Windows 10: How to reinstall from WindowsImageBackup?

Discus and support How to reinstall from WindowsImageBackup? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had upgraded my windows 7 Premium to Windows10 and had taken an ImageBackup on External HDD. Unfortunately my Laptop HDD crashed and had to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SK_OL, Apr 9, 2021.

1. SK_OL Win User

How to reinstall from WindowsImageBackup?

I had upgraded my windows 7 Premium to Windows10 and had taken an ImageBackup on External HDD.

Unfortunately my Laptop HDD crashed and had to be changed. Now the original Windows7 has restarted functioning. When upgrading to Windows10, it rejects the Win7Premium key on my LapTop.

How do I get the Windows 10 key from my Image Backup.or how can I get the Windows10 on my Laptop now from the Image file?

:)

SK_OL, Apr 9, 2021

2. Win 10 WindowsImageBackup sub folder seems to have the incorrect time

Win 10 Home

Version 1703 with all available updates applied.

Control Panel \ Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

I have always thought the following represents the WindowsImageBackup folder structure.

WindowsImageBackup folder Structure (starting from root of drive)

• WindowsImageBackup
      • [Computer name]
        • Backup [date and time of backup]
          • A bunch of XML files
          • A bunch of .vhdx files
        • Catalog
          • BackupGlobalCatalog
          • GlobalCatalog
        • Logs
          • At least one .log file
        • SPPMetadataCache
          • At least one file with random letter/number combinations, separated by dashes, surrounded by {}’s
        • MediaId file
    In my case first sub folder (above) is not indicating any time that makes sense to me.

It DOES contain the correct date.

But not the time.

I created a new WindowsImageBackup folder structure earlier today at 3:00 pm Central.

But my folder ended up named "Backup 2017-08-21 195346"

Anyone know what the "195346" means ?

BTW, the date, time and zone are set correctly.

I'm so confused.

JustRayInWisconsin, Apr 9, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Reinstall System Image Question

To answer that specific question, Microsoft creates sytem images in the WindowImageBackup folder. It will ONLY look in this folder for images to restore. If you rename WindowsImageBackup in order to keep an old image, then you will have to rename it back to WindowsImageBackup before you can restore the image it contains.

Bree, Apr 9, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How to reinstall from WindowsImageBackup? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

1. How to reinstall from WindowsImageBackup? - Similar Threads - reinstall WindowsImageBackup

2. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  3. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  4. I reinstalled Windows 11 to change the OS language, but now my drivers are gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reinstalled Windows 11 to change the OS language, but now my drivers are gone?: I bought a computer in Japan I live here and had to reinstall Windows 11 to make the system show English since it came in Japanese, but now it seems many of my drivers - including graphics, audio, mousepad, and fingerprint reader drivers and, I`m willing to bet, many others -...
  5. I reinstalled Windows 11 to change the OS language, but now my drivers are gone?

I reinstalled Windows 11 to change the OS language, but now my drivers are gone?: I bought a computer in Japan I live here and had to reinstall Windows 11 to make the system show English since it came in Japanese, but now it seems many of my drivers - including graphics, audio, mousepad, and fingerprint reader drivers and, I`m willing to bet, many others -...
  6. How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall?: How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall? I never had the option to connect to Facebook either. I wasnt able to join a clan that I was invited to becuz I always got the "Oh No Something Went Wrong" message then it would kick me from the...
  7. How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall?

How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall?: How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall? I never had the option to connect to Facebook either. I wasnt able to join a clan that I was invited to becuz I always got the "Oh No Something Went Wrong" message then it would kick me from the...
  8. Why I cannot reinstall google chrome after doing the system restore? please enlighten me of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I cannot reinstall google chrome after doing the system restore? please enlighten me of...: I already tried installing google chrome too many times and watched videos on how to install too many times. i read the instructions and the same thing doesnt happen to me....
  9. Why I cannot reinstall google chrome after doing the system restore? please enlighten me of...

Why I cannot reinstall google chrome after doing the system restore? please enlighten me of...: I already tried installing google chrome too many times and watched videos on how to install too many times. i read the instructions and the same thing doesnt happen to me....
  10. Cant activate my win 11 pro after reinstall the system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant activate my win 11 pro after reinstall the system: Error 0xC004C003The activation server determined the specified product key is blocked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-my-win-11-pro-after-reinstall-the/2bfea9d2-94a1-4f48-b37e-18be1890cd94