Windows 10: How to recover USMT.MIG files?

Discus and support How to recover USMT.MIG files? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Friends,My laptop crashed and I reinstalled Windows. During the process, a USMT.MIG file was created on my external HDD with the data recovered from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RASIKA99, Dec 1, 2022.

1. RASIKA99 Win User

How to recover USMT.MIG files?

Friends,My laptop crashed and I reinstalled Windows. During the process, a USMT.MIG file was created on my external HDD with the data recovered from my Laptop. Now I want to recover this data. I don't have advanced knowledge of these things. I read few articles, but did not able to recover data. Can anybody tell me how to do this in detail, please?

:)

RASIKA99, Dec 1, 2022
  2. BulldogXX Win User

MIG file - need to move

.mig files were created by Windows Easy Transfer or USMT.

Windows Easy Transfer was not included in Windows 10 and USMT is used to migrate large deployments in an enterprise setting. You can 'see' the .mig file in File Explorer but you can't do anything with it.

BulldogXX, Dec 1, 2022
  3. shrenik p Win User
    Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved

Hi,

My computer wasn't working so the only option left was to perform a system restore by backing up the files/apps/settings to a USB drive and resetting Windows. Once this backup/resetting process was complete, when I logged back a bunch of files weren't repopulated back and the USB drive contained a folder called Do_Not_Delete, which in turn had a folder called USMT. Inside this USMT folder there was a folder called migstore, which in turn had three folders, called apps, files, and settings, and a file called USMTBackupHistory.XML. Inside each of the apps, files, and and settings folders there exists a USMT.MIG files. I was able to check the USMT.MIG contained in files to find that it contained my Downloads folder, which had already been repopulated. However, the rest of my files in Documents, Pictures, and Music seemed to be missing. The interesting part is that the USMTBackupHistory.XML lists all the files that were transferred, and the files in Documents/Pictures/Music were included in these. It does say at the end that all (43227) items were transferred successfully to the USB drive. However those files don't appear on the USB drive themselves. If there's any way I could recover these files that would be helpful as it's about three years worth of files that I'm missing. Microsoft customer service has been unable to help at all.

After some research, I really think the problem has to do with OneDrive, but I'm not sure why. In the backup history, it seems that all files that didn't have /OneDrive/ in their path were successfully backed up to the USB drive, but all files that had /OneDrive/ were not able to be backed up.

shrenik p, Dec 1, 2022
  4. Macazine Win User

Recover files from Flash drive

According to me, the best flash drive recovery software which i have used and recovered files easily. It is very easy to use and within few steps you can recover data from flash drive. http://billhoyer.com/recover-corrupt-flash-drive-mac

Macazine, Dec 1, 2022
Thema:

1. How to recover USMT.MIG files? - Similar Threads - recover USMT MIG

2. How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?: I recently had to backup my failing internal hdd with windows 10 to a WD external hdd. I only backed up my personal files like pictures and videos. The backup was compressed into a .mig file called USMT.MIG. Idk How to extract/restore the .mig file with my data onto my new...
  3. How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?: I recently had to backup my failing internal hdd with windows 10 to a WD external hdd. I only backed up my personal files like pictures and videos. The backup was compressed into a .mig file called USMT.MIG. Idk How to extract/restore the .mig file with my data onto my new...
  4. Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved: Hi, My computer wasn't working so the only option left was to perform a system restore by backing up the files/apps/settings to a USB drive and resetting Windows. Once this backup/resetting process was complete, when I logged back a bunch of files weren't repopulated back and...
  5. Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved

Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved: Hi, My computer wasn't working so the only option left was to perform a system restore by backing up the files/apps/settings to a USB drive and resetting Windows. Once this backup/resetting process was complete, when I logged back a bunch of files weren't repopulated back and...
  6. Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Downloading MIG Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading MIG Files: Hello! I was forced to reset my PC, and the backup files are in .mig format. However, when I try to use PCmover, it seems to only be able to open .pcv files. Is there anything I can do to get my files?...
  8. Downloading MIG Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloading MIG Files: Hello! I was forced to reset my PC, and the backup files are in .mig format. However, when I try to use PCmover, it seems to only be able to open .pcv files. Is there anything I can do to get my files?...
  9. Downloading MIG Files

10. .mig files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .mig files: How to I open .mig files stored on a CD that are from my old computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mig-files/dd9911a6-8e13-440a-b960-f97fcd047e01"