Windows 10: How to recover data from Bitlocker encrypted drive without key/password?

Discus and support How to recover data from Bitlocker encrypted drive without key/password? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I own a Dell laptop with a Windows 10 OS. I have been using it for 3 years, and have done a clean install of windows 10 several times before. My laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WasiAbid, Feb 11, 2020.

1. WasiAbid Win User

How to recover data from Bitlocker encrypted drive without key/password?

I own a Dell laptop with a Windows 10 OS. I have been using it for 3 years, and have done a clean install of windows 10 several times before. My laptop has two disk partitions C drive and D drivE and both were working fine before reinstalling windows. But recently, I made a bootable USB drive with Microsoft's official Windows 10 iso using Rufus. However, Rufus warned me that due to my system type, I would have to disable Secure Boot in order to boot from USB. I have never had to do this before, but I did disable Secure Boot and was able to boot from USB and proceeded to install windows on my C drive which I formatted during installation. After installation, I found that my D drive was locked and it asked for my Bitlocker 48-digit key. The only other option was to load Key from USB. There was no "Enter recovery key" or "More Options" option like I have been seeing online. Needless to say, I do not have the recovery key, I never even knew about bitlocker before this. So I scoured the interent for answers and tried all the listed methods to no avail. First, i tried to recover my key from my Microsoft account which is associated with my Windows, but it did not have my keys. Since I formatted C drive during Windows installation, and my D drive is the one locked, there is no place for me to search the recovery key on the hard disk. I know for sure I didnt create any USB recovery key. I don't even know when Bitlocker was turned on for my laptop. I also tried recovering my Bitlocker password using a few Password recovery tools to no avail. I tried enabling my SecureBoot again and then resetting the BIOS settings to defaults but D drive is still locked. So I'm basically stuck now having lost ALL of my data in D drive. Its infuriating that I am being punished for losing my Bitlocker key when I NEVER EVEN SIGNED UP FOR BITLOCKER ENCRYPTION. What am I supposed to do now?

From my perspective, I have tried most of the available options to me. If you need any more details please let me know. I need to recover my data urgently. Should format my D drive and then recover its data using a tool like EaseUs data recovery which I have used before to excellent results? Or will the recovered data still be encrypted? Am i even able to format D drive without recovery key?

Should I reinstall windows this time with SecureBoot enabled? Will reinstalling windows remove the Bitlocker encryption?

Should I instead recover all my data in C drive which I formatted during Windows installation, and then try to recover my Bitlocker password from that data? I have no recollection of ever saving or being prompted to backup my Bitlocker password, so i dont know whether my password was even saved in the C drive.

Ofcourse, I know my Bitlocker drive ID, though Im not sure its any use when trying to recover the password. What am I supposed to do now?

:)

WasiAbid, Feb 11, 2020

2. how to recover data from bitlocker encrypted drive without the key?

I don't believe there is a way of doing this, that's the point of encryption to prevent this sort of activity. If you have no way of getting the key I would suggest restore from backups.

MarkInKent, Feb 11, 2020
  3. ن٢يف Win User
    how to recover data from bitlocker encrypted drive without the key?

Hi. how to recover data from bitlocker encrypted drive without the key?

Is there any chance so far!!

Thanks

ن٢يف, Feb 11, 2020
  4. How to recover data from Bitlocker encrypted drive without key/password?

Unlocking Bitlocker encrypted system drive without recovery key

Thanks Shenan.

My main point is that I know my BitLocker password, but not my Bitlocker recovery key. I am frustrated as to why the BitLocker recovery key should be necessary if a user knows his BitLocker password. But the system is not offering me any option to enter
    the password.

I'm aware that a clean installation is possible, but my only interest is in recovering the data on the encrypted drive so I don't want to do a clean installation.

I'll try a data recovery service and see what happens How to recover data from Bitlocker encrypted drive without key/password? :( .

tintomatoes, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

How to recover data from Bitlocker encrypted drive without key/password?

1. How to recover data from Bitlocker encrypted drive without key/password? - Similar Threads - recover data Bitlocker

2. Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives: Dear Community,I've used disk partitions over my pre loaded home edition window. By default i've received one C drive but after disk partition now it was three drives. Today i've reinstall the window but now big issue occur, I can access only one C drive other two devices...
  3. Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives: Dear Community,I've used disk partitions over my pre loaded home edition window. By default i've received one C drive but after disk partition now it was three drives. Today i've reinstall the window but now big issue occur, I can access only one C drive other two devices...
  4. How to recover data from BitLocked Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to recover data from BitLocked Drive: Hi, My computer has automatically locked itself with Bitlocker. I did not activate the BitLocker and my data is all in there. I can see the Recovery Key ID on the blue screen but I don't have the key. How can I log in to my computer and where can I find the key? I have tried...
  5. How to recover data from BitLocked Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover data from BitLocked Drive: Hi, My computer has automatically locked itself with Bitlocker. I did not activate the BitLocker and my data is all in there. I can see the Recovery Key ID on the blue screen but I don't have the key. How can I log in to my computer and where can I find the key? I have tried...
  6. How to recover data from BitLocked Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to recover data from a BitLocker Encrypted External HD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover data from a BitLocker Encrypted External HD?: I was encrypting my external HDD using Bitlocker. At about 50%, the cable got unplugged. When I connected the HDD again, it says the drive is locked. When I enter the password, it does not accept. When I use the recovery key, it does not accept it as well. Bitlocker has...
  8. How to recover data from bitlocker encrypted NVMe SSD with the recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to recover data from bitlocker encrypted NVMe SSD with the recovery key: HI I have a crashed machine with bitlocker encrypted NVMe SSD drive and I also have the recovery key. is there a method to recover data from it without taking out the drive from the machine?...
  9. recovering data from bitlocker encrypted drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    recovering data from bitlocker encrypted drive?: submitted by /u/Hamm103 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fjra4n/recovering_data_from_bitlocker_encrypted_drive/
  10. how to recover data from bitlocker encrypted drive without the key?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to recover data from bitlocker encrypted drive without the key?: Hi. how to recover data from bitlocker encrypted drive without the key? Is there any chance so far!! Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-data-from-bitlocker-encrypted-drive/30b23ce4-f79d-4d29-aac3-fcbe0a18e224"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recover data from bitlocker encrypted drive without recovery key and password