Windows 10: How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections

Discus and support How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recently, I have started facing heavy data usage issues. Whenever I connect my laptop's wifi to my mobile hotspot, it consumes a lot of data even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Vaastav Shivhare, Feb 23, 2024.

1. How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections

Recently, I have started facing heavy data usage issues. Whenever I connect my laptop's wifi to my mobile hotspot, it consumes a lot of data even though my device is set as metered connection in my laptop. Under 5 minutes the "Data used by connected device" on my mobile read 100+ MB while on the "data usage" section in my settings of my laptop showed only 23 MB over last 24 hours.I made sure of these things that: 1. My mobile connection is set as metered connection.2. System updates were paused on my laptop3. System updates were disabled over metered connections.4. Nothing was being downloaded

:)

Vaastav Shivhare, Feb 23, 2024

2. High data usage and query about Metered connection on Windows 10

Hello Gary,

We realize the inconvenience you have experienced.

A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it.
    Mobile data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi network connections can be set to metered, but aren’t by default. Some apps and features in Windows will behave differently on a metered connection to help reduce your data usage.

To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:

• Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet.
    • Select Wi-Fi > Advanced options >
      Set as metered connection.
    You can analyze the data usage by navigating to Start /> Settings /> Network & Internet /> Data Usage
    and on the right side click Usage details. Check and see which app or application consuming more data. This will give clue on the root cause.

Keep posted if you require further assistance, we're happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 23, 2024
  3. Data usage

Hello Selfina,

You can view all the Windows Updates that has been installed on your computer through the
    Update history. To check, please follow these steps:

• Open Settings.
    • Select Update & Security.
    • Open Update history.

To help you reduce your data usage, please make sure that your WiFi network connection is set as metered.
    A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. For more information, you may check this article:
    Metered connections in Windows 10.

Note: Metered connection will let you decide when to install Windows Updates to control your data usage.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Antoneth Ber, Feb 23, 2024
  4. How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections

Metered Connection Option is gone!!!! HELP

• What's a metered connection?
      • A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi network connections can be set to metered, but aren't by default. Some apps and features in Windows will
        behave differently on a metered connection to help reduce your data usage.
      • To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:
        • Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet.
        • Select Wi-Fi > Advanced options > Set as metered connection.
    When I get to Advanced Options, there's no option for set as metered connection. Why? I can't set data usage limits or anything close to it.

-JSJ

Mook Sheppard, Feb 23, 2024
Thema:

How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections

1. How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections - Similar Threads - reduce heavy data

2. How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections: Recently, I have started facing heavy data usage issues. Whenever I connect my laptop's wifi to my mobile hotspot, it consumes a lot of data even though my device is set as metered connection in my laptop. Under 5 minutes the "Data used by connected device" on my mobile read...
  3. How to diagnose heavy CPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to diagnose heavy CPU usage: Windows Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.2728 Surface Pro i7 Fresh boot - CPU usage at 100% see image How do I troubleshoot this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-diagnose-heavy-cpu-usage/62af061f-288d-42d5-8be8-b49cc523a8a2
  4. Heavy data usage without any use

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Heavy data usage without any use: hello , i am facing heavy data usage in my laptop . it uses approximately 2 GB data in 5 to 10 minutes . i have tried setting it to metered connection , turned off all backgrounds data , also installed all the available updates for my laptop . but nothing worked for me . it...
  5. Data Usage / Metering

Data Usage / Metering: Why does the data usage keep throttling back my Mbps. I have removed the data limit, i have put it at unlimited, and it still want to revert back to limiting my Mbps. Getting a little irritating. Anyone else have/had this issue?...
  6. Heavy Data usage of Windows10

Heavy Data usage of Windows10: I bought a windows10 2020 july version. My computer is Dell intel core i5 8 th gen. So my problem is my windows consume a lot of data , without microsoft team or anything else it uses 1 mb/ 1 or 2 sec . My daily 4 GB pack will be exhausted in 2 or 3 hours. I tried metered...
  7. Heavy data usage by System,csrss.exe

Heavy data usage by System,csrss.exe: I am using only google chrome in my computer through wifi but certain software also start using my wifi data For example System,csrss.exe And my data starts draining fastly How can I fix it,As I am having limited data [ATTACH]...
  8. Reducing Windows 10 data usage

Reducing Windows 10 data usage: I understand that there is an option to set a connection as a metered connection. There is also an option in Settings/Data Usage to "Limit what store apps and Windows features can do in the background" by selecting "Always". What is the difference? Which is most...
  9. Data usage meter

Data usage meter: My data usage overview doesn't show the amount of data I've used for the past 30 days. Why is that and how can I resolve that problem ? Please answer. I need to check it often as my ISP is lying on Data Usage. Please check the image attached. Thanks.[ATTACH]...
  10. Resetting Windows 10 Data usage meter

Resetting Windows 10 Data usage meter: Is there any way to reset the WiFi Data Usage meter each month? 11967