
  10. How to get away from Auto Updates from Win10

How to get away from Auto Updates from Win10: So I just got Windows 10 and did a clean install (no upgrade). Now I am going through some of the settings I want turned on and off, but the whole Windows auto update thing is a bit confusing. On Windows 7 I have "Check for updates but let me choose.......", but I don't...