Windows 10: How to reliably copy data from one USB storage device, to another?

Discus and support How to reliably copy data from one USB storage device, to another? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 2 external USB storage devices. They are 2T each in size. My mobo has USB 2.0 specification. I find that if I copy the data from one device to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by W10User123, Nov 9, 2019.

1. How to reliably copy data from one USB storage device, to another?

I have 2 external USB storage devices. They are 2T each in size. My mobo has USB 2.0 specification.
    I find that if I copy the data from one device to another, if the data is quite large (both in MB size, and also in the number of files), that the copying process slows down so much, that I have to cancel the operation, and I also must reboot my machine, as everything becomes strangely unresponsive.
    The only way that I have found to copy data over reliably, is to copy over one folder at a time!
    Is there a better way to do this? Is there some software on the net that I can download, that can copy data reliably, from one USB device, to another, irrespective of whether there is a lot to copy, or not.
    Thanks a lot for any comments!

:)

W10User123, Nov 9, 2019
  2. btarunr Win User

WD and NEC Electronics Collaborate to Promote USB 3.0 with New Storage Devices

WD, the world's leader in external storage solutions, and NEC Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723), a leading provider of semiconductor solutions, today announced that the companies have collaborated to promote the new SuperSpeed Universal Serial Bus (USB) 3.0 standard, a next-generation interface to be used in a wide range of electronic devices including PCs, PC peripherals, and digital appliances.

USB 3.0 is capable of supporting data transfer rates of up to 5 gigabits per second (Gbps), which is 10 times faster than the previous high-speed USB 2.0 transfer speeds. With its higher speeds and enhanced power efficiency, external hard disk drives are the first SuperSpeed USB 3.0 devices to appear on the market.

As the first step toward WD's and NEC Electronics' goal to promote the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 standard, the companies plan to develop a USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP) driver to deliver hard drives with very high performance, mass-storage capacity. UASP is a new industry-standard, high-performance mass-storage protocol being developed for SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to overcome the performance boundaries of the Bulk Only Transfer (BOT) protocol, which has been used for traditional USB 2.0 speeds. The new UASP driver will be used with NEC Electronics' USB 3.0 xHCI (eXtensible Host Controller Interface) host controller (part number µPD720200), which appeared on the market as the world's first USB 3.0 host controller in June 2009.

Key features of the new UASP driver:
    • Support for the UASP mass-storage protocol
    • Data transfer rate is enhanced by 30 percent, with optimized power efficiency and smooth interoperability, compared to the existing BOT protocol
    • NEC Electronics' license program is available for any LSI (large scale integration) vendors who develop UASP-based LSI devices
    "The wide adoption of external storage, for both expanding and backing up internal computer storage, highlights the need for faster interface transfer rates. The USB 3.0 interface offers a significant advance in data transfer speed," said Robert Caddy, Jr., vice president of engineering for WD's Branded Products Group. "We are pleased to collaborate with NEC Electronics as a leading supplier of USB host devices in the introduction of USB 3.0 technology to the storage market."

"Partnering with WD enables us to combine our USB transfer technology with WD's data storage technology and provide added value to our customers," said Masao Hirasawa, deputy general manager, Home Multimedia Division, NEC Electronics Corporation. "Starting with the new HDDs, WD and NEC Electronics are working together as the industrial leaders to expand USB 3.0 marketplace offerings with the highest quality and performance solutions while speeding time to market."

btarunr, Nov 9, 2019
  3. USB Mass Storage device is an older USB device and moight not work with USB 3.0

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down

Click Hardware and Devices

Click Run the Troubleshooter

When complete, restart to see if the problem is resolved.

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click the USB Mass Storage Device in the list

Click Uninstall

Restart then check if its detected and working.

Other things you can try:

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Nov 9, 2019
  4. How to reliably copy data from one USB storage device, to another?

VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP in Workstation Player on a Windows 10 laptop.

My USB CD/DVD drive is able to mount in the Player. So is a flash drive.

My Western Digital ssd (My Passport Ultra) is listed in "Removable devices", but fails to mount, giving this error:

How to reliably copy data from one USB storage device, to another? [​IMG]

In the Virtual Machine settings, the USB controller is using usb 2.0.

The WD ssd is compatible with usb 3.0 and 2.0, and is supported by Windows XP. My desktop computer running Win XP has no problem mounting the drive.

The device manager in virtual Win XP shows it as an "unknown device."

I've read everything I can find on the problem, and tried a number of suggestions from the knowledge base at VMware as well as solutions via google searches.

Perhaps the WD ssd just won't work on the free version of VM Workstation Player (v. 14).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul Bacon, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

How to reliably copy data from one USB storage device, to another?

1. How to reliably copy data from one USB storage device, to another? - Similar Threads - reliably copy data

2. How to change data from one account to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change data from one account to another: I had received a share of Microsoft 365, but the account in my windows is different from the one that has Microsoft 365 on it , i want to transfer all the data in my main account to the one with Microsoft 365, is there a way I can do this?i tried to make the account on my...
  3. How to change data from one account to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change data from one account to another: I had received a share of Microsoft 365, but the account in my windows is different from the one that has Microsoft 365 on it , i want to transfer all the data in my main account to the one with Microsoft 365, is there a way I can do this?i tried to make the account on my...
  4. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  5. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  6. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Copying files from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Copying files from one computer to another.: I have several NTFS formatted portable HDDs that when new files are copied onto them from one machine and I attempt to read them on another machine the new files don't appear. I've tried to use chkdsk in command mode with the /f switch, but that will not run because I'm...
  8. How to copy from one flash drive to another?

How to copy from one flash drive to another?: How do I copy the folders from one flash drive to another and preserve the folder modification dates and security permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-copy-from-one-flash-drive-to-another/fcf961df-ce99-4ea8-b13a-45179f677093
  9. Storage spaces - How to move external USB drive from one port to another

Storage spaces - How to move external USB drive from one port to another: Based on everything I read about Storage Spaces, I thought it would be possible to move a drive from one USB port to another, with no issue. But when I do that, Storage Spaces doesn't recognize that I've reconnected the drive. Is there some trick? Or must I use the same USB...
  10. How to transfer data from one account to another?

How to transfer data from one account to another?: When I first got my laptop I signed in on a old account. I stopped using the account a few months ago and decided to make a new one. Is there anyway to add the new account and delete the old one without deleting any off my files? I tryed making a local for now but when I sign...