Windows 10: how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...

Discus and support how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by vigilian, Mar 6, 2019.

1. vigilian Win User

how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...

Hi,

I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is:

Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM device anymore. I previously had encrypted my disk with bitlocker. Is there a way to relink bitlocker and the TPM device (still according to the error message) or is it just the bitlocker way to say that another encrypting software have changed the data?

I need to say maybe that I'm not stuck, I have the recovery key recorded somewhere else and so I jsut need to type it in each time. It's just that it is not supposed to ask that at eahc boot.

In the perfect scenario I would like that veracrypt is still used and so asking me at boot the password and then bitlocker would be still in use but not asking me for the recovery key. I don't see or understand why bitlocker can't verify the TPM device anymore just because veracrypt did encrypt the disk afterwards?

yes I'm under windows 10 Pro

:)

vigilian, Mar 6, 2019
  2. ZachWax Win User

use veracrypt with bitlocker?

Thanks! That let me make my choice! I decided to just use veracrypt since in my opinion the whole tpm thing is a bit controversial and I can remember passwords fine. I don't want to do anything crazy (ha, coming from a person whose two favorite programs
    are cmd.exe and the linux terminal)

ZachWax, Mar 6, 2019
  3. ZachWax Win User
    use veracrypt with bitlocker?

Can I first encrypt my drive with veracrypt then encrypt it with bitlocker for two layers of protection? I know my device is compatible with both.

ZachWax, Mar 6, 2019
  4. Solaris17 Win User

how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...

Windows 10 devices now requires hardware encryption/TPM

You know those are just encryption softwares right? the TPM by itself encrypts nothing.

EDIT: looking back at your statement about software and your endorsement of the now unsupported truecrypt I am going too assume you use the software extensivly and maybe fell upon this in there wiki article?

If it is I would like to re-iterate that the TPM is a very secure method of obtaining a key to use in conjuntion with supported software to encrypt any device. The article and truecrypts stance on TPMs relies on the assumption that it can be broken if you have physical access, which means it must not be secure. However I would remind you that in any security experts eyes physical access is the highest level of access you can have with a machine.

I would then counter with software cannot be any more secure than a physical piece of hardware responsible for generating a code because as even true crypt stated a keylogger can be used to lift the password. Encrypted data means nothing on a machine that is infected. Its like running bitlocker on a hard drive with a keylogger and my bank info. Encryption does nothing to protect my bank account. Likewise truecrypt veracrypt bitlocker are all just software resources used to encrypt a hard drive.

They only provide you with protection if a drive is physically read from another machine. A TPM is not an encryption device. It is a device used to generate a key based off of the hardware in a given machine to help add an extra layer of protection to encryption software using that key as a PARTIAL unlock sequence (any software that uses a TPMs code does not use it exclusively it simply uses it in conjunction with a software key generated to unlock your data) thus is the hardware changes the code changes which inturn renders the drives unlockable unless you use the emergency unlock sequence provided too you by the software vendor.

Solaris17, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

1. how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for... - Similar Threads - relink bitlocker TPM

2. Encrypted using bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted using bitlocker: My servers were attacked by an attacker and the attacker has encrypted all of my VMs using Bitlocker. The attacker is asking for a payment of 1btc for the decryption key. Is there a way that Microsoft can help me decrypt my data? Otherwise, I would have no choice but to pay...
  3. Encrypted using bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypted using bitlocker: My servers were attacked by an attacker and the attacker has encrypted all of my VMs using Bitlocker. The attacker is asking for a payment of 1btc for the decryption key. Is there a way that Microsoft can help me decrypt my data? Otherwise, I would have no choice but to pay...
  4. Bitlocker Device Encryption

Bitlocker Device Encryption: Does bitlocker Device encryption change your recovery key each time you turn bitlocker on/off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-device-encryption/3283ade2-2838-48ca-b2e2-68b244410f96
  5. Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?": Hi everyone, I just got a new laptop running Windows 10 Home and I'm going through all the steps to secure my device and set everything up. I was planning on using VeraCrypt for drive encryption, but noticed that "Device Encryption" is already enabled. I didn't really know...
  6. Device Encryption and BitLocker

Device Encryption and BitLocker: Hello MS Community! Posting a subject name as Device Encryption and BitLocker, would it be correct to have it as: BitLocker Device Encryption and standard BitLocker? It's been way too late for me to know about Device Encryption and I hope the experts about this subject...
  7. Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  8. BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?

BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?: Hello everyone, Since choosing to encrypt the ENTIRE drive with BitLocker which can take very long time to complete, can I encrypt the Used Disk Space only when re-installing Windows 10? When there is a need for me to reinstall Windows, here is how I do it. 1. Boot...
  9. Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging

Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging: I am trying to create a Windows 10 image for my organization, and cannot figure out one particular issue with Bitlocker. It seems that after I sysprep, and throw the image on a new computer, it then has BitLocker partially enabled. What I mean is that when going to the About...
  10. BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?: Hello As far as I understand BitLocker allows only to encrypt entire disk. I need to encrypt my personal files (financial documents, identifications) in fast reliable and flexible way. I was using TrueCrypt in past and it was very convenient - create folder , put there all...