Windows 10: How to reinstall WindowsApps applications without having to redownload everything

Discus and support How to reinstall WindowsApps applications without having to redownload everything in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Good Morning, After a Win10 reset, all of my WindowsApps installs are gone, which is expected. However, the WindowsApps folder is still present (on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by VincentNguyenQuangDo, Sep 16, 2019.

1. How to reinstall WindowsApps applications without having to redownload everything

Good Morning,

After a Win10 reset, all of my WindowsApps installs are gone, which is expected.

However, the WindowsApps folder is still present (on D:, my second drive, as I install all big size apps on a mechanical HDD), but none of the apps within are recognized anymore by Windows Store.

Worse, if I try to select the D: drive to install new SW, it states "this drive belongs to another computer, selecting D: will erase all existing store content".

I have 400GB of data. On a xDSL connection at 15Mbps/s. I'm not going to redownload everything again...

So please please, is there a way to force Windows to recognize and register the content of the WindowsApps folder, without having to redownload everything.

I could understand if I had to download a few MB of data (encryption and such), but everything else ? Pretty much all store front end out there (Steam, Origin, Uplay, BattleNet, GOG, etc) offer this basic capability of reusing existing content.

Thanks for the help

:)

VincentNguyenQuangDo, Sep 16, 2019

2. WINDOWSAPPS FILE

Hi,

For us to provide you an accurate resolution regarding your WindowsApps folder issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • Send us a screenshot of your WindowsApps and WindowsAppsOld folders so that we can double check the issue.
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Sep 16, 2019
  3. S.cloris Win User
    WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Sep 16, 2019
  4. How to reinstall WindowsApps applications without having to redownload everything

Can't reinstall WindowsApps

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

1) What is the exact error you get while reinstalling apps?

I suggest you to check the with different user account.

To Create a new user account refer to the below steps:

1. Go to Settings.

2. Choose Accounts and then
    select Other User Accounts towards the left.

3. Select
    Add an Account.

4. Enter a
    user name and hit Next.

5. Click on
    Finish.

6. Sign out from the
    current Account and Log into the new account.

7. Check if issue persists.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to reinstall Windows 10 default apps and check if it helps.

1) Open PowerShell as an administrator. To do this, click the Start button to open the Start menu, go to
    All apps > Windows PowerShell and right-click on Windows PowerShell.

Click Run as administrator from the dropdown menu. You may see a pop-up window asking you if you want to allow this app to make changes to your computer -- click
    Yes to proceed.

2) Type or paste the following code into the PowerShell window:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"

3) Press the Enter key.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

How to reinstall WindowsApps applications without having to redownload everything

1. How to reinstall WindowsApps applications without having to redownload everything - Similar Threads - reinstall WindowsApps applications

2. How to fix redownloading & reinstalling microsoft defender updates loop which is already...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix redownloading & reinstalling microsoft defender updates loop which is already...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8NGLwMX7EU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-redownloading-reinstalling-microsoft/9d3d52a4-7f34-43ce-badd-cc7f64aacbf9
  3. Is there a way of rolling back windows updates without logging in or having it redownload?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way of rolling back windows updates without logging in or having it redownload?: The new windows update is forcing me to log in with my microsoft account which I can’t log into. I tried rolling back the update via advanced settings but when I continue to windows 11, it just redownloads it. Is there a way to stop this?...
  4. Is there a way of rolling back windows updates without logging in or having it redownload?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way of rolling back windows updates without logging in or having it redownload?: The new windows update is forcing me to log in with my microsoft account which I can’t log into. I tried rolling back the update via advanced settings but when I continue to windows 11, it just redownloads it. Is there a way to stop this?...
  5. How to restore the system without reinstalling?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore the system without reinstalling?: Hello. How to restore the system without reinstalling Windows 10? What files need to be moved to the hard drive with damaged windows?I don't want to run windows recovery to save the old settings and installed applications.Problem: I rebooted the laptop, the installation of...
  6. Using Game Pass Games On Different PCs Without Having To Redownload

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Game Pass Games On Different PCs Without Having To Redownload: Hi, My son and I both pay for Game Pass, we have a PC each. A game like Forza is a massive download 70gb+. Is there a way to copy the game from my sons PC onto my PC so I dont have to redownload it again. Both machines are networked, so if I can find where to copy the...
  7. How do I repair/reinstall WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I repair/reinstall WindowsApps: I updated the permission on the WindowsApps folder in an attempt to get a game controller to work with a game, and now the game won't load; It involved changing the folder's permissions to the current user from TrustedInstaller. After performing the initial change, it...
  8. how to cascade windows for ONE application WITHOUT having to minimize everything else in W10

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to cascade windows for ONE application WITHOUT having to minimize everything else in W10: how can I cascade windows for ONE application WITHOUT having to minimize everything else? PLEASE! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-cascade-windows-for-one-application-without/17035dbe-d84f-4466-9ef3-2bcff57e247f
  9. 'reinstall Windows without losing installed applications' Where?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    'reinstall Windows without losing installed applications' Where?: I'm sure I've seen somewhere on tenforums about reinstalling windows (using the Media Creation Tool) without losing my installed applications but I can't find it. Could you give me a link to the tutorial (if the above is indeed possible)? 122873
  10. Application/everything crash

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Application/everything crash: Sorry if this isn't the right thread, I'm new but really struggling with this error/crash that happens on my laptop often! It frequently happens when I play a game, the game will close automatically and I will be presented with an I/O error message? It closes everything and...