Windows 10: How to reformat a SSD drive with OS on it, but no longer required?

Discus and support How to reformat a SSD drive with OS on it, but no longer required? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD which used to have my Windows installation on my desktop PC. Apparently there are two partitions on it. I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Fortitude, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Fortitude Win User

How to reformat a SSD drive with OS on it, but no longer required?

I have a 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD which used to have my Windows installation on my desktop PC. Apparently there are two partitions on it.

I would like to start using it as an ordinary external disk for my laptop.

What steps should I take to delete everything on it?

:)

Fortitude, Jun 14, 2019
  2. Ramon Imp Win User

Reformatting the c drive

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, we would like to know the following:

• What the exact error message that you're getting when you try to reformat your C: drive?
    • Why do you want to reformat your your C: drive?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue?
    • Did you make any significant changes to your computer prior to the issue?

We look forward to your reply.

Ramon Imp, Jun 14, 2019
  3. Recover or Reformat?

The reformat won't budge?

I did what you said and then was told to remove the CD from the CD-Rom Drive, put in the recovery CD and then press the 'OK' button to continue

So I changed to the next disk but the OK doesn't appear to be being 'pressed'. Yes I have pushed enter on the keyboard which is what I have been using to get me through the other steps..

Any suggestions?

Kymberly_S, Jun 14, 2019
  4. Carlo Fer Win User

wed can reformatting ssd

Hello Allen,

It seems that you're SSD is in a read-only state. Read-only is the same as write-protected.

As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest that you follow the steps provided by Angela Pun which helped a lot of community members in this
    thread.
    Make sure to select the SSD drive.

If the issue still persists, please follow these steps on how to format a write-protected SSD using Command Prompt.

1. Press the Windows key + R. A run dialog box will open.
    2. Type CMD then press Enter.
    3. Type diskpart
    4. Type list volume
    5. Type select volume # ( # is the number of USB HDD you've plugged in)
    6. Type attributes disk clear
      read-only
    7. Type clean

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Carlo Fer, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

1. How to reformat a SSD drive with OS on it, but no longer required? - Similar Threads - reformat SSD drive

2. Problem reformatting external SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem reformatting external SSD: Just got a Samsung T5 portable 2-TB SSD. Ran the included software, moved some files onto it, and went to bed. Realized this AM I'd forgotten to record the password. The files weren't that important, so I thought I'd just reformat the SSD. But Windows reports it will format...
  3. Reformatting SSD and not HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reformatting SSD and not HD: Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD. I...
  4. How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive: I used the "Create recovery drive" tool in Windows 10 to create a recovery drive on a USB stick. I no longer need that recovery drive and would like to use the USB stick for other things. I have been unable to erase or reformat the USB drive. I keep getting a write protection...
  5. Reformatting Hard Drives.

Reformatting Hard Drives.: I am in the process of backing up my entire PC to an external hard drive including a system image. After backing up I want to reformat my existing internal hard drive that contains the windows 10 operating system. My question is: Can I reinstall windows 10 after I have...
  6. Web Cam reformatting ssd

Web Cam reformatting ssd: How do I go about reformatting the ssd that appears to be write protected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/web-cam-reformatting-ssd/83e985a9-ff37-4b99-ab48-0b4595d3ec3f
  7. wed can reformatting ssd

wed can reformatting ssd: how do I reformat an ssd that seems to be set as write protected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/wed-can-reformatting-ssd/9d6ffacf-e8a0-4413-8bf5-fc9fe1d7e1ea
  8. Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition: Just cloned Windows 10 system disk from 230 Gb SSD to 900 Gb SSD using Acronis. New system drive works fine. Trying to remove the OS partition from old OS drive and get "OS (E*Smile Simple Volume is currently in use" and statement regarding forced deletion may affect...
  9. Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?: I have installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1 on another pc to try and i cannot remove it to re-install Windows 10 back on...i have tried altering BIOS Boot order by putting USB bootable Windows 10 flash drive but there is no option there for USB.. i tried creating a bootable 4.7 Gb...
  10. New OS SSD Drive

New OS SSD Drive: I'm confused with what, if I anything, that I need to do in order to activate Windows 10 once I replace/upgrade my OS SSD. I originally was able to take advantage of the free Windows 7 to 10 upgrade. What do I need to do with regard to activation once I re-install windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. format ssd with os on it

2. reformat ssd with linux os on it