Windows 10: How to recover files erased by ctrl+Z

Discus and support How to recover files erased by ctrl+Z in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I cut and pasted some pictures from my phone to my hard drive. Then I started working on something else and pressed ctrl+Z a few times, carelessly.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by XNam360, May 1, 2022.

1. XNam360 Win User

How to recover files erased by ctrl+Z

I cut and pasted some pictures from my phone to my hard drive. Then I started working on something else and pressed ctrl+Z a few times, carelessly. Only afterwards did I realize that by pressing ctrl+Z too many times, the pictures that I had pasted got erased, because it undid the action when I pasted those files. Pressing ctrl+Y does not make the pictures reappear. They're no longer stored on my phone, since I cut not copied them. Is there any way to recover files that got erased due to pressing ctrl+Z?

:)

XNam360, May 1, 2022

2. Recover accidentally Ctrl+Z moved files from external device?

Earlier today I moved about 20 video files and 50 image files from my Android device (Some on the phone, some on the SD card), onto my windows computer (This PC/Videos). When trying to sort them out and ctrl
    click all image files to move them to my pictures, I accidentally copied about 30 pics into the same folder. To resolve I did ctrl + z a few times and before I knew it it had undone it to before the point where the files were moved to my PC. I tried to Ctrl
    + Y but it would not redo, they have not reappeared on my phone either.

I need to recover all of the files and really really hope that it is possible to do so somehow. They are not in my recycle bin as they were not deleted, just undone to before the point they were actually moved.

Any suggestions is really appreciated.

Thank you.

MatthewBurnett, May 1, 2022
  3. 2020 and ctrl-z problem deleting folders continues

Ctrl+Z will undo the previous action, e.g.

• When you insert a text into a Word document then Ctrl+Z will undo the insertion.
    • When you create a formula in a spreadsheet then Ctrl+Z will remove the formula.

It seems you expect Ctrl+Z to ask the user whether he really wants to undo the most recent action. This would constitute a major change of philosophy.

Frederik Long, May 1, 2022
  4. kr5811 Win User

Recover files on Z drive

Did you solve your problem? It looks like I have a similar one. I have an external drive that was somehow mapped to a Z drive in Windows 10. Problem is, I didn't realize what had happened, and took out the external drive, and now the drive is corrupt.
    Any suggestions on recovering what was in the Z drive would be helpful, as I can no longer see it now. Thanks!

kr5811, May 1, 2022
Thema:

1. How to recover files erased by ctrl+Z - Similar Threads - recover files erased

2. How to recover files lost by ctrl+z

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover files lost by ctrl+z: Look...
  3. How to recover files lost by ctrl+z

in Windows 10 Gaming
  4. How to recover files lost by ctrl+z

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to recover files erased by ctrl+Z

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover files erased by ctrl+Z: I cut and pasted some pictures from my phone to my hard drive. Then I started working on something else and pressed ctrl+Z a few times, carelessly. Only afterwards did I realize that by pressing ctrl+Z too many times, the pictures that I had pasted got erased, because it...
  6. Ctrl + Z erased data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl + Z erased data: I was working on editing together a compilation of clips of me and my friends. When I went to get a new clip to add to the editing software, I accidentally dragged a video into another folder. I thought "no big deal" and just hit undo. The issue is, it deleted the folder and...
  7. Ctrl + Z erased data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ctrl + Z erased data: I was working on editing together a compilation of clips of me and my friends. When I went to get a new clip to add to the editing software, I accidentally dragged a video into another folder. I thought "no big deal" and just hit undo. The issue is, it deleted the folder and...
  8. Ctrl + Z erased data

9. How to recover files lost by ctrl+z in Windows 10?

How to recover files lost by ctrl+z in Windows 10?: Here's steps to my issue:1. Made a new PNG file by making a duplicate of another PNG, by pressing Copy and Paste in a Windows 10 File Explorer.2. Did some edits to this duplicate PNG in Photoshop and saved it.3. Hit ctrl-z twice on accident in windows and now my file is gone....
  10. How to recover files lost by ctrl+z

How to recover files lost by ctrl+z: Remember this from 2014 with over 2000 people pressing "I have the same question" and nearly 100000 people searching for an answer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-update/how-to-recover-files-lost-by-ctrlz/74e7e588-e27d-4e04-8eda-5876ced6adaf...