Windows 10: How to REALLY uninstall WSL in order to revert to WSL1?

Discus and support How to REALLY uninstall WSL in order to revert to WSL1? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How does one do a truly clean uninstall of WSL 2 in order to go back to WSL 1?I've tried simple approaches such as "wsl --set-default-version 1" but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Veloz, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Veloz Win User

How to REALLY uninstall WSL in order to revert to WSL1?

How does one do a truly clean uninstall of WSL 2 in order to go back to WSL 1?I've tried simple approaches such as "wsl --set-default-version 1" but I'd still end up with weird errors on WSL startup that mentioned bits were missing for WSL 2.Then I tried to remove all the pieces of WSL and start over including:uninstalling the distro ubuntuuninstall Windows System for Linux Updateturn off Windows Subsystem for Linux and Windows Hypervisor Platform in Windows Featuresrebooting.It then appears WSL is gone, but then when I do a simple re-install to get WSL 1 running by only enabling WSL in P

:)

Veloz, Jul 30, 2021
  2. cormanaz Win User

How to configure Windows 10 WSL1 that's already installed

I need to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Just for fun I typed bash in a command window, and much to my surprise it started up. It was surprising because I never installed it (or at least don't remember doing so), and docs like the install guide from Microsoft imply that you have to.

My W10 version (18362.1082) is lower than necessary to run WSL2, so it must be WSL1 (unless it could be something else). Other than that, since I don't remember installing it, I have no idea what flavor or version of Linux is installed. I tried the normal linux command for this purpose, cat /etc/os-release , which replies there is no such file.

The docs say that the linux admin credentials are independent of the W10 credentials. So I also ran whoami to see if a user had been established and it gave me the same name as for my W10 installation. When I tried to use a sudo command to see if it was the same password too, it said bash: sudo: command not found. So something is amiss.

How can I determine what is going on here? How can I tell if this unix instance is WSL1, and if so whether it is fully set up and what flavor/version of Linux it's running? Also what the admin password is? Or do I still need to take all the steps in the install guide linked above?

Update 1

I found here that I should be able to launch wsl by entering `wsl` on a command line. When I do so it says wsl is not recognized as a command, so I suppose this means wsl1 is not installed. There is some linux installed though, so the question now is whether it's safe to install wsl1 over that or if I need to uninstall the existing first (and if so how to do that).

cormanaz, Jul 30, 2021
  3. WSL 2

I want to make use of WSL 2 feature with the new update of Windows version 2004 , in order to use WSL 2 i need to enable Virtualization in my pc bios settings. So when i enable virtualization my windows starts lagging and all the animations of scrolling
    etc etc lags...Please suggest me something to fix that so that i could use the new virtualization feature.

Legend Hunter 3, Jul 30, 2021
  4. How to REALLY uninstall WSL in order to revert to WSL1?

How do you uninstall chipset drivers?

I'm installing a new mobo so I need to uninstall the intel 865g drivers to make way for the P35 drivers.

Can't find any uninstall options in add/remove programs and intel chipset inst listed in driver cleaner.

Any suggestions? *Confused How to REALLY uninstall WSL in order to revert to WSL1? :confused:

oli_ramsay, Jul 30, 2021
Thema:

How to REALLY uninstall WSL in order to revert to WSL1?

1. How to REALLY uninstall WSL in order to revert to WSL1? - Similar Threads - REALLY uninstall WSL

2. Can't change WSL1 to WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change WSL1 to WSL2: These past couple of days I've bene trying to install Kali Linux on Windows 10 using WSL. However, whatever I do I just get the same error: Error: 0x80041002.I've done some research on what to do and here's the full list of what I've done so far:Clearing Lxss registry key....
  3. Can't change WSL1 to WSL2

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't change WSL1 to WSL2: These past couple of days I've bene trying to install Kali Linux on Windows 10 using WSL. However, whatever I do I just get the same error: Error: 0x80041002.I've done some research on what to do and here's the full list of what I've done so far:Clearing Lxss registry key....
  4. Unable to Uninstall WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Uninstall WSL: Hey,I decided that its was time to uninstall WSL due to it causing issues with another Application, so I uninstalled Ubuntu, uninstalled a WSL Update and WSLg Preview, but when I tried to uninstall WSL from Programs and Features, it rebooted, and then Windows 11 did not start...
  5. Unable to Uninstall WSL

Unable to Uninstall WSL: Hey,I decided that its was time to uninstall WSL due to it causing issues with another Application, so I uninstalled Ubuntu, uninstalled a WSL Update and WSLg Preview, but when I tried to uninstall WSL from Programs and Features, it rebooted, and then Windows 11 did not start...
  6. Uninstall/revert driver updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Uninstall/revert driver updates: Hell all,I believe one or all the driver updates from the 22nd and/or 23rd of December have destabilized my system in that before December 22nd i was able to properly connect to the company VPN with a PIN prompt for the Virtual Smart Card. After i installed the updates, the...
  7. Uninstall/revert driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstall/revert driver updates: Hell all,I believe one or all the driver updates from the 22nd and/or 23rd of December have destabilized my system in that before December 22nd i was able to properly connect to the company VPN with a PIN prompt for the Virtual Smart Card. After i installed the updates, the...
  8. Uninstall/revert driver updates

9. Desktop icons always revert to previous order

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons always revert to previous order: Anytime I reorder the desktop icons after a reboot they will go back to the previous order after a reboot. Also when downloading or copying files to the desktop they always end up in the top left corner above My Computer instead of after the last icon on the right. submitted...
  10. How to configure Windows 10 WSL1 that's already installed

How to configure Windows 10 WSL1 that's already installed: I need to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Just for fun I typed bash in a command window, and much to my surprise it started up. It was surprising because I never installed it (or at least don't remember doing so), and docs like the install guide from Microsoft imply that...