Windows 10: How to reinstall Windows 10 after HDD failure (only Win7 CD/licence present)?

Discus and support How to reinstall Windows 10 after HDD failure (only Win7 CD/licence present)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a USB 8GB Stick and a Win10 ISO file named - Win10_1803_English_x32.iso How do I get my 32bit PC running again using a replacement, formatted,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mike BISHOP 000, Oct 2, 2018.

1. How to reinstall Windows 10 after HDD failure (only Win7 CD/licence present)?

I have a USB 8GB Stick and a Win10 ISO file named - Win10_1803_English_x32.iso

How do I get my 32bit PC running again using a replacement, formatted, empty HardDisk, following the hardware failure of my Win10 Boot Disk? This was a free Win7 to Win10 upgrade (a genuine Win7 CD/licence is present)

I only have a creaking, old XP PC with Internet access which I used to download the ISO.

A Media Creation Tool is mentioned but I cannot find it, using my XP PC.

As a re-install is needed, is it sensible to upgrade to 64bit?

:)

Mike BISHOP 000, Oct 2, 2018

2. Reinstalling Win7

Hey all,

Nub question, but need reassurance before I do this.

I want to reinstall Win7 on my SSD and don't want to lose the data on my 2 other HDDs in the rig (2tb data drive is essential to not lose w/ the reinstall). If I pop the discs in and completely format the OS drive, reinstall, and run.... will the system just recognize the new "old" hdds??? Thanks

jasper1605, Oct 2, 2018
  3. Renewing Windows 10 Licence Key after HDD failure

Hi,

I had activated my Windows 10 licence on a new PC I've built myself. Sadly, the HDD died on me and I had to replace it.

I reinstalled Windows, and now it claims my key is invalid. Is there any way to use this key, or do I need to buy a new one?

In case I do need to buy a new one, there's something else I need to know: the reason the hdd failed is a motherboard shortage. This motherboard is faulty, I'm going to have to replace it as well, and apparently if I make substantial hardware change I may
    need to get a new licence (maybe if I sneeze too hard next to the computer it will invalidate my licence too?). Do I actually need to wait until I replace the motherboard?

Thanks in advance,

Tarek.

TarekSaidBr, Oct 2, 2018
  4. How to reinstall Windows 10 after HDD failure (only Win7 CD/licence present)?

Transfer free Windows 10 Preview 10240 from HDD to a new SSD

I've acquired the free Windows 10 licence from Insider program. I don't have neither Windows 7 or 8 licence. System is installed on my spare and slow HDD.

• Can I transfer or reinstall Windows 10 on my main HDD or on a new SSD? Will the system activate properly after clone or reinstall?
    • Where I can find the product key which were given to the preview members?

radzioradzio, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

How to reinstall Windows 10 after HDD failure (only Win7 CD/licence present)?

1. How to reinstall Windows 10 after HDD failure (only Win7 CD/licence present)? - Similar Threads - reinstall HDD failure

2. how do i reinstall win 10 on old hp machine after hdd failure?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i reinstall win 10 on old hp machine after hdd failure?: have booted from flash drive to install win 10 on new hdd but drive is not initated and does not show up in disk part help... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reinstall-win-10-on-old-hp-machine-after/fa44c2e5-ac5e-4e5f-af2d-371cd77c8eb0
  3. Windows 10 slow hdd performance after win7 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 slow hdd performance after win7 upgrade: Anyone knows whats the issue?? My win10 pc must be restarted after some time all the time because my non-system secondary HDD gets up to 100% and very high avg. response time which bogs the whole system down, even though the windows is instaled on an ssd. After a restart...
  4. Office Pro Plus 2016 - Win7 transfer to Win10 licence failure

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office Pro Plus 2016 - Win7 transfer to Win10 licence failure: Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2016 has been running for about 2 years under Win7 (Dell laptop x64) I now wish to transfer Office Pro Plus 2016 to a new Win10 system (Dell Inspiron 17 3793 laptop; supplied with multiple Office 365 versions - and since all deleted) I have...
  5. Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.: I bought Windows 10 Pro 2 years ago and at the time on that computer it worked as an in-situ upgrade without issues. Ive since had to change computers and reinstall and it doesn't seem to exist any more. The windows install is the OEM supplied Win10 home. When i attempt...
  6. windows 10 reinstall after HDD replaced

windows 10 reinstall after HDD replaced: Hello The HDD in my laptop has failed and I want to replace it. How do I get my current version of Win 10 up and running on it? make a windows start up disc ? - I have taken note of my win 10 key, once a new OS is installed can I just activate it with the same key...
  7. Win 10 Home Single after HDD failure and reinstallation of OS

Win 10 Home Single after HDD failure and reinstallation of OS: I was using a notebook with pre-installed Windows 10 Home Edition and upgraded to Pro edition, purchased on November, 8 2016. Because of virus problem, I wiped all the HDD, including partitions and installed back Windows 10. I logging with my Microsoft account for few days...
  8. looking for win 10 licence for used machine (and backups for hdd failure)

looking for win 10 licence for used machine (and backups for hdd failure): Recently the hard drive on my computer died, causing me to buy a replacement computer; this computer. This is a refurbished computer that came with Windows 10. On the case is a sticker that says only "Windows 8 Pro" without any additional information (such as a product key)...
  9. HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7: Hi guys, I hung out a lot in the 7 and 8 forums, but my first time here.... Strange problem plaguing my otherwise dependable system. Win 10 boots from a Samsung SSD, while win 7 boots from a 1 TB seagate HDD. Lately, this 1TB HDD is simply not detected when booting into...
  10. Reinstalling-Clean Install from CD iso-after a botched return to Win7

Reinstalling-Clean Install from CD iso-after a botched return to Win7: A friend could not get the AU version to install on his laptop in Sept. He knee jerked and had Win7 clean reinstalled. I think he didn't double check that Win7 needed to be activated so now his Win7 is not in full status. Somehow he cannot make the step to contact Microsoft....