Windows 10: How to recover an overwritten text document

Discus and support How to recover an overwritten text document in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was updating my desktop folder where I kept an important text document file and I accidently over wrote it with an older file which was not updating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kufr, Nov 13, 2020.

1. kufr Win User

How to recover an overwritten text document

I was updating my desktop folder where I kept an important text document file and I accidently over wrote it with an older file which was not updating and was from 2016. I had a lot of important text from the past 4 years in the text document file. Is there any way I can restore that file I tried the previous version option in properties option. It says that there are no previous versions available.

Also tried system restore and Recuva but the file was not recovered. Can anyone tell me how can I get that over written file back please.

:)

2. jgunning Win User

Recovering corrupt word documents

Thank you so much..I have tried the program..and it says it saves the recovered text.and when i go to the output file the document is empty.. =(

I think the student will just have to accept the enevitable..:\

jgunning, Nov 13, 2020
  3. DRDNA Win User
    DRDNA, Nov 13, 2020
  4. How to recover an overwritten text document

.Recover shredded document in Word

Hi Janice,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We would suggest you follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

1. Open word application and click the File tab.
    2. Click on Info > Manage Document >
      Recover Unsaved Documents.
    3. A list of unsaved files are shown.
    4. Look for the file try opening and saving it.

You can also refer to
    Back up and restore your files
    under the section Restore your files for more details.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Manjunath_H, Nov 13, 2020
Thema:

How to recover an overwritten text document

1. How to recover an overwritten text document - Similar Threads - recover overwritten text

2. Recovering Overwritten External NTFS Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Overwritten External NTFS Disk: I was creating an USB Bootable Memory Stick an accidently overwrote an External 1TB NTFS Hard Disk, what is the best way to try and recover the Data on it. The Disk now shows as a 16gbyte do I have to format it as 1TB and then try to recover the data?...
  3. How to recover deleted documents folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover deleted documents folder?: The other day my laptop had frozen and once it was loading back up, it seemed to be doing an update. Once it was back on, all my settings had seemed to revert back to how they were when i first got this laptop and all my documents had been moved into users so I dragged one of...
  4. Can I recover an overwritten Camtasia 8 project file?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I recover an overwritten Camtasia 8 project file?: I have been editing my YouTube videos with the cheapest dirty program Camtasia Studio 8 for a while now, but today the program crashed while saving and the size of the program changed to 0 bytes. When I open the project, only an untitled project opens. I pray to the gods that...
  5. Recovering word document

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering word document: [ATTACH]I saved a word document with notes for my dissertation several months ago and have since opened it several times, i would open it by accessing recent world documents as shown below. I am not 100% sure i saved it on to onedrive, however I know it was saved and i could...
  6. To recover document

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    To recover document: My laptop all files are converted in to .carote file format. All my personal files are hidden. Even I use scanner malwarebyte, I cannot recover my laptop. How to resolve this problem....
  7. To recover document

To recover document: My laptop all files are converted in to .carote file format. All my personal files are hidden. Even I use scanner malwarebyte, I cannot recover my laptop. How to resolve this problem....
  8. Recover a document

Recover a document: how can I recover a 594 Word document from February 3rd 2019 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-a-document/49110b59-4d7a-4b42-b12c-192abd6285fc
  9. rich text document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    rich text document: i was typing a letter using notepad. no spell check :( opened up a rtd and my keyboard wont type. keyboard works fine on notepad. websites, search bar etc. it only wont type on a rich text document. any ideas how to fix this?...
  10. How to recover data from non-overwritten blocks and sectors?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to recover data from non-overwritten blocks and sectors?: Hi Guys, I beg you help me to save my life. If I can't recover I DEFINITELY LOSE MY JOB. I have a notebook with 250GB SSD. It had 2 main GPT partition; Local Disk C and Local Disk D. First one size was 100GB for Windows 10 and the next one was 140GB for storing some...