Windows 10: How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct

Discus and support How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am the sole owner of my laptop and I switched my user account to a standard user account using the instructions in the link below. The account is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AdamDanz, Aug 6, 2020.

1. AdamDanz Win User

How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct

I am the sole owner of my laptop and I switched my user account to a standard user account using the instructions in the link below. The account is set up to log in with a fingerprint Lenovo ThinkBook. The problem is, now I cannot gain admin privileges since the only option it gives me is a fingerprint scan and the fingerprint is associated with my new standard user account. How do I regain admin control? I've searched for a solution but everything requires being able to log in as an admin.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-windows-10-non-admin-and-why#change_account_type

Section: "Check account type"

:)

AdamDanz, Aug 6, 2020
  2. Raner Win User

My admin account switched to a user account!

My account may have gotten corrupt in the update, Don't know for sure.
    I do know this, This mess is way above my paygrade...LOL...
    I really need some help to try to fix this issue.
    The attachments can explain far better than me trying type what exactly is going on.
    All I can say it's looks pretty darn complicated to me.
    I hoping it looks worse than it is.

How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct [​IMG]

How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct [​IMG]

I think the simplest way to address this is to make my account an administrator again.
    If it can be done, I'm going to need a step by step on how to do it.
    Let me know what you all think...Thanks...

Raner, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

Try3, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Raner Win User

Hi Try3, Thanks for the comeback...

I don't know if this is all you needed but if you need something else just let me know...Thanks...
    Here is the link to the Thread that got be to post this Thread.
    I'm down to the last thing that I need to address

Raner, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

1. How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct - Similar Threads - regain admin account

2. Is it possible to change my standard user account back into an admin account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to change my standard user account back into an admin account?: When I was messing around in my settings I accidentally turned my account into a standers account without realizing it. I’m the only account on my computer and there is no admin account. Please help...
  3. Auto logon as default standard account after switching user to admin account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Auto logon as default standard account after switching user to admin account: Hello,I'm trying to configure a computer with two accounts standard and admin so that the standard logs in automatically even after switching to the admin account. Currently, I've edited the registry so that upon power cycling the machine the standard account logs in...
  4. Auto logon as default standard account after switching user to admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto logon as default standard account after switching user to admin account: Hello,I'm trying to configure a computer with two accounts standard and admin so that the standard logs in automatically even after switching to the admin account. Currently, I've edited the registry so that upon power cycling the machine the standard account logs in...
  5. Auto logon as default standard account after switching user to admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to regain control of my admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to regain control of my admin account: I am the sole owner of my laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 2004, OS Build 19041.388). Yesterday I changed my account from an admin account to a standard user account and now I cannot access the admin account. Whenever I try to access the admin account it asks for a...
  7. How to regain control of my admin account

in Windows 10 Support
    How to regain control of my admin account: I am the sole owner of my laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 2004, OS Build 19041.388). Yesterday I changed my account from an admin account to a standard user account and now I cannot access the admin account. Whenever I try to access the admin account it asks for a...
  8. About accounts: Admin/Standard user?

About accounts: Admin/Standard user?: I just did a clean install of W10 for a friend. I havent set up a fresh install of 10 and am familar with the structure of accounts in W7> So. Clarify for me the "rights" of accounts(that i set up) in W10 Do they have adminstrator rights? Plan was to set up and Admin account...
  9. Can I generate a Standard account that is the same as my Admin acct?

Can I generate a Standard account that is the same as my Admin acct?: Accidentally posted this in a solved thread - sorry if you're re-seeing it. I set up my Surface book by using the Win 10 Admin account to install programs, port my files from the old PC, change preferences (no Cortana, hover-to-select/single-click-to-open, task bar and...
  10. My admin account switched to a user account!

My admin account switched to a user account!: My account may have gotten corrupt in the update, Don't know for sure. I do know this, This mess is way above my paygrade...LOL... I really need some help to try to fix this issue. The attachments can explain far better than me trying type what exactly is going on. All I...