Windows 10: How to reinstall Windows 10 using AHCI mode and will it activate?

Discus and support How to reinstall Windows 10 using AHCI mode and will it activate? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone! I recently decided to switch to AHCI mode so I could use Ubuntu alongside Windows. However, it said that I needed to change SATA mode from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Simulant123, Jun 11, 2020.

1. How to reinstall Windows 10 using AHCI mode and will it activate?

Hi everyone! I recently decided to switch to AHCI mode so I could use Ubuntu alongside Windows. However, it said that I needed to change SATA mode from RST to AHCI. So I searched up some guides on how to do it and none of them worked. This time I touched wrong configurations and Windows won't boot in any SATA mode, I'm getting an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error if I'm on RST and endless "Loading Automatic Repair" screen on both modes. So I decided that I need to reinstall Windows - however, I have some questions. The first one is - how to reinstall Windows using AHCI and will it work in that case? And the second one - will it activate if I haven't previously bond a product key to a Microsoft account? Thanks in advance!

:)

Simulant123, Jun 11, 2020
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    RAID vs AHCI mode

IDE = the old standard
    AHCI = IDE + NCQ and hotswap support
    RAID = same as AHCI, but the ability to use RAID modes.

If you change a drive in/out of RAID, it has to be formatted. So yes, you have to reinstall windows if you use RAID at a later date. You do NOT need RAID to have multiple drives.

Mussels, Jun 11, 2020
  4. KubekVF Win User

How to reinstall Windows 10 using AHCI mode and will it activate?

Change SATA mode to AHCI from IDE

I was able to change it now (I also had some issues with NICs so I decided to reinstall my PC but I wanted to keep my files, programs, settings .... ). Here is how:

• Lunch application "setup.exe" from path "c:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows\" (simply running upgrade to 10 again, but this time from windows 10)
    • After first reboot, change SATA mode to AHCI and let Windows finish upgrade
    • Everything should be fine now
    I am now running my disks in AHCI mode now and even don't have (so far) issues I had before.

KubekVF, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

How to reinstall Windows 10 using AHCI mode and will it activate?

1. How to reinstall Windows 10 using AHCI mode and will it activate? - Similar Threads - reinstall using AHCI

2. windows asking to reinstall after switching to ahci

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows asking to reinstall after switching to ahci: I needed to dual boot my windows 11 with ubuntu on dell laptop. When i started installing ubuntu i needed to switch to ahci and i did it without the safeboot process and now my ubuntu installed succesfully. I can access all my windows data from ubuntu but when i try to boot...
  3. How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?: Hi everyone. I have been trying to install Linux which requires AHCI mode so that I can use both Windows and Linux in my system. I looked up on internet but none of the solutions worked. I changed my driver from Device Manager and rebooted my device, after which I saw endless...
  4. How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?: Hi everyone. I have been trying to install Linux which requires AHCI mode so that I can use both Windows and Linux in my system. I looked up on internet but none of the solutions worked. I changed my driver from Device Manager and rebooted my device, after which I saw endless...
  5. How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  6. Windows won't boot in AHCI mode.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't boot in AHCI mode.: So I'm currently using a WhackBook (aka Hackintosh laptop). In order for macOS to boot, you need to have the SATA mode set to AHCI. For whatever reason, Windows will not boot in AHCI mode. It sends me to advance startup options, and selecting "Start Windows normally" there...
  7. Changing RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10: Hi there, I have a Dell XPS 13 7390, x64, Microsoft Windows 10 Home, IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 core, bios: 1.4.0, latest version, 16,0 GB. I need to change my setting from RAID to AHCI, but want to avoid a new installation of Windows 10...
  8. How to change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10: How do I change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10, so I can use a MSATA SSD for caching with IRST? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-from-ahci-to-raid-without/0d2b9a8a-f8d8-4a67-ac73-9fab3f217d03
  9. How to change AHCI mode HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change AHCI mode HP Laptop: How to change AHCI mode HP Laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/win-10/f884e5df-a7ff-4f8c-9d21-9409c8d85007
  10. Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode: I built my system with a Samsung 950 PRO m.2 NVMe SSD as the Windows 10 boot drive (C*Smile, plus a pair of old-fashioned SATA-III hard drives configured in RAID1 as my data drive (D*Smile. The SSD is plugged directly into one of the m.2 slots on my motherboard. I have the...