Windows 10: How to recover programs (and data) from Windows.old after reinstall?

Discus and support How to recover programs (and data) from Windows.old after reinstall? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; G'day folks, I could not boot into Windows 10 after an automatic update overnight. NOTHING I tried would give me keyboard or mouse interaction after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vwq47, May 11, 2018.

1. vwq47 Win User

How to recover programs (and data) from Windows.old after reinstall?

G'day folks,
    I could not boot into Windows 10 after an automatic update overnight. NOTHING I tried would give me keyboard or mouse interaction after the "cave and ocean" screen. I could use both if I booted to a USB drive but I tried everything to no avail in trying to make the OS behave. The "Repair" option was not available in the process so I was left with no option but to reinstall. On booting afterwards ALL my programs have gone. A bit surprising there is nothing indicated along these lines - I guess it's a trivial issue for MS?

Folks, is it possible to regain the "lost" software from the Windows.old file? I have looked at Macrium software, but it appears nothing there does what I need, after talking with them. I'd rather not reinstall everything and have to re personalise it.

I lost all installed software when I initially upgraded to Windows 10 18 months ago, so am not pleased with this a Microsoft "feature".

Any polite suggestions would be most useful.

Thanks folks.

:)

vwq47, May 11, 2018
  2. Shilohbob Win User

File History, cannot restore files from previous Windows installation

Files & data from the previous W10 install maybe recovered from the 'windows.old' folder, which is found in the 'Windows' folder on your C/: drive, apps are not recoverable from this folder, you will need to re-install these from the original sources.

The 'windows.old' folder will be automatically deleted 10 days after the upgrade.

Shilohbob, May 11, 2018
  3. Data that was in windows.old folder in Windows 7 is deleted on Windows 10 after upgrade

I had a Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot. I chose to upgrade to Windows 10 but it failed causing me lose both my Ubuntu and Windows 7. I reinstalled Windows 7 using the recovery CD and was able to find all my Windows 7 data under Windows.old folder. I did
    not move this data to the new Windows 7 installation. I later chose to retry upgrading to Windows 10. This time the upgrade worked smoothly. However when I logged on to Windows 10, I see it has a Windows.old folder but does not have any data.

I think the upgrade only recovers data from previous Windows OS Users/program files however there if any data under windows.old folder that will not be recovered. Is there any way I can get this data back?

Thank you in advance.

harish shankara, May 11, 2018
Thema:

How to recover programs (and data) from Windows.old after reinstall?

1. How to recover programs (and data) from Windows.old after reinstall? - Similar Threads - recover programs data

2. How to recover data after reinstall the windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to recover data after reinstall the windows: I reinstalled my windows today so stupid! and lost all my data. The weird thing is that after I installed the windows, the data was still in the windows.old folder. But all data and files in the folder was gone on the second day I didn't restart it before I made a copy. Does...
  3. How to recover data after reinstall the windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover data after reinstall the windows: I reinstalled my windows today so stupid! and lost all my data. The weird thing is that after I installed the windows, the data was still in the windows.old folder. But all data and files in the folder was gone on the second day I didn't restart it before I made a copy. Does...
  4. How to recover data after reinstall the windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Issues recovering old drive data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues recovering old drive data: What I'm Doing:I have recently begun the task of recovering data from some old HDDs. It's all run pretty smoothly, but I have one disc that I particularly want to get data from as I know it contains photos that don't exist on any of the other drives. Obviously this is the one...
  6. Recover Data after reinstalling Windows.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recover Data after reinstalling Windows.: Recently , to upgrade my windows 10 build to latest build , I downloaded iso file and booted to sandisk. I try to install it on my SSD which have the previous windows installed. So I formated and when I try install on it, GPT partition style error occures.Then using cmd...
  7. How to recover data from an old laptop hard drive

How to recover data from an old laptop hard drive: I have a 2008 apple hard drive from an old macbook. I am trying to recover the files with my new laptop windows 10, however the hard drive seems to be password protected. I can open the hard drive but I cannot access the folders within the ''Users'' folder. Any suggestions?...
  8. Regarding recovering of data after reinstalling windows 10

Regarding recovering of data after reinstalling windows 10: Yesterday while using a photoshop, my pc automatically starts like misfunctioning. I had not any control over the pc. It hangs very hardly.. I tried to press alt+f4 to restart or shut down the pc... Finally it getted shut down.. After some while, when i tried to ON the pc, it...
  9. Hidden Data recovery from old partition after reinstalling windows 10

Hidden Data recovery from old partition after reinstalling windows 10: Hi! I have done re installation of windows 10 in brother's laptop. I don't know that there is an hidden folder in F Drive. Hidden folder contains his personal image. While reinstalling windows 10 I formatted all the drives and make new partition. Now, I used lots of recovery...
  10. how to recover data after reformatting

how to recover data after reformatting: good day I just wanted to ask how will I find my data. I reset my laptop (Windows 10), then I clicked don't delete my files, so the apps would be deleted. and now, how can I recover my apps like Microsoft Office Suite? I'm waiting for your reply. thank you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recover old partition after new partition is installed

2. how to reinstall application in windows.old after

3. windows 10 reinstall recover old programs

4. reinstalled win 10 how to use windows.oldto recover programs,
  5. retrieve programs from windows.old,
  6. windows.old recover programs windows 8.1