Windows 10: How to recover a user profile and files therein when restore points do not work

Discus and support How to recover a user profile and files therein when restore points do not work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A recent Windows 10 update appears to have deleted a user profile. Have restored to two earlier restore dates, to no avail. The system has created a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lesley, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Lesley Win User

How to recover a user profile and files therein when restore points do not work

A recent Windows 10 update appears to have deleted a user profile. Have restored to two earlier restore dates, to no avail. The system has created a temporary user profile using the same outlook email but the files associated with this user are no where to be seen.

Can anyone advise either how we might restore the original user profile or how we might find the documents which were saved in the onedrive 365 of that user, but for some reason, were not synced with the cloud that's the real crux of the matter as I'm happy to reformat to factory settings once I find the documents.

:)

Lesley, Feb 17, 2021

2. Unable to point Windows to proper C:/User profile

When restoring your files you should direct them to the new profile location. This command will tell you its name:

echo %UserProfile%

I suggest you only restore these folders:

• Desktop
    • Documents
    • Downloads
    • Music
    • Pictures
    • Videos

Frederik Long, Feb 17, 2021
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Pinchy Win User

Deleted file restore software.

I cant remember if it recovers old files OR leaves new files on the computer even after you do the restore. I havent used it in a while.

Pinchy, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

1. How to recover a user profile and files therein when restore points do not work - Similar Threads - recover user profile

2. How to restore the default user profile picture?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore the default user profile picture?: How to restore the default user profile picture? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-default-user-profile-picture/73a74f11-b1ce-43fd-986d-d91c35a4e33a
  3. How to restore the default user profile picture?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore the default user profile picture?: How to restore the default user profile picture? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-default-user-profile-picture/73a74f11-b1ce-43fd-986d-d91c35a4e33a
  4. How to recover my user profile back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover my user profile back?: I was changing my user profile name and while I was in registry editor, I mistyped the name of the profile path of my SID to something that doesn’t exist and continued to delete the temporary account, now when I try to sign in it’s creating many temp users, how do I get my...
  5. How to recover my user profile back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to recover my user profile back?: I was changing my user profile name and while I was in registry editor, I mistyped the name of the profile path of my SID to something that doesn’t exist and continued to delete the temporary account, now when I try to sign in it’s creating many temp users, how do I get my...
  6. How to recover my user profile back?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to recover files from a System Restore Point in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to recover files from a System Restore Point in Windows 10: System Restore Points also called Shadow Copies in Windows include all the files and program when it is created. It is possible at a certain point, you may want to recover a file that is now missing. This post guides on you can recover files from a System Restore Point in...
  8. how to recover profile .bak file

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to recover profile .bak file: Friends, I have accidently deleted Windows .bak profile file from regedit menu & now unable to see my important data. Please advise on how to recover it ? regards Padmaraj...
  9. How to recover a deleted user profile ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to recover a deleted user profile ?: I accidentally deleted my main user account through the control panel but chose the "keep files" option. So my user folder is under C:\Users but i cant find a way to revert all of them back to my previous state. If that is possible at all. I tried creating a new user and...
  10. I do not understand how restore points work exactly.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I do not understand how restore points work exactly.: Hi, I am trying to use restore point and did a little experiment : 1 Install WIN10 Pro 2 Update the system 3 Create a restore point 4 Install Office Pro 5 Restore point created in 3 But Office is still installed! I thought that going back to a restore point will...