Windows 10: How to remove an unwanted partition without losing anything

Discus and support How to remove an unwanted partition without losing anything in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have recently built my own PC (With help). During the initial setup process my friend helped me create a partition on my ssd. I would like to remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Holden, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Holden Win User

How to remove an unwanted partition without losing anything

I have recently built my own PC (With help). During the initial setup process my friend helped me create a partition on my ssd. I would like to remove the partition without losing anything.

I have a 250 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. My OS and personal data is on the SSD. I want to keep everything where it is at or at least be able to put it back.

Forgive my ignorance but is there any way to move EVERYTHING to my HDD, clean the SSD, then move it back.
    Sorry if this is 101 stuff, I could not find a straight answer to this question anywhere.
    (I need basic explanation or step-by-step)

Here is an image of the partition:

How to remove an unwanted partition without losing anything [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

:)

Holden, Nov 13, 2015
  2. JimWynne Win User

how to do partition in a disk without losing data

I understand what partitioning is. What I don't understand is why you answered a question that was asked of someone else.

JimWynne, Nov 13, 2015
  3. how to do partition in a disk without losing data

divide the memory in different parts. this means hard drive memory is divided in different virtual drives. you would have seen in your computer c drive, d drive etc. that's your on hard drive divided in virtual drives

Jaspreet Singh1, Nov 13, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Your SSD with Windows was installed with all needed partitions to function properly so why would you want to clean it ?

EDIT: The last partition is unallocated and I think your friend did it intentionally so you can create a partition to store your personal data and leave Windows OS by itself. This is a good setup.

FYI,
    The first partition (450MB) contains a set of tools (WinRE.wim) to allow creation of Recovery USB/CD to boot from to troubleshoot Windows
    Second partition (100MB) contains code to boot Windows. Without it, you won't be able to boot
    Third partition (16MB) is a MSR reserved and hidden from Disk Management
    The last partition is your C drive.

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2015
  5. Holden Win User
    Ok that makes sense. I will just leave it then. How do I use the unallocated space though? For example, when I want to save a game to that space?

Holden, Nov 13, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Open Disk Mangement, right click on the unallocated partition->New Simple Volume, follow the screen to create/format/assign a Drive Letter then you can use it to store anything.

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove an unwanted partition without losing anything - Similar Threads - remove unwanted partition

2. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  3. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  4. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?: On occasion I have tried to copy files to a MSFT standard folder but get an error there is not space.This is due to the folder is located in a partition, with other folders, that is to small to hold all the data.I have to copy the files to a "data" folder.So I would like to...
  6. How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?: On occasion I have tried to copy files to a MSFT standard folder but get an error there is not space.This is due to the folder is located in a partition, with other folders, that is to small to hold all the data.I have to copy the files to a "data" folder.So I would like to...
  7. How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Multiple partitions; is there a way to shrink and merge without losing anything

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple partitions; is there a way to shrink and merge without losing anything: I have multiple partitions on my C: drive, including a few recovery drive partitions. The right-click that allows for merging, deleting etc has the options grayed/untouchable. I have been trying to clear up and merge space, remove duplicates etc.[ATTACH]...
  9. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  10. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...