Windows 10: How to regain control and options of the search function like it existed in older versions...

Discus and support How to regain control and options of the search function like it existed in older versions... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to be able to better limit the search area and the contents that I am searching for. In this case I want to only search the logical C: drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GregoryPerkins1, Oct 16, 2019.

1. How to regain control and options of the search function like it existed in older versions...

I want to be able to better limit the search area and the contents that I am searching for. In this case I want to only search the logical C: drive for the partial file name of *manual*.* I do NOT want to search in ONE DRIVE or any of the internet etc. I only want to find all the files on my logical C: drive that have the character string "manual" in the file name. IF the windows explorer search cannot any longer do this, then what 3rd party file management programs can do this? It would seem that there is a good opportunity for an outside competitor software company to come in with a strong search and file management capability to be used with Win 10.

:)

GregoryPerkins1, Oct 16, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

Search option is not working properly in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Are you referring to Magnifier in windows?

• Are you facing issues with Magnifier or Search bar?

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Restart the Service and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Services.msc In the search box.

• Select Windows Search.

• Restart the services and set the service as Automatic.
    Step 2: Run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing
      troubleshooter.

Reply with necessary information so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 16, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 search function not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Services.msc In the search box.

• Select Windows Search

• Restart the services and set the service as Automatic

Method 1: Run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing
      troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Oct 16, 2019
  4. How to regain control and options of the search function like it existed in older versions...

search function

Hello,

A possible cause of this issue is a corrupted index. To help you resolve the issue, we suggest rebuilding the
    Windows Search Index. Rebuilding the
    Windows Search Index will get rid of corruptions. For the steps on how to perform this procedure, please follow the steps below.

• Click the Start button.
    • Type Indexing Options.
    • Select Indexing Options.
    • Click Advanced. Click Yes, if prompted or enter the administrative password.
    • Go to Index Settings tab.
    • Click Rebuild.
    • Wait for the process to finish.
    The process may take a while to finish depending on your PC.

Please respond back with the results.

Devlin Sco, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

How to regain control and options of the search function like it existed in older versions...

1. How to regain control and options of the search function like it existed in older versions... - Similar Threads - regain control options

2. How do I revert the Start Menu search function to an older version and lock it there?

in Cortana
    How do I revert the Start Menu search function to an older version and lock it there?: To be frank, I absolutely abhor the inclusion of an internet search in the start menu. It's intrusive, it's malicious when you consider how tech illiterate the average customer is, and it's nearly impossible to turn off by design.But I was, begrudgingly, able to live with it,...
  3. How do I revert the Start Menu search function to an older version and lock it there?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I revert the Start Menu search function to an older version and lock it there?: To be frank, I absolutely abhor the inclusion of an internet search in the start menu. It's intrusive, it's malicious when you consider how tech illiterate the average customer is, and it's nearly impossible to turn off by design.But I was, begrudgingly, able to live with it,...
  4. How do I revert the Start Menu search function to an older version and lock it there?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to regain control of computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to regain control of computer: Updated and restored my computer and not I have no access to do anything, I cant open CMD prompt with admin I get check spelling error code. When trying to download a program I get a not valid short file name....
  6. SEARCH - OPTIONS - functionality reduced?

in Cortana
    SEARCH - OPTIONS - functionality reduced?: After one of the updates, the search options are not visible. Only after you do a dummy search does the option menu appears. Why? Also, once you do step 1, there is no longer an option to search by custom date??? What gives?. Is this another so called IMPROVEMENT?...
  7. How to regain control of my admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to regain control of my admin account: I am the sole owner of my laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 2004, OS Build 19041.388). Yesterday I changed my account from an admin account to a standard user account and now I cannot access the admin account. Whenever I try to access the admin account it asks for a...
  8. How to regain control of my admin account

in Windows 10 Support
    How to regain control of my admin account: I am the sole owner of my laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 2004, OS Build 19041.388). Yesterday I changed my account from an admin account to a standard user account and now I cannot access the admin account. Whenever I try to access the admin account it asks for a...
  9. How do I regain independent volume control?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I regain independent volume control?: Previously, I could set my Bluetooth Headphones volume to its highest with its built-in hardware buttons (Skullycandy - they beep whenever you hit the highest) and set my laptop's master volume to wherever I want. For example, I could set my headphones up to 100% and have the...
  10. How do I regain independent volume control?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I regain independent volume control?: Previously, I could set my Bluetooth Headphones volume to its highest with its built-in hardware buttons (Skullycandy - they beep whenever you hit the highest) and set my laptop's master volume to wherever I want. For example, I could set my headphones up to 100% and have the...