Windows 10: How to remove a user account with admin status in my PC

Discus and support How to remove a user account with admin status in my PC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I bought a new PC and haven’t login to my account yet. One day I found out my sister logged in to her account on my computer and now she is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sarah1299, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Sarah1299 Win User

How to remove a user account with admin status in my PC

I bought a new PC and haven’t login to my account yet. One day I found out my sister logged in to her account on my computer and now she is the administrator.How can I remove her account from my computer? Please help.Goddd I’m sooo maddd at herr

:)

Sarah1299, Jun 11, 2024
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jun 11, 2024
  3. Try3 Win User
    About the initial status of 'Admin' user accounts

I would like to add one comment that I believe will be useful.

About "I thought the fact that "Administrators" were listed in the permissions meant that all Admins had access, but apparently not."

When you log on using an account that has "Admin" status, you are logging on using only its underlying "Standard" authority.
    - In other words, Windows treats Admin users as Standard users until it is told otherwise.
    - That's how Windows works.
    - You have to deliberately invoke your Admin status to achieve anything that needs it and that Admin status lasts only for the job that you have invoked it for.
    - That's why you will see that Admin challenge when doing certain jobs -

How to remove a user account with admin status in my PC 229381d1554212379t-windows-10-permissions-issues-admin-consentui.png

In case this is confusing, I can put it another way.
    - When you log in using your Admin account, you are only a potential Admin.
    - You are not an Admin until you deliberately invoke your Admin status and that Admin status lasts only for the job that you have invoked it for.

All this is why following Bree's advice about giving a named account access to that folder was the correct thing to do for your 'potential Admin' account to be able to write to that folder.
    - Before this change, your Administrators only had access after they had invoked their status.

If I have merely confused you further then please say so.

Denis

4. Try3 Win User

My admin account switched to a user account!

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

Thema:

1. How to remove a user account with admin status in my PC - Similar Threads - remove user account

2. How to remove a user account with admin status in my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a user account with admin status in my PC: I bought a new PC and haven’t login to my account yet. One day I found out my sister logged in to her account on my computer and now she is the administrator.How can I remove her account from my computer? Please help.Goddd I’m sooo maddd at herr...
  3. Admin and User Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin and User Account: Hello,Sorry for the basic of not already asked questions:When I set up my new windows 11 laptop I am the admin and have a Microsoft account. I’m told I should also have a user account. Is that true?Which should be local?If I make the admin local would I still have access to...
  4. How to remove a user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove a user account: Hi,I have received my PC back after having the hard drive changed.I need to remove the guy who fixed my PC's user account but am unable to as it says that he's signed in.Is there any way I can remove it?ThanksK...
  5. How to remove a user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a user account: Hi,I have received my PC back after having the hard drive changed.I need to remove the guy who fixed my PC's user account but am unable to as it says that he's signed in.Is there any way I can remove it?ThanksK...
  6. How to remove a user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. admin/user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    admin/user accounts: Is there a way to let standard user accounts have access to programs downloaded under the admin account of a Microsoft laptop? Woiuld it depend on the program downloaded? I feel like there is a way to do this but I just can seem to remember. The accounts would be on the same...
  8. User Account Status

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Account Status: I Changed My User Status To Device Owner And Now I Am Unable To Access Through The Other User And I Have Also Lost Some Of My Files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-account-status/62f30e1b-8c89-44dd-89b9-89ffd2aacb21
  9. Admin status

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin status: I had admin status on my this old computer using Office 2013 but did not have it on my new computer with Office 365 and now I no longer have it on this old computer either. How do I get it. Please just give me the path, not a link. I just received a message on my new...
  10. My admin account switched to a user account!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My admin account switched to a user account!: My account may have gotten corrupt in the update, Don't know for sure. I do know this, This mess is way above my paygrade...LOL... I really need some help to try to fix this issue. The attachments can explain far better than me trying type what exactly is going on. All I...