Windows 10: how to reinstall win 10 pro for workstations with a storage pool configured

Discus and support how to reinstall win 10 pro for workstations with a storage pool configured in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, My old media center, running plex finally bit the dust, over 10 years old! I ran a noisy raid system that kept up with my 30 gigs of data.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TonyStubbs1, Apr 15, 2019.

1. how to reinstall win 10 pro for workstations with a storage pool configured

Hello,

My old media center, running plex finally bit the dust, over 10 years old! I ran a noisy raid system that kept up with my 30 gigs of data. I built a new system. When looking at the OS for the new system I chose windows 10 Home, it ran the system fine, but still had the noise from the raid system.

Reading through the net I found info on Windows 10 pro for workstations. Being that it supported multiple drive pools and ReFS, I felt I could down size to a less noisy multi drive system. Connected up 6 new 8tb external drives, setting them to a single pool with a spare and off it went. The system has been running excellent 24/7 for 6 or 7 months. Workstation actually runs Plex much faster than standard win 10.

Anyway, my OS SSD crapped out and a need to reinstall the OS,, now my question. I assume being I have a digital license for win 10 home and then upgraded to workstation, with a digital license, I need to go; will be doi through that process to reinstall, which is a pain but doable. what do I need to do with my existing storage pool, install the complete OS with the drives running and once workstation is installed it will pick it up as is, or do I need to turn off all drives during installation and then let workstation pick it up, or at worse case start from scratch on my storage pool with would take days to re-copy everything back to the drives, I do have a full backup.

Thanks

PS will b e doing mirror SSD's for OS this time around.

:)

TonyStubbs1, Apr 15, 2019
  2. Timba1210 Win User

Storage Spaces and Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro

I am planning on upgrading the hardware on my home media server (Plex). It runs on Windows 10 Pro (1809). My Storage Spaces disks are connected to my system via a dedicated RAID card, with the disks just configured as JBOD. It is a 16 disk pool comprising
    36TB of raw storage, configured within Storage Spaces to have parity, so I have about 21TB of usable space. I would like to know what steps I need to take in order to ensure that, once I have upgraded the hardware and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro to my OS disk,
    I can reconnect the RAID controller and have the Storage Spaces be recognized and accessible again. I cannot risk losing this data, and given the amount of it, making a copy beforehand is also not a possibility.

Timba1210, Apr 15, 2019
  3. Storage Pools

Hello,

I currently have windows 10 Home premium x64 and I am running a storage pool with no parity. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise and I want to know if I will lose my Storage Pool and the information in it?

Jon Holmes (Jholmes), Apr 15, 2019
  4. 333t Win User

how to reinstall win 10 pro for workstations with a storage pool configured

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

Thema:

how to reinstall win 10 pro for workstations with a storage pool configured

1. how to reinstall win 10 pro for workstations with a storage pool configured - Similar Threads - reinstall pro workstations

2. Win 10 Pro reinstalls as Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro reinstalls as Win 10 Home: I've seen a lot of posts but none that fit what I'm facing. I have an HP Envy that came with Win 8.1 Pro w/ MCE. It was upgraded to Win 10 Pro some time ago. During that process it had me remove the MCE since Win 10 didn't have it which was fine since it wasn't being used....
  3. Storage Pool missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Pool missing: Hello. I had four 4TB drives in a 8TB Storage Pool mirrored setup. I was trying to use the "Remove"-option to replace one of the disks. After clicking it, Windows became unresponsive and then bluescreen. When Windows booted back up, the Storage Pool was missing, and the...
  4. Add Storage Pool

Add Storage Pool: Hey guys, I am have trouble a storage pool to my small HP stream it comes up with error 0x00000032 If someone could give me step by step instructions on how to fix this it would be much appreciated. Thanks...
  5. Help with Storage Space under Windows 10 Pro for workstations

Help with Storage Space under Windows 10 Pro for workstations: I've had the newly built system running 24/7 for a year now running Plex under Windows 10 Pro. I recently upgraded to Workstation to take advantage of Storage Spaces. I have created a 6 drive 8tb storage pool using Parity/Refs file system. All has been working great, for 6...
  6. Storage Spaces and Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro

Storage Spaces and Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro: I am planning on upgrading the hardware on my home media server (Plex). It runs on Windows 10 Pro (1809). My Storage Spaces disks are connected to my system via a dedicated RAID card, with the disks just configured as JBOD. It is a 16 disk pool comprising 36TB of raw...
  7. Change pool storage type

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change pool storage type: Hello, I have just installed 6 new 8Tb disk into my computer, connected to the raid sata logins. I went into the windows storage spaces and created a new pool, and a new storage with all these disks. I did everything according to the information provided, i made a parity...
  8. Storage Pools

Storage Pools: Hello, I currently have windows 10 Home premium x64 and I am running a storage pool with no parity. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise and I want to know if I will lose my Storage Pool and the information in it?...
  9. Configure VMware Workstation

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Configure VMware Workstation: Hi, Based on a scenario, I have queries as following. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop. As guest OS, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are installed in VMware Workstation. I have to do a setup for networking...
  10. Storage pool 4 * 1TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage pool 4 * 1TB: I have a spare computer running windows 10 pro, running as a "server". I have added 4 1 tb harddrives and pooled them to have one storage space of +/- 4tb. my question is, If one of my drives fail will the whole pool be gone? i ask because i had created the pool and then the...